Author Topic: Welcome to Chinertown - Introduce Yourself!  (Read 210889 times)

Andza

Re: Welcome to Chinertown - Introduce Yourself!
« Reply #285 on: September 26, 2019, 08:54:25 AM »
Hi All, I 'm from Latvia. Currently i'm looking for info to build XC full suspension bike. I'm looking at Carbonda FM 936 frame. Probably this will be my next build. Had a few hardtails built on FM036, and KTM phinx 27.5 for wife. 
Thanks for great info source here.

slojoe

« Reply #286 on: January 07, 2020, 11:33:58 AM »
Hi all, Slojoe here.
Been lurking for a few weeks and thought I would say hello to the forum. I've been intrigued with the thought of building up an import fs frame using the components off my other fs import bike (hal 6). I've been eyeing the tantan fm08 as a viable candidate and plan to pull the trigger soon. The main draw to the frame is the more modern geometry with a secondary benefit of shedding some grams. Going to a 29+ from 27.5 should help as well. I am seriously considering a set of wheels from btlos. They look to have by far the best bang for the buck. Once the frame is in hand I hope to document the build in a new thread. If there is any info you would like to have about the frame or wheels just let me know.

carbonazza

« Reply #287 on: January 07, 2020, 02:00:56 PM »
...I am seriously considering a set of wheels from btlos. They look to have by far the best bang for the buck...

Interesting, I didn't know them. Which wheels in particular do you plan to get ?

Did you compare them with lightbicycle.com ?
Good luck for your build !

slojoe

« Reply #288 on: January 07, 2020, 09:15:46 PM »
Thanks, it's going to be my first build.

The wheels I'm looking at are the WM i30. I was toying with options and going all out with 240's and sapim cxrays would run about a grand. A similar wheel at light bicycle would run at least 1500. Light bicycle wheels seem solid but the btlos rims have pretty good reviews, hoping not to have any issues.

sissypants

« Reply #289 on: January 08, 2020, 09:17:04 AM »
Hey Slojoe,

You'll be best off buying a wheelset from TanTan with your FM08.  Have them price something up for you.  They are cheaper than BTLOS because they have a much larger sales volume and they also make outstanding quality rims.  You also can save about $25 on shipping when you order your frame and wheelset in one box, compared to if you shipped wheels from BTLOS and the frame from TanTan. Not to mention, less hassle :)

TanTan wheel prices:
MTB rims - about $140/pc.
DT Swiss 350 hubs (for reference) - $250/pair
Pillar 1420 aero bladed spokes w/ nipples - $2/set
Build fee: $25
Shipping fee: $70 independently, $130 with frame, $85 FS frame alone

They may quote you more than that, but just keep those numbers in mind and let me know what they quote you. I can probably save you another $50 on your combined order.

-sp

carbonazza

« Reply #290 on: January 08, 2020, 10:22:14 AM »
The wheels I'm looking at are the WM i30. I was toying with options and going all out with 240's and sapim cxrays would run about a grand. A similar wheel at light bicycle would run at least 1500
Strange, a wheelset with DT-240 and CX-Ray at Light bicycle are generally about 900€ which is exactly $1,000 today !  ;)
The rims are about $140-150 everywhere, the price then depends on the hubs and spokes/nipples.

...Pillar 1420 aero bladed spokes w/ nipples - $2/set...
My first wheelset was with Pillar 1420 spokes/nipples.
After 3-4 years the nipples started to fall in pieces, being somehow welded to the spoke.
Impossible to true the wheel without cutting the spoke.
And some spokes did break at the J bend.
Of all the wheels I imported, nobody experienced similar issues with SAPIM kits.

slojoe

« Reply #291 on: January 08, 2020, 11:59:47 AM »
Maybe we get the shaft in N America, lol. Here's what I get with a quick build up of their 29er wheels:

carbonazza

« Reply #292 on: January 08, 2020, 05:34:17 PM »
Maybe we get the shaft in N America, lol. Here's what I get with a quick build up of their 29er wheels:
They have two kind of rims, the PRO about $280 and the others at about $150, the difference comes probably from that.
Except a longer warranty period, I do not understand the value of the PRO version of their rims, and take in general non-PRO ones.

yosso22

« Reply #293 on: January 23, 2020, 01:47:23 PM »
Got a wild hair to build a Chiner after putting a couple of thousand miles on a Deng Fu road bike frame this last year.

My current MTB is an old-school 26 inch Kona Coiler and all the cool kids are now riding 29'ers.

