Author Topic: P8 Geometry change? Now known as P1  (Read 15105 times)

emu26

P8 Geometry change? Now known as P1
« on: September 12, 2018, 10:46:18 PM »
Does anyone know if the P8 has had a geometry change?  I ask because the chart I have been given for the P8 is different from that on the Ican site.

Of note, the BB drop seems to have changed from 48mm to 24.1mm, the 48mm was what was holding me back from getting one. I would be interested at 24mm.  Have asked Ican but not received any response.

https://www.icanbikes.com/html/MTB/27_5ER_frame/334.html#bk_desc_tab

Edit 28/10: ammended the title.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 10:13:39 PM by emu26 »

Bos

Re: P8 Geometry change?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 09:40:55 AM »
That is interesting.

I have a P8 MK I which I enjoy. If I had to complain about something, the slack seat angle and yes maybe the rockstrikes.  I live in a very rocky area and I do get quite a lot of rock strikes, however I'm not always sure if 20mm would have made the difference... only way to know is to compare against another bike. The lower centre of gravity might do more good than bad. The Width of the Plus size seat stays are just massive, and might be reason alone to get the now version since they toned it down a bit (it actually touched on my buddy's calves, luckily I hardly have any so I'm ok. .

After reading the review of the Heller bikes "Bargheist" (http://reviews.mtbr.com/heller-barghest-plus-bike-review )I asked Melody at ICAN if it was a P9 seatstay and Rocker link they were using and If its available seperately.

She answered as follows:

For the frame P8 ,we will have a new version ,a little change for the seat stay and the triangle ,and the bottom bracket will be higher from the ground
Later will send you geometric chart

Seat stay ,triangle link and screws ,US$120/set
Will be ready in early Sep if book now

However, She now tells me its not available separately anymore.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 09:48:05 AM by Bos »

emu26

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 06:27:29 PM »
Bos, thanks for the reply.

Can I just clarify that you are saying that there has definitely been a revision to the geometry and that what I have posted is actually the new geometry chart?  That you also believe there has been a change to the width of the seatstays  with the newer version now being narrower?  Do you know if that is a change to just the external width or does also change the maximum tyre size? 

Sorry if I'm asking the obvious it's just I having a lot of trouble getting clarification from the person I am speaking to and have tried several times to contact ICAN directly without a response to date.  What email address are you using for them?  As a side note I have been talking to this ebay seller for a while and originally it was Melody but it changed about 3 weeks ago and now is "Debby". Since that change there has been numerous changes she has made to the original ebay listing, sadly also upping the price about $150A.

Thanks for your help, it is appreciated.

Bos

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 02:23:30 AM »
Sorry for the clumsy geo figures but what I had Is the below.
So It does seem there are slight changes like reach, stack etc..slight tweaks
As far as the clearance goes, Im not sure. What tires are you looking to run? It looks like the pic on the Ican website is updated as well? It looks like it has  a curve in the seatstay just before the rocker pivot, similar to the P9 and Barghest bikes. if you look at the similarities in the pics I attached. However one cant be sure, Its a bit frustrating not being able to get proper answers from them.

I am speaking to them directly and bought direct from them. What bike are you coming off? Personally, I was looking for a one bike quiver kind of setup and I'm really happy. Like I said, one or two things could have changed, slightly, but its working fine for me and I'm already able to rip down trails that I could never have dreamt of previously (110mm bike) while staying reasonably happy with the long ride performance, although a second wheelset would sort that out.

There's another thread on the P8 that you might have seen, about 4 of us uploaded our experiences building, but don't hesitate to ask. (some pics from that thread)

ICAN P8
travel F                  120
travel R                  120
Toptube                  630
reach                  450
wheelbase                  1183
chainstay                   446
Bbdrop   
BB height                   320
Head tube Angle   68
Seat tube angle           74

Bos

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 02:28:20 AM »
If you look at the photo comparisons ..

But its speculating, cant be sure.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 02:29:58 AM by Bos »

emu26

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 05:20:21 PM »
Hi Boss, thanks for those detailed replies and the pics.

I'll start by saying that Melody has got back to me and confirmed that there has been a geo change, that she has now updated the Ican website to reflect the new geometry but she didn't go on to ask exactly what had changed. So, you are on the money and are obviously correct as far as those little tweaks go.

I'm currently riding a circa 2013 On-one Carbon 456 with 650b wheels on a 26", 3 position Talas. At 120mm the bike has a bb height of approx 342mm.  I'm in Sydney so we have lots of sandstone ledges and step ups that have to be cleared and even at that height I am conscious of timing to avoid pedal strike, given that is with a hardtail I'm sure you can see why I was holding off going to a dually with 20mm
 less un-sagged clearance.

Like you I am looking for a bike that I can do most things on and whilst I will be keeping the 456 I want to make sure whichever bike I am on I enjoy whatever I might encounter on that ride. I'll be getting rid of a 2006 Spec Enduro Expert and a circa 2008 Titus Racer-x to help fund this project, not that I am expecting much from those.  I did have a checklist I wanted, including BSA, and this is about as close as I have been able to get with any of the frames I have been looking at.

As for tires, Realistically I probably won't go bigger than 2.8's, everything I am reading seems to suggest that is the sweet spot for finding the best combination of grip, pressure and weight but I have never ridden plus size before so that may change.

Anyway, Melody is now communicating with me so we will see what comes of it. Unfortunately the $A is doing so well at the moment against the US$ so that also plays a factor.

Again, thanks for the help, it is appreciated.

Oh and as a note, Melody claims they don't sell on ebay. That may just be to make sure she gets my sale, I didn't push her on the Ican-bikes or Imust-bikes accounts.

3GGG

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 02:07:47 AM »
new geometry confirmed

emu26

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 10:50:07 PM »
So looking at the geo charts closely it would appear that with an axle to crown length of 551mm on all size frames, this is based around either a 150mm 27.5 + fork or a  140 29er fork, certainly when it comes to Fox specs at least.

https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=804

endo.alley

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 08:58:52 PM »
Looks like they steepened the head angle by 1/2 degree. From 68 degrees to 68.5 degrees. That is going in the wrong direction. They should slacken the head angle by a degree or two instead. Then they would have a real winner.

SSStu

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2018, 06:42:47 AM »
New Frame is called the P1

emu26

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2018, 04:42:16 PM »
That does look to be the case. The geometry charts are identical and yet they still have the frame listed as P8 and complete bike as P1.

Very strange, or someone has made a mistake with the uploaded files.  That does explain why the ebay listings have changed the geo charts for the P8 back to the original ones.

emu26

Re: P8 Geometry change? Now known as P1
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2019, 04:43:29 PM »
So, has anyone tried the P1 yet?

trouble

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2019, 02:30:04 PM »
I've got the P1.

Enjoying it a lot, however i haven't got the experience to tell you if its better than others. I prefer mine above my friends YT jeffsy. Just feels nicer.

Running it 130 mattoc 120 mcleod, and DT 1700 25mm 29". I live in Denmark, so no big stuff here.

trouble

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2019, 02:32:59 PM »
Here's a few pictures of it.

emu26

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2019, 05:10:12 PM »
Looks good trouble.

Could you please measure height from ground to centre of bottom bracket?  Thanks.