Author Topic: Welcome to Chinertown - Introduce Yourself!  (Read 210995 times)

Condorman

Re: Welcome to Chinertown - Introduce Yourself!
« Reply #375 on: April 19, 2023, 12:26:09 PM »
Hey:

I've been following this website for a few years.  Found it originally when I was looking for recommendations on new drivetrain parts for my trail bike.  I appreciated the info I found then, so I came back to the website a few months ago as I was looking to build up a new XC/marathon bike.  Ultimately, I purchased a Carbonda FM936 frame and will start building the bike up this week.  I appreciate the guidance I gleaned from everyone's collective experience.

ciclistik

« Reply #376 on: April 20, 2023, 06:46:21 AM »
Hello everyone,
i want to build a full suspension bike, i plan to take the lcfs918.
I currently have a road bike with a frame and Chinese wheels, rim brake, it weighs 6.8kg and works very well.
Thanks for the help and I'll try to contribute what I can.

JimLee

« Reply #377 on: May 18, 2023, 12:41:51 AM »
Hello everyone,
This is Jim Lee from Lightcarbon, the Carbon bicycle components OEM factory (rims, wheels, frames, etc.) from china.
Looking forward to discussing carbon fiber frame set/ wheel set/ components with you.

Hambo

« Reply #378 on: May 26, 2023, 10:54:59 AM »
Hello everybody,

I have been looking around the Chinertown forums for quite some time. A lot of usefull information and experience around here and a lot of inspiring builds.

I'm a 33 year old from the rural flats in the northern of the Netherlands. Have been cycling for quite some years now on the roads and on the mountainbike.

I was looking for a new mountainbike during the start of the Corona pandemic in the Netherlands. Found a bike that dit meet my wishes and fitted my budget. But then a lot of people started biking so bikes went out of stock, prices went up while parts of lesser quality got installed. Then the idea of building my own bike was born and I got onto this forum..

In the meantime I've build myself a hardtail mountainbike and a road bike. I'll introduce both in the dedicated treads and share my experiences.

At the moment thinking of building a gravelbike as well, but would like to keep my wife happy as well!

Asaint

« Reply #379 on: June 01, 2023, 10:57:24 PM »
Hi everyone. Thanks so much for this forum.

I have always wanted to build a new 29er mtb bike to ride and improve on etc. I have some basic bike mechanic skills. I have ordered all the bits from China and am in the process of putting the bike together. I have already come across a challenge and am needing help from some like minded people, and then show off my muddy new creation!!! Am looking forward to the challenge.

Cheers, Grant

borysgo2

« Reply #380 on: July 31, 2023, 02:17:32 AM »
Hi ALL

Lets build carbon bikes :D

Regards Peter

TimBE

« Reply #381 on: August 09, 2023, 07:14:58 AM »
Hi all, I am Tim from Belgium.
Been building my bikes for years now, with both big brand and Chinese components.
Now I am in the market for an afforable XC hardtail frame so registered here to do some research.
Already found some interesting brand names over here which I didn't know.

Cheers
Tim

leonardovit

« Reply #382 on: August 11, 2023, 07:06:34 AM »
Hello everyone, I'm Leonardo

I like to rode road and xc bikes. I have been following Chinertown not so long ago, and mostly interested on xc chinese framesets.

At the moment I am building a chinese hardtail that I have almost every part except the frameset

I'm from Brazil

Ludo

« Reply #383 on: August 13, 2023, 10:05:27 AM »
Hi there, Ludo checking in. After some 25y away from mtb and outside of biking altogether expect for the stroll around one, I am seriously considering dipping back in with a chiner project of my own. I live in Houston so I’ll be going for a hardtail, trying to keep both weight and budget down. Right now leaning toward the SPcycle M06 frame (if/when L becomes available). I’m starting to have a fair idea of what I want to put around that frame with RYET 3D seat, carbon post, one piece carbon stem/bar, probably used Rockshox fork with 100mm travel, some Chinese origin 1x11/12 group set, Chinese brakes, carbon wheels (nova technology hub?)… the sourcing and assembly are just as appealing to me as the end product at this point.
Already found a bunch of info there, thanks to all who pave the way by testing and sharing feedback!

MArbogast

« Reply #384 on: September 03, 2023, 12:53:47 PM »
Hi everyone!

I'm Fernando from Spain and I just join the forum so let me introduce myself. Before, I was a triathlete, and now I'm a duathlete. I have no connection with MTB. However, I'm fortunate to have two children who love cycling, but due to their young age, I can't take them with me on the road yet. That's the main reason to go into MTB

I don't intend to do MTB without them and considering the current prices of Western brands, I'm going to build my own bike with Chinese components.

I'll read everything I can and then I'll start asking a lot of questions, so I apologize in advance :).

indyphil

« Reply #385 on: November 01, 2023, 12:00:22 PM »
Hello!
I joined after lurking for a few days reading about all the different companies making open mold frames.

Im interested in something fairly specific.  Currently have a Trek Top Fuel 7 (aluminum) and its fairly heavy (by my standards).  I started riding in my youth around 30 years ago, and by the late 90s was really into XC racing on a hardtail that weighed around 21 lbs.  I pretty much stopped riding for 20 years and picked up again in 2022 and wasnt in very good shape.  I got the Trek and got back to work training and getting faster.  It of course feels pretty heavy but ive put carbon rims on it and dropped some weight off it in a few places.  As I train for races I want to reward myself for the work im doing and so im looking for a frame with similar geometry - 120mm travel but with the right shock size to get a remote lockout on it (the Trek uses 185x50 shock which isnt available from fox or RS with a lockout).  Ive compared all the major brands, I do like transition spur and fezzari signal peak, with the fezzari frame being the cheaper option.  Then I started looking at open mold frames.

