Author Topic: What do you think about these wheels without external spoke holes ?  (Read 9131 times)

PeterXu

What do you guys think about our newest design rims 30mm depth 30mm width ? They are finished as wheelset, we can make these rims in XC and AM version, XC rims weigh around 380g/piece and you can see XC wheels without external spoke holes weigh around 1400g/pair

The rims without external spoke holes are better for tubeless, but only the rims depth higher than 27mm can be drilled like this, or it is hard to assemble the wheels.

We are planning to make 28mm depth 29er rims similar to Nox offset rims as well. we haven't listed these rims and wheels on our website yet

Email: petercycles@foxmail.com
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 06:25:01 AM by PeterXu »

byrt

wow interesting!!! looks very nice.
But how do you replace a spoke??

LHSN

Yes, but do you change spoke? If you make "Mavic 819" like nipples I believe that would add too much weight on carbon rims.

I waited for "asia carbon" offset spoke hole rims. :)

Carbon_Dude

I've seen how wheels are built that do not have spoke holes.  Basically, the wheel builder feeds a cable in where the nipple will go, and out the valve stem hole.  The nipple is then fed to the hole down the cable to the hole.  This makes building the wheel very time consuming but has the advantage of not needing rim tape.

I'm not sold on the idea of doing it this way, mostly because if you break a spoke, it's not as easy to replace.  I also don't believe there is much of a weight savings benefit since you normally would remove rim material and add tape, seems like it would be a wash.

So other than the extra labor involved in building the wheel, which it seems CarbonSpeed is willing to do for their customers, the only disadvantage would be increased difficulty if a repair is needed.  Otherwise the only benefit is not needing rim tape and possibly holding air pressure better.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

I guess I don't understand how the spoke is fitted to the rim/hub. I like the idea and the weight though.

carbonazza

Getting the nipples out is not that easy.
Here is an honnest video of Yoeleo explaining how to do it:

So in case we need to fix a broken spoke, or lace again the wheel.
I can't imagine how to get them in. May be orient them with a magnet.

But there is definitely a technique to do it, that could be explained.

The idea of not having to tape the rim for tubeless is great.
I'm loosing some small air from there, but too lazy to re-tape it.
I think my next wheels will be like these.

MTB2223

I can't imagine how to get them in. May be orient them with a magnet.
I think it's really easy to get them in. Small (special) iron screw in the alu nipple. And then use a magnet. When it's in position, remove the small iron screw, put in the spoke. And then the next one.

Carbon_Dude

Peter, if you posted a video of the process I think people would be interested in seeing it.  Also, if one of the steel screws were included with the wheel so repairs could be made later, would be something buyers would appreciate.

If I were to order a new set of hookless carbon wheels, it might be worthwhile to consider these if they are not too difficult to replace a broken spoke.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

cmh

What do you guys think about our newest design rims 30mm depth 30mm width ? They are finished as wheelset, we can make these rims in XC and AM version, XC rims weigh around 380g/piece and you can see XC wheels without external spoke holes weigh around 1400g/pair

As a wheel builder, I'm kinda "meh" - rim tape isn't such a big deal. As a weight weenie, I like the concept. If the wheels are strong and don't need to be rebuilt often, then the initial pain of the starting build shouldn't be that bad.

Still, CD makes an interesting point about material removed offsetting rim tape...

RS VR6

I'm already there...my Crank Brothers wheels have no spoke holes. ;D ;D

Sitar_Ned

Re: What do you think about these wheels without external spoke holes ?
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2015, 11:00:28 AM »
Hey guys, Peter asked me to upload those video clips demonstrating how the wheel is built without the spoke holes:

cmh

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2015, 03:23:01 PM »
Hey guys, Peter asked me to upload those video clips demonstrating how the wheel is built without the spoke holes:

Looks pretty quick and easy. Not bad. My biggest problem with the design is I recently picked up - and fell in love with - the multifinger nipple loading tool from BHS:

http://www.bikehubstore.com/product-p/mfg.htm

I couldn't use that with these!

Also started using nipples with 5.5mm hex heads which are so much easier/faster to work with - and those rims wouldn't let me do that either!

Like I said, only a problem for the initial build, and not a problem for the person who actually uses the wheels! :D

Joelk

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2015, 11:19:18 PM »
Also started using nipples with 5.5mm hex heads which are so much easier/faster to work with

I completely agree.  I have used Sapim hex head nipples in the last 7 or 8 wheelsets I have built and they build up quick, strong and easy.  They also have some of the best anodizing I have seen.