Author Topic: Welcome to Chinertown - Introduce Yourself!  (Read 210595 times)

Roadie2mtb

Re: Welcome to Chinertown - Introduce Yourself!
« Reply #150 on: May 22, 2016, 05:31:50 PM »
What's the best place on here to post my build questions for 057 build?

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #151 on: May 22, 2016, 06:06:55 PM »
What's the best place on here to post my build questions for 057 build?

I'd say just start your own build thread, if you haven't already. You'll likely have multiple questions along the way, and it's much easier to revisit a topic when it's your own thread.

Roadie2mtb

« Reply #152 on: May 22, 2016, 07:18:09 PM »
Ok thanks, maybe I'll do that.

Mike_Queyar

« Reply #153 on: May 29, 2016, 10:55:20 PM »
Hi everyone.
Im Mike and after reading alot and searching I just got a Yoeleo M91 29er frame about 39minute ago.
I have a giant anthem alloy 2012 and wanted to upgrade but just didnt want to spend alot of money (some people here spend 5K to 10K) for good bike so I just decided to get a Yoeleo frame.
My bike is on 29pounds, I hope the new bike can be under 25 pounds.

My first purchase of china carbon was a 38mm carbon wheels for my road bike in jan 2014 and I still use them, so I hope the Yoeleo frame will be great too.

So I'm gonna keep reading and keep waiting for my frame to arrive to El Salvador.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 10:58:48 AM by Mike_Queyar »

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #154 on: May 30, 2016, 08:53:54 AM »
Welcome Mike.  Please post pictures of your new frame and of your new bike when you get it assembled.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

camposilva2380

« Reply #155 on: June 07, 2016, 06:02:00 PM »
Hello ppl, Im Campos from Brazil, now i bought my first china frame, I have Astro alloy frame and now im changing for carbon frame. But I use china carbon parts, like: stems, handlebars and others. Thanks for this space to discuss about it!!

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #156 on: June 07, 2016, 06:27:27 PM »
Hello ppl, Im Campos from Brazil, now i bought my first china frame, I have Astro alloy frame and now im changing for carbon frame. But I use china carbon parts, like: stems, handlebars and others. Thanks for this space to discuss about it!!

Sure thing. Welcome campo! Look forward to seeing your build.

tripleDot

« Reply #157 on: June 09, 2016, 01:14:30 AM »
Hello peps.  I'm Ben from the Philippines.  I still don't have my Chiner bike but working towards it.  Pretty much still on research mode and hope to get lots of tips and insights from you guys.

Thanks.
July 2020 - Custom Waltly Ti 29er
Nov 2018 - Custom Waltly Ti Gravel
Apr 2018 - CS-496 29x3.0 - stripped
Feb 2018 - CS-RB01 (SS Road)
Sep 2016 - CS-RB01 (road sold)
Jun 2016 - Chinese CF XC - stripped
Mar 2016 - Haro Projekt (sold)
Feb 2008 - Jamis Durango 29 (sold)
Mar 2001 - Scott Scale (sold)

voodoo320

« Reply #158 on: June 10, 2016, 08:06:05 PM »
I am Wilson from the Philippines but I am currently working here in Zhejiang, China.... I always been reading Chinertown everyday.... It is kinda a daily newspaper for me....  :) Everything here is very informative and planning to own my first ChinerBike. ;D

FatbikeRacer

« Reply #159 on: June 13, 2016, 11:38:31 PM »
SN - Thanks for starting this!

I am a professional (head) bike mechanic at Granby Ranch Bike Park in Granby, Colorado. I have been hearing so much from places about certain companies and their supposed superior quality, however, with my experience, the Chinese Carbon is as good, if not better than local. I have a carbon Hylix fork on my road bike which I love and just received a set of Carbon fatbike rims which I am excited to build up and beat the crap out of. I don't understand why people say "Strong, Light, Inexpensive.... Pick 2", I have found all three in Xiamen.

I am currently working towards building up a bike for this years Race on Route 66. Looking forward to hearing everybody's input and ordering more toys.
Trans Am Bike Race - 2015
West Elk Bicycle Classic - 2014, 2015
Double Triple Bypass - 2015
Mt. Evans Hill Climb - 2015
Cow Creek Classic - 2015
Hotter n Hell - 2014
Tour De Fuzz - 2014
Enchanted Circle Century - 2014
Bike MS Pedal to the Point - 2014

xBlitzkriegx

« Reply #160 on: June 25, 2016, 12:41:44 AM »
Hello. Warning, lots of reading ahead. Get coffee or a snickers.

