Author Topic: How addictive is bike building?!  (Read 367 times)

Ludo

How addictive is bike building?!
« on: April 17, 2024, 08:24:06 AM »
I did my first build earlier this year and thoroughly enjoyed the search for all components, the associated technical learning and then actual bike assembly. I am now constantly looking for excuses for the next one:
Building bike for my kids
Trying to convince friends to build rather than buy,”I’ll build it for you”
Should I built a full suspension for me?

Am I the only addict?

00Garza

Re: How addictive is bike building?!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2024, 11:19:42 AM »
I'm not a fan of the actual building, but pricing out potential builds has become a hobby for sure.

Full sus bikes seem to have the most issues just because they have more moving parts and more "holes" that need to be within tolerance to work well.
Lots of people happy with them though.

Tijoe

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2024, 11:45:26 AM »
Very addictive.  I've built my own bikes for at least the past 40 years.   Shifted to primarily building bicycles using parts purchased from Aliexpress over the past 8+ years.

jonathanf2

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2024, 09:47:29 PM »
It's fun building bikes. I wish I had a reason to keep building them out. As it stands, my current frames constantly change regarding components. Each of my bikes are completely different from the year before!

s3si1u

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2024, 04:22:37 AM »
Very, very addictive. I've been building at least one bike a year for the last 3-4 years. I really enjoy painting them, too.
The entire purchase>paint>build process takes a few months, but for me it's as enjoyable as riding the thing once it's complete.
Instagram: @aerosloth

Serge_K

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2024, 05:14:51 AM »
Will vary based on where you are, but currently, in Europe, second hand prices have collapsed. You can get - just as one example - a TON of Trek Emondas for really attractive prices.
In Europe, afaik, groupsets are still incredibly expensive, but chinese ones are really questionable (i'm sitting with 2 broken er9 out of the 5 i've installed for eg, and out of the 4 sensah mech i installed last year, 1 died after 1k km). In the US, SRAM groupsets are apparently super affordable.
My point being: if you're trying to be rational with the value that your money buys, keep in mind where the second hand market is, because it's now extremely easy to build a chinese bike (with arguably appalling resale value) for more than a branded second hand bike w largely the same specs.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2024, 06:06:26 AM »
Will vary based on where you are, but currently, in Europe, second hand prices have collapsed. You can get - just as one example - a TON of Trek Emondas for really attractive prices.
In Europe, afaik, groupsets are still incredibly expensive, but chinese ones are really questionable (i'm sitting with 2 broken er9 out of the 5 i've installed for eg, and out of the 4 sensah mech i installed last year, 1 died after 1k km). In the US, SRAM groupsets are apparently super affordable.
My point being: if you're trying to be rational with the value that your money buys, keep in mind where the second hand market is, because it's now extremely easy to build a chinese bike (with arguably appalling resale value) for more than a branded second hand bike w largely the same specs.

You are right. Last year I built my TFSA SL6 equivalent for about 2.000eur. Today I can buy a real SL6 with about the same components for about the same price...

Ludo

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2024, 09:38:20 AM »
I completely agree, all the 40-50% discount on new bike put a lot of downward pressure on used market. The rational choice means much more toward used than new chiner if you don’t factor in the desire to be different and the DIY aspect. I somewhat expect the Ali prices to drop in the next few months to account for that or their demand will dry up.

jonathanf2

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2024, 09:30:26 PM »
The US is big. There are no good deals where I live even though I live in a major US city. It's cheaper and faster (I live near the US AliEx distribution hub) for me to build Chinese carbon bikes as opposed to bargain shop on various online marketplaces. Plus I tend to stick with Shimano mechanical components. Besides one of my bikes getting an LTwoo ER9 conversion, the rest of my bike builds are running on a mix of Shimano groupsets and AliEx frame/wheel/crankset/disc rotor parts. I feel like that's where you get the best of both worlds in terms of reliability and bang-for-buck.