Author Topic: IP 036 Interchangeable Dropouts  (Read 3382 times)

arrjay

IP 036 Interchangeable Dropouts
« on: June 24, 2014, 11:54:18 AM »
Hi all,

First time poster, but I've been harvesting information from the forums for a little while now as I prepare to build my first carbon full suspension bike.

I've previously built up a road chined, and love it.  Lots of miles, solid as a rock.  Though I did opt for the frame that requires a proprietary seat post/clamp (Scott Foil replica) that has posed some minor issues.

Building up this bike will be budget-minded, so I'll be pulling most all parts from my current hardtail.  My current bike has 135mm rear dropouts, so my current wheelset also has this spacing.  I know there are devotees to the new standard, at 142 x12, but I'll need to spread the cost out over time so I'd like to stick with this wheelset for a little while.

My questions to the forum are:
-What feedback can you give about the interchangeable dropout option that allows 135 or 142x12 (a $20 upgrade from ICAN/Miracle vs 135mm)?
-For an XC racer/rider is the difference between the two options tangible?
-Might I just convert my 135 QR to a througbolt and achieve similar gains in terms of stability?
-Any experience with an ICAN/Miracle IP/FM/MC-036? (My road bike was from them and I visited their offices in China last year, so I'm comfortable with the company and assume the frame is more or less identical...)

Thanks!

Carbon_Dude

Re: IP 036 Interchangeable Dropouts
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 02:41:55 PM »
Hi arrjay, welcome to the forum.

My response to your questions are as follows:

First and foremost, most of the members here would recommend ordering your next frame from Peter at XMiplay, they are great to work with and have very good pricing.  However, if you have established a relationship with another vendor that you feel comfortable with, order from them.  As far as the frame goes, they should be similar.  There have been some people making the claim that frames from Flyxxi are not as high quality, possibly seconds, and that's why that vendor is cheaper but nobody knows if any of that is true.  They may just sell a lot of frames and by default just have more complaints.

Second, regarding your drop out question.  In my experience, the only real advantage to the 12x142 thru axle for XC/Single track riders like myself is convenience of wheel removal/install.  People can talk about flex and stiffness in a wheel but I believe they are imagining that the difference can be noticed in a thru axle vs QR.  You are going to feel way more flex in the tire, rim and spokes before you ever feel flex in your axle inside your hub.  That should clear up most of your questions.

When I built my two Chiners, did I go with thru axle, hell ya!  Why, because I was buying all new parts anyway so why not jump into the latest standard.  Since you have legacy components you want you use, just go with the standard QR and later if you want to get a new wheelset, upgrade your frame to the thru axle standard.  If I were you, I would order an extra set of 12x142 drop outs as well as QR, that way you will have them for any future upgrades.

2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

arrjay

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 03:35:39 PM »
Thanks Carbon_Dude.  Great advice on all counts.  I'm a big fan of both of your builds.  I'll get a thread going when the build starts!

davidriddel

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 09:56:39 PM »
When I built my two Chiners, did I go with thru axle, hell ya!  Why, because I was buying all new parts anyway so why not jump into the latest standard.  Since you have legacy components you want you use, just go with the standard QR and later if you want to get a new wheelset, upgrade your frame to the thru axle standard.  If I were you, I would order an extra set of 12x142 drop outs as well as QR, that way you will have them for any future upgrades.

Hey Carbon_Dude, I'm embarrassed to ask, but are the frames actually the same rear wheel spacing for the 135mm QR and 12x142 thru axles? Is the extra 7mm only in the replaceable dropouts?  So, if I have a 135mm 29er, I could seek replacement dropouts so that I can use my 12x142 wheels on both bikes?

Cheers!
N+2 change my Al CX to C
Also - Yoeleo 650B Dually YCMSF10 and Cyclocross for daughter
Progressively changing all family bikes to carbon-my effort to sequester China's carbon for climate change

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 05:53:20 AM »
I believe that is correct, you can convert from QR135 to 142x12 thru axle by changing the drop outs on most of the Chiner frames.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Eaglecoeye

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 10:26:59 PM »
It's not problem at all To understand it easily.