For the ADHD types, LD;DR: I'm old. Bought a bike a few years ago, didn't fit me well and I broke stuff on it because its a green trail bike that I was attempting double red diamond obstacles with while being out of shape for that kind of riding. Now, on to the rest of it...

I have recently came back to bike riding after a 17 year break. I bought a 2013 Trek Marlin in mid 2012 when I was stationed in Korea. I think I paid $600 out the door at the time. Used it mainly to commute on base and ride up things mainly because I could. I knew the fork sucked, I didn't need to do research for that. I took a break for about a year, because reasons.

When I started riding semi-regularly, I began to break things. First thing to go was the rear wheel. It's supposedly a double wall wheel. In reality, it's probably 2 sheets of paper. That, and I hit a small root at an odd angle which let the tire/rim kind of slide on it versus ride over it. Not quite a taco but close. That led me to go to a LBS for the first time.

They were not a Trek dealer but they were helpful anyways. The tech tried for 20 minutes for save the wheel but it just wouldn't take a shape other than "V". Because of his determination, I elected to purchase a rear wheel there. I informed the tech that I didn't need anything fancy because I'll just break it and that even at $200, that's a 1/3 of what I paid for the bike. I left it up to them to order what he saw fit. They gave me an AlexRims DP20 mounted on a Shimano M529 hub with unknown to me spokes. Knowing what I know now, it's a heavy wheel but fairly reliable and strong. Great for hambfisted noobs like me.

Next thing to fail were the plastic welgo pedals. Nope, I didn't break them, although I'm surprised I didn't take them and the cranks out at the same time. I wore out the bearings. They're not serviceable, as the loose ball bearings ride directly on the plastic itself. So I decided wisely to replace them. I could've bought whatever online but I decided to stop by the LBS from above and just pick up whatever platforms they had that were under $50. I settled on Giant originals since that's about all they had in stock. $42 later (not a bad price honestly, basically same as online), I paid for them and was about to walk out and the tech there asked if I had the bike with me. Of course I did, so he "made" me go get the back and they installed the pedals for me. He also ran through the gears, checked the torque on the crank arms, and lubed the seat post. It took about three extra minutes I suppose, but that's why people come back to the LBS. It's literally why I did.

So, why am I here on the chiner forums introducing myself by telling you about my beginner bike and how I can break things on it? Well, Apparently the beginner bike isn't cutting it for me so I want to build a more expensive bike and attempt to break it too.  That, and as I've learned about the hobby, I've come to understand a few things about my bike and how it's future underneath me truly does hinder me, beyond the base component level.

It's a 17.5" frame but I'm 6'1", 195lbs. It has a Specialized 110mm stem on it and a 9/4 690mm bontrager bar. To say there was a language barrier when I bought the bike would be an understatement. I attempted to tell them that the 19" bike felt better but I might want a shorter stem on it. They weren't pushy or anything. It was just awkward because we both stood there staring at each other trying to understand what the other guy was trying to convey, lol. Besides, I needed a bike and I was under time constraints when I bought it. What I have learned since is that I needed the 19" size. All I did was turn the 17.5" frame in to a 19" frame by the Korean bike shop putting an inch longer stem on it. I don't remember what the stock bar was, but the bonty on it now is definitely aftermarket and wider than the stocker. When I ride over an hour or so, my ass starts to hurt. I'm dumb and don't wear bike shorts, but my opinion is that if you're not riding really aggressive, your butt cheeks shouldn't ache. Also, the stock saddle seems to garner a universal hatred. Also, I have lower back stiffness on occasion and my hands frequently go numb. The last part doesn't have much to do with the bike as I have carpal tunnel in both hands. Not terribly so, but enough that certain things set it off. Basically, this bike doesn't fit me and I've over-ridden its' capabilities.

