Author Topic: high end drive train comparisons  (Read 2797 times)

brmeyer135

high end drive train comparisons
« on: July 06, 2014, 07:17:43 AM »
Was thinking about the high end drive trains....not the useability or functionality but more costs.
SRAM  XX1 or XO1 are probably the top drivetrain at this time.  Cost is 950.00 XO1 and 1000.00 XX1-wasn't looking really hard
Plus, need to plan for their special XD hub at around 100.00

Going say XTR 1x10(not new as not out)
crank        300
rd             160
shifter        80    150 for both shifters
cassette   180
total          720 - leaves room for XTR brakes or XT brakes with a OneUp/General Lee

I have liked the race face sl crankset....it would add a 100 to the above number.
The takeaway,  it is all about choices...but spending 1000 on your drivetrain will build a high end

brmeyer135

Re: high end drive train comparisons
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 07:26:40 AM »
Going say XX

crankset         325
rd                    200
shifter             140
cassette          340
total               1005

Who wouldn't go XX1 in this case?
Takeaway, again, would be that one should be able to spend 1000 or less easily to build their custom drivetrain.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 07:25:39 PM »
With XX1 you just get more for your money, which is why it is on both of my bikes:

1)  Carbon cranks.
2)  Very crisp shifting, XX1 RD moves in a much more optimum path SRAM calls it a "horizontal parallelogram".
3)  No need for a chain guide, XX1 locks the chain on the chainring, I have never dropped a chain or experience chain suck.
4)  The ability to easily swap the chainring for another size (28T-38T) without the need to remove the cranks.  Better suited for racers but a nice feature none the less.
5)  I haven't checked the weight, but I would expect the XX1 system to weigh less than a Shimano 1x10 setup.
6)  Gripshift or Trigger shift options.  I tried the Gripshift initially but decided I liked the XX1 trigger better.
7)  42T rear cog gives great climbing ability.
8)  10T rear cog has ~10% more top end (which is why you need that XX1 hub).

Both offer a clutched, locking RD which is a must have.

BTW, you can't argue that being able to go to "11" is just one better!
Here is a good Youtube video explaining why: 

Also, if you have XMIplay build up a set of carbon wheels, they can install the XX1 free hub from the get go so you don't have to purchase it as an extra part, saving $80. 

IMO, there is no question that XX1 is the clear choice, however, there are some diehard XT/XTR fans out there.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 07:29:04 PM by Carbon_Dude »
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

brmeyer135

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 07:18:31 AM »
Yeah, XX1 is the standard(so to speak)...when looking at costs though...but more what you are doing and where you ride...you could get a high end drive train and high end brakes(or other upgrade) for the price.
All comes back to how much one wants to spend...the IP-256 paired with XT components....will be a very nice bike, solid and ridable.  XT level is great all around but not light.  That bike though would be....say 5000 to 6000 at XT level by majors?
I guess I am amazed at everybody's bike build and choices...I tend to look from a racing perspective while others for work and different...the chiner world is such a great place to express and such.

JackBNimble

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 10:49:09 PM »
I guess I am amazed at everybody's bike build and choices...I tend to look from a racing perspective while others for work and different...the chiner world is such a great place to express and such.

Yep, that's what's so awesome about the Chiner emergence. All of a sudden everybody has more custom built bikes. Not only is it more rewarding to own a bike you cherry picked the components for and built up yourself, but it's also interesting and fun to follow along on other's builds - rather than just seeing pics of the bikes they just picked up from the lbs. All of this is only the opinion of one man, of course.