Author Topic: Ican P-9 geometry  (Read 8469 times)

endo.alley

Ican P-9 geometry
« on: October 27, 2018, 11:42:14 AM »
I am wondering how accurate is the stated head tube angle of the Ican P-9 ? When I place a photo of a completed P9 (Triaero enduro 29) alongside a photo of a Hightower LT, the Hightower LT appears to noticeably be slacker. Although Hightower LT states 66.4 degree head tube angel. And P9 states 66 degree head tube angle. I know that comparing manufacturer photos may not depict actual angles. Anyhow, I am looking for a somewhat slack geometry enduro oriented 29er. And the P9 looks interesting.

chetosmachine

Re: Ican P-9 geometry
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 09:56:10 AM »
I read 66 degrees on my phone for my P9. I have 160mm Revelation fork, and same 29x2.3 tires front and rear.

endo.alley

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 12:00:23 PM »
Thanks. What app do you use on your iPhone to measure angles? That sounds like a pretty good app.  As I said, another bike with similar stated geometry appeared slacker than the P9. Anyhow, I wondered if the  571 mm measurement for axle to crown on the geometry chart was the reason. Since most 160mm travel forks are shorter than this. You may have to go 170mm to get that head angle. But if a 160mm gives the stated head tube angle, great. That is all I was looking for.

chetosmachine

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 04:20:51 PM »
I have 29" version of the 2018 RS Revelation fork, i have no clue the length but must be around this data.
I used the "measure" app.
On a Huawei i got 66° too, so both are in the same range. We are speaking of phones, so i would not bet a single penny on those readings though.

endo.alley

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 04:20:06 PM »
How do you describe the handling? Does it feel relaxed?, Or quick handling? Or slower handling? Does it seem to work best bombing downhill with high speed straight lining?, or slower poppy technical riding? Or something else entirely? Anyhow, it is hard to judge a bike's performance solely from geometry data and photographs of the bike. So personal subjective description is helpful. I like the looks of the bike. I was asking about true head angle because I think that is one of the more important variables in how a mountain bike rides. But of course head angle alone is not the only thing that matters.

Silverado123

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 10:40:14 PM »
Its interesting because the brand Evolve sells the P9 as the Alpha 29. On Evolves website they have the HA as 65 deg. Do you guys think they have special rocker link?Or is it a misprint on someones part?https://evolvebikes.ca/products/alpha-29

chetosmachine

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2018, 04:09:45 AM »
@endo.alley  sorry didn't answer you before. Actually, i don't know what to say, i have not tried that many bikes. It's my first 29" and it's good handling bike, it's easy to go fast, and on some turns, my front tire wants to skid a bit. Is it because of the tire or because my position or because something else? No clue untill next spring when it will be less cold.

@Silverado123, it's annold move to fake a bit on the geo numbers to maje a product "more desireable", given that Evolve is gaining quite a lot of money per frame, they have to stand out against the chinese direct sellers.
With 160mm , 29" version, RS Revolution, my phones didn't read 65, but 66.