I've done a ton of research online about frame geometry and how certain disciplines require a certain frame setup. I've made mental notes and compares that to demo bikes to get an idea of what I want. Basically, I'm looking for a CS-057 19" frame with a 60-80mm stem and 700mm bars and a 1x11 shimano drivetrain (because sram incompatibility for hubs and the resulting increase in price is lame). I'm still not entirely sure how high I want my stem but I can dial that in when I initially build the bike, before I cut the steerer tube. I'm going to start a build thread very soon as I'm waiting on emails from Peter from XMCS for a frame, bitex wheelset, and miscellaneous other parts.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #161 on: June 25, 2016, 05:41:57 AM »
Welcome xBlitzkriegx, reading through your post, I think you are going in the right direction.  A 19" CS-057, with an 80mm stem, should fit you nicely.  If you are ordering a wheel set, I'd still recommend you go with SRAM 1x11.  The XD hub is no more expensive when part of a new wheel set and you will have a 10% increase in gear ratio by having a 10T cog instead of the Shimano 11T on the cassette.  If you are on a budget, the SRAM GX group is relatively inexpensive.  You can get cranks, shifter, rear derailleur, chain, bottom bracket, and 32T chainring for less than $400 on eBay.

Thanks for joining, and I look forward to seeing your build.  Peter can do custom paint work on your frame for you as well if you want, a little extra cost but allows your new bike to stand out a bit.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

xBlitzkriegx

« Reply #162 on: June 25, 2016, 10:09:34 AM »
Thanks!

I have considered SRAM before but it seems to be a price penalty for the hubs and I've constantly read that the Shimano stuff shifts better. Not that SRAM is bad by any means, just that the Shimano stuff is a bit more refined. I'll take a second look at SRAM though. It's a bit pricier by comparison but there are weight savings to be had and it's every bit as reliable.

I considered painting the frame but I see so many UD frames or 50/50 painted UD frames that 3K almost seems the minority. I really wish I could've had everything matching in 12K weave, that would've been ideal as the weave stands out and looks great IMO.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #163 on: June 25, 2016, 10:26:04 AM »
Welcome tripledot, voodoo, and fatbikeracer!

I've done a ton of research online about frame geometry and how certain disciplines require a certain frame setup. I've made mental notes and compares that to demo bikes to get an idea of what I want. Basically, I'm looking for a CS-057 19" frame with a 60-80mm stem and 700mm bars and a 1x11 shimano drivetrain (because sram incompatibility for hubs and the resulting increase in price is lame). I'm still not entirely sure how high I want my stem but I can dial that in when I initially build the bike, before I cut the steerer tube. I'm going to start a build thread very soon as I'm waiting on emails from Peter from XMCS for a frame, bitex wheelset, and miscellaneous other parts.

Now that was an introduction! Haha. But seriously, it was interesting to read your thoughts on your progression with biking as a hobby. Thanks.

The bike you're wanting to build is pretty much my exact bike.. 057 frame with a 75mm stem and 710mm low rise bars, and 1x10 Shimano drivetrain (it's enough for me, every once in while I wish for a bit more top end). I love it. It's not too aggressive and not too slack in it's geo and set-up, if that makes sense. I'm just a tad over 6ft with a 6'1" arm span so we're pretty comparable, and the fit is good but one thing I would definitely advise you to consider is a set back seat post. With the somewhat shorter stem, the 19 inch 057 will most likely have you pushing your seat as far back in the rails as possible. Works for me, but maybe not for you. Just a thought.

Also, I personally kinda wish I had gone for a 29+ bike. Of course, they weren't available in chiner options when I did my build so no regrets, just saying that I'm kinda getting the upgrade bug. I only bring it up because you mention your age and a stiff back at times.. Apparently the 29+ platform provides a lot more cush than normal 29er. Just another thought.

Welcome!

Here's a vid of my 057 build.. Give you an idea of what you're considering building. Also, you can see I have the seat slammed all the way back:

« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 10:29:07 AM by Sitar_Ned »

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #164 on: June 25, 2016, 11:01:57 AM »
If I were to build a new bike today and were buying wheels anyway, I'd be going plus size, the 3.0" tire is the future of mountain biking.  I'm no longer interested in "skinny" tire bikes anymore.  27.5+ just offers extra grip with 29+ offers tremendous grip and a comfy ride.  Just some food for thought.  I wish my -057 could accept even a 2.8" tire but based on Patrick's report, I don't even want to bother upgrading my -057.  I'll probably look into a FS 27.5+ frame, wheels, and fork and move over my remaining parts to a new frame.  Peter has a new FS 27.5+ frame, although if I were to go to all that trouble, then later a FS 29+ frame was offered I'd be bummed.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA