Author Topic: Tantan FM08  (Read 3740 times)

ZiggyMTB

Tantan FM08
« on: January 20, 2019, 05:29:45 PM »
Newbie hear.  Been reading posts trying to get the courage to pull the trigger on a Chinese carbon frame and build my own bike.  I have been looking at many manufactures and it’s all so confusing.  I want something with modern geometry like many others.  There seems to be much talk about it on many other posts.  But I keep going back to Tantan’s FM08 frame.  Anybody have any experience with them or even better this frame?  Any other recomdations on other frames?  Appreciate any and all comments both positive and otherwise.  Here is the link to frame.

http://www.tantancycling.com/index.php?_m=mod_product&_a=view&p_id=662

« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 08:31:41 PM by ZiggyMTB »

Verbl Kint

Re: Tantan FM08
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 10:25:02 PM »

Geo looks good, a bit more up to date than the ICAN P9 owing to:
  • shorter chainstays (440mm)
  • steeper seat tube angle (75)
  • slightly longer reach (check row "B")
The sad part here though would be the recommended axle to crown length of 564mm vs the P9's 571mm.  A 160mm travel Lyrik has a 572mm axle to crown.

gohloum

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 04:19:34 PM »
The other down side I see on this is the single pivot point swing arm.  The chain stays are not linked through an a-arm or some type of dual articulation pivot, so I imagine bobbing under load is gonna suck and be exponentially worse if you squash it while on the gas.  Specialized is trying to pass a similar setup off in a 140mm travel frame with a single pivot.  I've ridden it and it sucks.  The Trek Fuel (2018 and newer) is a 130mm single pivot... Also suffers although not as greatly.  Also feels squishy and unnatural, especially after you've ridden a bike with linkage system like Yeti, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Niner, Transition, etc...  Once you ever ride a managed arc rear travel system, especially if you have to climb, it becomes pretty obvious the benefits over single pivot point.

Like I said in the 2019 post.  I hope these manufacturers start looking into mid and long travel linkage systems that manage the arc travel of the rear axle. 

sclyde2

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 10:46:15 PM »
Single pivot?  Doesn't that frame have two pivot points between the mainframe and rear axle?

I get that you much prefer a vpp/dw-link kind of suspension setups.  Other people like the more active designs, like the variations on fsr/Horst link designs.

emu26

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 12:11:07 AM »
I believe it does, it has a bearing at the chain stay / seat stay point.  It's my understanding a true single pivot has a solid rear triangle.

Verbl Kint

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 02:08:33 AM »
It's your run of the mill 4-bar design, definitely not single pivot.