Author Topic: Component Advice for Fat Bike Build- Please help!  (Read 1735 times)

nmgoes

Component Advice for Fat Bike Build- Please help!
« on: December 06, 2014, 08:20:39 PM »
I'm doing my first bike build on a carbon fat bike (frame from Velocarbon off ebay).  It's a 19" frame and I ordered the carbon wheelset too (also from Velocarbon)- I wouldn't recommend ordering from them, FYI.  You can get the same stuff and slightly cheaper from Ican.  Also,  I already got a 120 mm Rockshox Bluto- super excited!

I just need help choosing some components.  I can't decide how high end to go considering I'm a 205lb.  rider and paying a lot of money for a few grams may miss the forest for the trees. 

The bottom braket is BB30 and the rear spacing is 190mm. 

Sillly question- but I haven't seen a crankset with BB from Shimano that would fit a BB30?  Is that correct?  Most I see are BB70.  Is there a way to convert it?  Any thoughts on using Shimano, Race Face or SRAM?

I see plenty of SRAM and some RaceFace BB30 out there.

I was looking at doing a 1X11 set up, but not sure if the price point over doing a 1X10 is worth the money.  Any suggestions on that? 

I'm thinking of using the Specialized Ground Controls for my tires- but not sure if I should try to go tubeless or not- any thoughts?

Lastly, any thoughts on doing a groupset deal or is it better to purchase things individually?

Any comments and links are appreciated gents- thanks for the great forum and comments. 

Pedalphil

Re: Component Advice for Fat Bike Build- Please help!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 02:53:31 AM »
What are you using it for?  Snow, sand, trails?  Is it hilly?  Guessing trails or you would not be bothering with the Bluto.

1 x 11 is very nice.  1 have X01, and an e13 crankset - not recommended as BB seals are pretty ordinary - Raceface have a good reputation on fat bike cranks.  28T is fine for my purposes - I use on trails with a full bikepacking setup and I am self sufficient for about a week, depending on water availability. So I can be carrying 22kg of gear (incl 7L of water).  If you are not loaded and its not super steep a 30T front is fine.

XT or SLX brakes (running 180mm on front - due to loads carried)

As for Tubeless - definately the way to got you will be running very low psi, so snakebites are more than possible if you ride aggressively - carbon rims make the setup much easier - Gorilla Tape is good.

nmgoes

Re: Component Advice for Fat Bike Build- Please help!
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 10:32:27 AM »
Thanks for the response!

That helps.  I did decide on the 1x11 set up and yes it is primarily for trail riding in the Kansas City area (which is surprisingly technical, but with limited elevation gains).  I want to to be able to ride when the ground is too soft to ride my Stumpjumper and snowy.

Chain Reaction had a good deal on XX1 1x11 drivetrains and I also bought the Shimano Deore M615 hydraulic brakes with 160mm rotors front and rear.  On the spec sheet for my frame, it said that it would take only the 160mm rotors.  I hope I didn't shoot myself in the foot my going with the 160 vs. 180mm rotors- thoughts?

I am going to run the 30t chain ring in the front, I think. 

As for the cranks and bottom brackets; I really hard a time finding anything other than SRAM to fit a BB30. 

Any comments you can make on tires?  I am thinking of doing the Specialized Ground Controls with a 4.6 width.  I'll take your advice and run tubeless with the Gorilla tape.  I'm open to other tires too, but haven't read good things about Vee rubber.  Was debating between the GCs and Surly Lous.