Author Topic: My IP-106 Build.... ( NOW WITH FINSIHED PICS ) Bike will be FOR SALE!  (Read 5156 times)

andyfloyd

Just registered over here, been on MTBR for a while and read the whole Chiner 29er thread over there as well as the dual suspension  Chiner thread. That is why I went with XMI and through Peter to get a IP-106. I need to post some pictures and I will, still right now im trying to source the brakes and a front fork for the bike then itll be ready to get built. Doesnt look like its going to be too difficult but I will show the process so others can learn a little bit. Here is what the build will look like....

18" XMI IP-106 UD carbon
XMI carbon seatpost, bars, stem
Shimano ZEE 1x10 group
Easton EA70 XL wheelset
Conti Race King 2.2's
Rock Shox REBA 100mm Dual Air Tapered 15mm axle
Avid BB7 f/r ( less expensive, I dont need hydro )

I dont really see anyone using the ZEE stuff that much. Shimano claims its their Freeride group but its affordable and its fairly lightweight too so itll work perfectly on this XC oriented build. I think the IP-106 is basically a IP-057 but most of the cables are not internally routed...since some people are finally seeing issues with their internal cables I thought for maintenance sake I would go with mostly external cabling. Ill have pics up soon just excited to start building this. Thinking it should be in the 21-22lb range. Will find out soon.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 11:27:00 AM by andyfloyd »

Izzy

Re: My IP-106 Build....
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 06:52:31 AM »
Welcome to Chinertown! Looks like it will be a sweet build. And don't stress the actual building part, it is fairly easy so long as you have the right tools for the job.

Looking forward to seeing the build. Never heard of the IP-106 though. I thought there was originally just the 056, and then the 057 that made the 142x12mm rear axle the standard but didn't know anything about a 106 with external cable mounts.

What kind of issues are people having with the internal cabling on the 057?

Also, as far as the ZEE is concerned, I've read it's one of Shimano's best mechs to date so nice choice and at a price you can't really beat too.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 08:07:59 AM »
The discussion over on MTBR concerning problems with internal cable routing is most likely the fault of the user and not the frame.  As was discussed, using good quality stainless cables, applying cable lube upon installation, properly maintaining the bike, and storing it inside are all things that will prevent many problems one or two people are complaining about.

Certainly running the hydraulic brake lines internally is nice since there is no chance of having any cable pull issues there.  For my IP-036 I even ran the rear derailleur cable with a full housing through the frame so again no chance for any shifting issues there.

On my IP-056 I also have all internal routing and the shifting has been flawless for over 16 months of riding.  My point being is if there is one or two people, out of hundreds of users on MTBR, complaining about a problem you need not take it as fact when they blame the Chiner frame as the source of their problems.

As for the IP-106, that's a really nice looking frame.  It has end caps for the internal routing so it looks even cleaner at the cable entry points.  However I prefer not to have all those cable mounts riveted all over the underside of the frame.  Like me, you are doing a 1x setup which means several of those cable mounts will not be used. 

It would be nice if XMIplay offered a 1x specific version of the frame w/o the cable routing for a front derailleur.  For me that would be perfect.  I have noticed that not even the big name brands charging $10k for their top of the line XX1 equipped bikes are not 1x specific.  Given the price, I would expect not to have unused parts on my high end bike.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Andy

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 05:15:44 PM »
Carbon Dude any thoughts on maybe removing the cable guides under the down tube? 

I'm still on vacation but will be home and finally get to build up my ip 036 on Tuesday.  Yeehaa!!!
Andy. :)

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 05:22:40 PM »
Assuming they are riveted to the frame, you would need to drill out the rivets to remove the cable mounts.  Then you are left with holes in the frame, so you would need to figure out what to do with the holes.  Install new pop rivets?  Find some rubber plugs?  Don't worry about the holes?
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Andy

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 06:20:10 PM »
Hmmmmm...all good questions.  Something I'll have to assess once I get to see my frame in the flesh come Tuesday. 

Assuming they are riveted to the frame, you would need to drill out the rivets to remove the cable mounts.  Then you are left with holes in the frame, so you would need to figure out what to do with the holes.  Install new pop rivets?  Find some rubber plugs?  Don't worry about the holes?

andyfloyd

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 11:25:17 AM »

There are finished pics....I still am waiting on the seat but its done now. If anyone wants to buy it PM me...Im going to build a FS 27.5" instead...this bike needs a good home fellas!!

andyfloyd

Re: My IP-106 Build.... ( NOW WITH FINSIHED PICS ) Bike will be FOR SALE!
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 11:29:49 AM »

The ZEE Groupset...a great looking one IMO nobody uses the ZEE

carbonazza

Re: My IP-106 Build.... ( NOW WITH FINSIHED PICS ) Bike will be FOR SALE!
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 01:26:58 PM »
The ZEE groupset looks great.
Don't you need a chain guide, to avoid dropping the chain?

The XX1 has a special big small teeth sequence, that sticks to the chain(they say).
It is notable, when you try to remove the chain from the front ring.
The chain seems to stick to it. And the ZEE seem to have traditional flat rings.