Author Topic: The Different Types of Carbon Fiber and Their Characteristics  (Read 27782 times)

MTNRCKT

Hey guys, new to the forum and for my first post I thought I'd at least try to make it a good one. I had read somewhere on this forum where someone suggested starting a thread like this, and I thought it was a good idea, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

I've done a lot of reading on these frames and carbon fiber, in general over the past few months and will attempt to layout the different kinds of carbon fiber, and a few things you need to know about each, below.

First of all, you have the outer visible layer that can be in one of three different "weaves" and all three either be matte or glossy. So you ultimately have 6 finishes to choose from. The choice is PURELY cosmetic, one is not better/stronger/lighter than another.

You have UD finish, 3k finish, and 12k finish, and like I said, glossy or matte in either of the three.

UD Matte

UD Glossy

3k Matte (my personal fav)

3k Glossy

12k Matte

12k Glossy

Will continue in next post with different characteristics of the actual carbon fiber that lies below these outer cosmetic layers. There are a few different kinds and variables, and unlike the weave selection, they do vary in strength/durability.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 08:22:23 AM by MTNRCKT »

Sitar_Ned

Re: The Different Types of Carbon Fiber and their Characteristics
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 10:41:35 PM »
Great post MTNRCKT. Look forward to the rest..

One thing to note to anyone that may be reading this is that some finishes will take longer to get bc they sellers don't seem to keep them in stock as much. I know when I ordered mine I was going to go with the 3k matte but it was always sold out and therefore would have been a bit of a waiting period. The UD matte on the other hand, always seems to be in stock and available. Perhaps it is the most popular or easier to make? Not sure, but thought I'd point that out to anyone that's trying to choose. Ask about availability of the different finishes before you get your mind set on one.

Andy

Re: The Different Types of Carbon Fiber and their Characteristics
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 10:48:35 PM »
Great pics.  Thanks MTNRCKT.  I like the 3k weave too however my favorite is the 3k gloss.  There's just something about that shiny, Clear gel coat that appeals to me.  But they all look cool to me, heck I just love carbon!  :)

raph662

Re: The Different Types of Carbon Fiber and Their Characteristics
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 01:30:57 AM »
Check out yoeleo site for better understanding carbon weave.
http://www.yoeleobike.com/blog/difference-of-carbon-fiber-weave-3k-12k-ud/

When we refer to 3K ,12K , UD weave, it just the cosmetic looking, the inner contructure is all UD.

jokage

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2021, 01:58:35 AM »
... the inner contructure is all UD.

That's not what I understood. It's true that the outer most layer is usually for the cosmetic purposes, but a frame (or a rim) should utilizes various weaves at certain areas and layers based on the calculated forces, e.g., if an area is expected to receive forces for one specific direction, it might be more efficient with UD. If there will be forces from various directions for an area, it might be good to have a combination of certain weaves. CMIIW.

This is what I found from a quick search: https://www.elevatedmaterials.com/carbon-fiber-weaves-what-they-are-and-why-to-use-them/

jokage

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2021, 02:04:22 AM »
It will be nice if this thread could also explain the differences between various tensile strengths and tensile modulus, e.g., T700 T800 T1000.