Author Topic: I'm thinking this will be the inspiration for my next Chiner..  (Read 7418 times)

Sitar_Ned

Haven't really been all too interested in fat bikes to be honest. But was clicking through some random mtb sites this morning and came across this pic..

I wonder if the carbon fat tire forks will be available when the frame is. I also wonder if these Chinese carbon vendors will be trying to charge more for the fat bike frames than the 29er and 27.5 frames. Doesn't seem the price would or should be any different, but we'll see.

Either way.. This bike does it for me and I'll probably build a chiner version. Just looks too cool not to own it. This exact build - hopefully with SRAM xx1 1x11 would be ridiculously sweet.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 12:07:14 AM by Sitar_Ned »

Carbon_Dude

Re: I'm thinking this will be the inspiration for my next Chiner..
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 06:46:57 AM »
I rode an Origin 8 Fat Bike the other day.  Really liked it because it was something different.  Although I don't know how well a Fat Bike will climb hills that I ride.  Seems like a fun bike but would tire you out quickly compared to a nice light carbon hardtail 29er.

2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 08:47:51 AM »
^^ To me it seems that with a fat bike build having high end (light ) components would be crucial.

The bike you posted is steel with low end wheels it looks like.. Imagine it an all carbon (frame, rims, post, bars, stem, seat) decked out in xx1... Would be an entirely different beast I'd assume. I also think the tire manufacturers are going to be coming out with some fat tires that can affect the ride drastically with their weight and performance. Cross country/weight weenie fat bike.. it's coming. 

That's why I've been somewhat put off by fat bikes thus far.. They just look and seem sluggish. But seeing that all carbon one above, made me reconsider the possibilities. Either way, it's definitely something I'd ride first before buying as I realize that what you said could turn out to be completely accurate and therefore make it more of a "novelty" bike.. Which I have no interest in.

Gotta get myself a test ride in on one decked out in all carbon and top end components.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 08:50:49 AM by Sitar_Ned »

jonxmack

Handmade cycle accessories and luggage - http://www.thebreakaway.cc/

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 03:51:37 PM »
Interesting article.  Thought they could have made it lighter if they built it up SS or with some even lighter components.  Which means there is some room for someone else to build up a lighter Fatbike and claim the title.

Lamere just uses the same or very similar Chinese carbon wheels and frames that any of us could buy at a reasonable price.  The article states they bike they reviewed was $9,000.  I'm sure someone here could build a very similar Fatbike for about half that price.  My FS Chiner cost less than that and it has a Fox fork and shock that add up to $1,000 right there.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 10:33:26 PM »
Yeah, that's pretty awesome.. A fat bike under 20 pounds. One thing I noticed was that it said fat bikes have about 6 lbs worth of tires.. seems like a ton of weight to be spinning. Def looking forward to trying one out, though.

jonxmack

Handmade cycle accessories and luggage - http://www.thebreakaway.cc/

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 09:50:43 AM »
Okay.. I guess I had just assumed that they were already tubeless compatible by this point - apparently I was wrong. That puts a fat bike back on the radar imo. But I still have yet to ride one.. So we'll see. They just look so cool.

Now the tyre companies will surely come out with more XC oriented fat bike trys to reduce the weight even more.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 09:52:24 AM by Sitar_Ned »