Heres what im looking for:
120mm travel (might consider 110-115) because outside of racing i do ride some good trails
shock size that allows for remote lockout (cable routing for remote lockout a plus)
BSA bottom bracket (preferred over press fit - Ive never had a pressfit but it sounds like a nightmare on cheap frames with creaking etc.)
66-67 deg head angle - again outside of racing I do some aggressive trail riding

Bonus points for being made of better materials (blend of T800 and T1000 better than T700?)
Bonus points for having ISCG-05 mounts (although not a dealbreaker because I dont currently use them)
160mm disc size is fine

Here is a list of some that seem to meet my needs:
Miracle FS822 - seems new, Head angle a little steep but seems to be due to short fork length - my current favorite no idea of price or color options yet
Lexon Flyer (ebay) seems like the same as the miracle (they use a more realistic fork length and get 66.4 head angle) but ebay only has 2 color schemes and I dont want the decals.
SP cycle SPM861 - not sure about the cable routing in the headset or if it has routing for the remote lockout (doesnt look like it)
Workswell WCB-M-364 - not much info on it - looks like you can spec a BSA bb but its also a vertical shock 185x55
BXT-MTB-147 (ebay) - looks nice except 69 deg head angle - I guess I could use an offset headset and slacken it a little but thats more work.
Carbonda FM1001 - more travel than I need unless I use 185x50 which put me back to no remote lockout, I suppose its possible to go longer travel with a lockout (185x55)

Am I missing any companies?  Winowsports and DIYcarbonbikes are pressfit BB.  Airwolf YFM059 doesnt have enough travel for my taste. 

acedeuce802

« Reply #386 on: November 01, 2023, 12:04:35 PM »
Carbonda FM909 will be available with 120mm rear linkage soon.  Should meet all your criteria except ISCG tabs, and will be lighter than the FM1001.  66deg HTA with 120mm fork, steep STA but not too crazy, I think it's 76deg with 120mm fork.

kevinkeenan

« Reply #387 on: November 06, 2023, 08:21:27 PM »
Hi. I’ve been lurking for a bit. Starting to do a little posting now.

Ar26

« Reply #388 on: November 07, 2023, 12:47:47 AM »
Hello, I come from a planet quite far from your earth. Sometimes I come back to my second home which is located near “the hell of the North”. Expression which designates “Paris-Roubaix”. Well, I'll leave you, I'm going back to my planet. There, changing gears on the bikes is done mentally, what progress.

Boybiskit

« Reply #389 on: November 08, 2023, 04:12:42 PM »
Hello!
I joined after lurking for a few days reading about all the different companies making open mold frames.

Im interested in something fairly specific.  Currently have a Trek Top Fuel 7 (aluminum) and its fairly heavy (by my standards).  I started riding in my youth around 30 years ago, and by the late 90s was really into XC racing on a hardtail that weighed around 21 lbs.  I pretty much stopped riding for 20 years and picked up again in 2022 and wasnt in very good shape.  I got the Trek and got back to work training and getting faster.  It of course feels pretty heavy but ive put carbon rims on it and dropped some weight off it in a few places.  As I train for races I want to reward myself for the work im doing and so im looking for a frame with similar geometry - 120mm travel but with the right shock size to get a remote lockout on it (the Trek uses 185x50 shock which isnt available from fox or RS with a lockout).  Ive compared all the major brands, I do like transition spur and fezzari signal peak, with the fezzari frame being the cheaper option.  Then I started looking at open mold frames.

Heres what im looking for:
120mm travel (might consider 110-115) because outside of racing i do ride some good trails
shock size that allows for remote lockout (cable routing for remote lockout a plus)
BSA bottom bracket (preferred over press fit - Ive never had a pressfit but it sounds like a nightmare on cheap frames with creaking etc.)
66-67 deg head angle - again outside of racing I do some aggressive trail riding

Bonus points for being made of better materials (blend of T800 and T1000 better than T700?)
Bonus points for having ISCG-05 mounts (although not a dealbreaker because I dont currently use them)
160mm disc size is fine

Here is a list of some that seem to meet my needs:
Miracle FS822 - seems new, Head angle a little steep but seems to be due to short fork length - my current favorite no idea of price or color options yet
Lexon Flyer (ebay) seems like the same as the miracle (they use a more realistic fork length and get 66.4 head angle) but ebay only has 2 color schemes and I dont want the decals.
SP cycle SPM861 - not sure about the cable routing in the headset or if it has routing for the remote lockout (doesnt look like it)
Workswell WCB-M-364 - not much info on it - looks like you can spec a BSA bb but its also a vertical shock 185x55
BXT-MTB-147 (ebay) - looks nice except 69 deg head angle - I guess I could use an offset headset and slacken it a little but thats more work.
Carbonda FM1001 - more travel than I need unless I use 185x50 which put me back to no remote lockout, I suppose its possible to go longer travel with a lockout (185x55)

Am I missing any companies?  Winowsports and DIYcarbonbikes are pressfit BB.  Airwolf YFM059 doesnt have enough travel for my taste.

Congratulations on getting back into riding. It's the best way to keep physically and mentally fit!

You are looking for exactly the same things as me. I went for a Miracle FS822 and am building it at the moment. There's a thread on the 29er page. It ticks all of your boxes except shock stroke (which you may be able to change, depening on your shock. Fox DPS easy. Rockshox not so much). The short fork on the fs822 geo chart is an error - I think it says 505 axle-to-crown but should say 530. Keep an eye on my thread and learn from whatever I bump into!