Author Topic: Chiner single speeds. Show your pics!!  (Read 8009 times)

Ray Zorbak

Chiner single speeds. Show your pics!!
« on: June 21, 2014, 08:52:40 PM »
I'm jonesin' to build up a stiff, super-light single speed and would love to see what others have done.

Chadding

Re: Chiner single speeds. Show your pics!!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 06:53:00 PM »
Well, these aren't mine but I have them saved to my hard drive bc at one point I was wanting a SS. Thought I might as well share:

Ray Zorbak

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 08:11:23 PM »
Nice

Ray Zorbak

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 11:02:54 PM »
What bottom brackets are y'all using with your respective cranks?

Ray Zorbak

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 07:50:56 PM »
I'm also wondering what hubs these guys are running.  Have any ideas Chadding?

Chadding

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 08:41:36 PM »
What bottom brackets are y'all using with your respective cranks?

Just get the BB30 frame and use the beer components EBB http://beercomponents.com/?page_id=588

That's what I was going to before deciding to go witha 1x10 set-up. I've read lots of good things about the beer components and have seen a few guys use it successfully on a chiner frame.

As far as the hubs I was going to go with good old Hope Pro 2 Evo SS.

Where are you at in the build? Planning stage? Wishing stage? Almost finished stage?

Ray Zorbak

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 11:02:48 PM »
planning at this point.  considering all costs and options.  want to build a very light but durable rigid SS.  looking at hub options in the 12x142 category and there's not many.  Hopes are ok, but I want them to be fairly quiet and lighter than the Hopes.  I'd like to just build a set of the Chiner 35mm carbon rims with some Stan's 3.3 SS hubs but can't seem to find a place where I can buy just these particular hubs for my own custom wheelset.  That and I'd like to hear more ride reports from those who have finally built up their 256SL.

mattedhead

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 10:30:22 AM »

I'm running mine SS.

FM-056 Frame
Hope Evo Pro II hoops with Arch EX Rim (I have 30mm Carbon hookless rims enroute now...looking at I9 or 321 hubs)
Maxxis Ikon F/R 2.35/2.2
SRAM 24mm crank w/ spiderless AbsoluteBlack Chain ring (32-34t)
Endless Cogs KickAss cogs (17-21t)
EBB by Beer Components (BB30)
VCRC Carbon Post
FIZIK Tundra Carbon Saddle
Race Face Atlas (720mm?) bars
60mm Stem  (can't remember brand)
XT Brakes
ESI chunky grips
SRAM 870 chain?
XPEDO pedals
FOX Float 32 100mm CTD though I also run it rigid with a carbon fork occasionally

The bike has been great and stood up to a ton of abuse.  Only issue right now is what appears to be a slight cracking in the top coat where the EBB contacts the carbon adjacent to the BB but this appears to be cosmetic and is a result of how the EBB mounts.

Not really sure on weight but it was 18ish rigid with bar ends and heavier tires.  Once I get the new wheels mounted up I may try to get a weight on it.

If anyone has any questions regarding running this frame SS don't hesitate to ask.

JackBNimble

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 11:57:54 PM »
^ How difficult is it to install that Beers EBB? And does it require special maintenance, or anything like that?

mattedhead

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 01:06:26 PM »
Not difficult at all.  It slides in by hand and is tightened by two bolts.  It comes with Phil Wood bearings that have been absolutely trouble free.  To adjust, loosen the crank bolt, then loosen the 2 bolts for the bottom bracket, rotate EBB to desired tension and snug everything up.

If you are using a SRAM/Truvativ crank you will need the small adapter in addition to a few BB spacers.  I have my bike pulled apart after the last race for cleaning.  If you would like any specific pics let me know.  I'll probably build it back up this evening.

Ray Zorbak

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 12:18:56 AM »
Am I correct that the Beer ebb is only for BB30 cranks?  What about XTR cranks?

mattedhead

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 02:53:49 PM »
It's only for BB30 bottom brackets, but works only with standard 24mm cranks, so yes XTR will work fine and you won't need any of the SRAM conversion bits.

mattedhead

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 12:23:21 PM »
Updated pics coming next week:

New build in process - 30mm Carbon Hookless Rims built to Project 321 Hubs, Sapim Laser (Gold \ Black combo)
New Wipperman Chain
A few new ano bits
New rubber

Ray Zorbak

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 10:35:05 PM »
I'm contemplating having my frame painted a gloss orange on the insides of the frame with the primary color simply being the 3K gloss finish when I order it.  I want to put an orange Niner rigid RDO fork on the front--when looking at XMiplay's paint scheme grid, which would you pick as being the closest to Niner's orange?

adym

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 08:16:08 AM »
Anyone using a normal hub and a chain tensioner?  I am tempted to run mine SS, but only have a SS town bike so far (with a chain tensioner), so not sure how that will translate to XC where there are more hills!