Found a possible frame and will be starting to collect parts and pieces this spring.

Pictures to follow.

tripped38

« Reply #294 on: March 30, 2020, 12:31:49 PM »
Well.  After years of not riding I broke and have gotten back into it.  I bought a used Gary Fisher Superfly hardtail.  It is a medium sized frame with a 100mm travel fork.  Love the bike, but I think I have a crack in the main tube of the frame.  Looking for a frame that I can just swap everything over.  My bike is set up as a 1x9 and would probably just upgrade to a 1x10.  Not looking to switch to boost wheels or anything crazy.  Looking at all the the dimension and its a little bit much.   Any help would be great.  Just looking to stay with an xc style frame.  would consider a full suspenion xc frame set if I could source  the extra needed pieces for the right price.

Thanks,
Michael

carbonazza

« Reply #295 on: March 31, 2020, 07:26:48 AM »
Well.  After years of not riding I broke and have gotten back into it.  I bought a used Gary Fisher Superfly hardtail.  It is a medium sized frame with a 100mm travel fork.  Love the bike, but I think I have a crack in the main tube of the frame.  Looking for a frame that I can just swap everything over.  My bike is set up as a 1x9 and would probably just upgrade to a 1x10.  Not looking to switch to boost wheels or anything crazy.  Looking at all the the dimension and its a little bit much.   Any help would be great.  Just looking to stay with an xc style frame.  would consider a full suspenion xc frame set if I could source  the extra needed pieces for the right price.

Thanks,
Michael

Here are few things I would look at...

To swap you need to look at the bottom brackets available for your crankset.
And if you have a ring bigger than 34T check with the seller for clearance advice.

Then if your fork is compatible with the headtube, which is generally tapered 1.5"/1.25"( adapters exist if you have a straight fork ).
Check if your fork is not cut too short for the headtube height  + stem + needed spacers.

For the rear wheel the frames come generally with interchangeable 135 or 142mm drop outs, but better ask the seller before shipping.

The seatube diameter must be the same, however you can find good seatposts on Aliexpress that doesn't cost a leg, this one is great: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32969142304.html

And you may need a brake caliper adapter for the back depending on the size designed by default for the frame.

Good luck with your build !

Dunder

« Reply #296 on: April 06, 2020, 03:33:32 AM »
Hi!

I am looking to get back into cycling after life took over for 10+ years. I did mtb active back in my youth and hopefully some of the feel is still intact.. Now I am looking for fun and excercise, nothing serious but I would like a bike that I can push a bit going downhill.

I was first looking at trail bikes like Scott Spark, Tallboy, etc and other similar 120-130mm travel bikes. But then I came across this forum and want to rather build a bike - sourcing parts and planning a build is also a lot of fun.

So far I have looked at the LCFS958 frame. Planned to have it 130/130 travel.
https://www.lightcarbon.com/all-new-lightcarbon-trail-mtb-frame-lcfs958_p118.html . I have sent emails to lightcarbon, but have not received any replies.
Anyway is this a frame you guys would recommend? Or do you have experience with other frames around 120-130mm travel that would be good?

When I go to DIYCarbon I see they have some frames that are "clones", that makes it "easier" to know how they are compared to the ones I can see and have demoed in stores, but have read they just source their frames from other providers such as Tantan or lightcarbon? Have anyone made or seen a overview of chinese frames and comparison of geo to brand bikes?

carbonazza

« Reply #297 on: April 07, 2020, 10:49:12 AM »
...But then I came across this forum and want to rather build a bike - sourcing parts and planning a build is also a lot of fun....
The same happened to me years ago, you won't regret it !

...Have anyone made or seen a overview of chinese frames and comparison of geo to brand bikes?...
You need to do some homework for this, to know exactly what is available compared to what you want.
Here is an interesting site: https://geometrygeeks.bike/

RobertRinAustin

« Reply #298 on: April 17, 2020, 10:57:12 PM »
Hi - Robert here from Austin. Funny thing is I'm not sure how I ended up here.  Was researching a new MTB and some how ended up here.  Haven't bought the new bike yet, but got in on the 831 group buy. Haven't built a bike since I was a kid and it was a BMX bike so this will be something new for me.

northup

« Reply #299 on: May 20, 2020, 06:58:52 PM »
Paul here from Massachusetts. I knew there had to be a way to skirt the markup of the big name bikes, and here is where I landed.

I just bought a Seraph FM10, so we'll see how that goes, and hopefully the group buy from Haideli goes through, I'd love to see that hightower clone. need some covid projects to work on.