Author Topic: Welcome to Chinertown - Introduce Yourself!  (Read 210219 times)

busted frame

Re: Welcome to Chinertown - Introduce Yourself!
« Reply #210 on: October 23, 2016, 09:42:34 PM »
I'm sure I'm going to have more questions, but here are a couple more:

I'm trying to find the difference between BB30 & BSA.  My current bottom bracket is a shimano SM-BB70.  Planning to reuse everything on my existing bike, so is this BB30 or BSA?

I see different letters in front of the 057, like IP, FM, CS - do these mean anything?  The one on xmcarbonspeed is a CS-057.

Thanks

Midwest-MTBer

« Reply #211 on: October 24, 2016, 12:21:19 AM »
I'm sure I'm going to have more questions, but here are a couple more:

I'm trying to find the difference between BB30 & BSA.  My current bottom bracket is a shimano SM-BB70.  Planning to reuse everything on my existing bike, so is this BB30 or BSA?

I see different letters in front of the 057, like IP, FM, CS - do these mean anything?  The one on xmcarbonspeed is a CS-057.

Thanks

BSA is an external bottom bracket that threads into the frame. BB30 needs to be installed by a press. Not sure what BB70 is, but I assume it's similar. Google image search for a sheet shwing them all. There's loads of information on bb's.

It's going to be tough to reuse everything. Make sure to look for adapters too. Perhaps there's something that'll make it work. In my opinion it might just be worth the upgrade to go BSA for the easy servicing and part availability.

The letters signify the seller of the frame. An IP-036 is the same as the CS-036. Marginal difference in quality between vendors. Stick with the vendors that take care of you. Peter has been great.

adbl

« Reply #212 on: November 11, 2016, 02:20:46 PM »
Welcome busted frame!

So it isn't the same geo as your Giant but the 057 is the kinda go to frame for reliability around here.. not that the others aren't reliable, it's just the the 057 has been around the longest and has been tested long-term by a lot of members here. I'm like you and want a light bike but not at the expense of a reliable frame... I've been riding the 057 for a few years now with absolutely no problems at all and I'm pretty much precisely your build at just a bit under 6'1" and fluctuate between 215lbs and 225 lbs depending on if I'm more into lifting or riding at the time. I'm on a 19" frame and it fits well the only thing I would say is if you're going to have a shorter stem you may want a set back seat post. I have a 75mm stem and no set back post and have my seat as far back on the rails as possible and it fits perfect. I have longer arms than normal for my height so that may factor into but since your a bit taller than me I'm betting that is safe advice to give you.

I think that would a good place for you to start your search but don't just take my word for it.. lots of info and frames to look over. Sorry I couldn't help you find a Giant like geo frame.. Good luck!

I have an 057 as well and really like the bike! I started out on a FS bike and this has been my first hardtail. I would also suggest a setback seatpost. I recently installed a 60mm stem from a 90mm and the handling of the bike improved greatly! Not that is was bad before but i felt like i was in too much of a XC race position and wanted to be more upright. My bar width is 725mm and the new standard seems to be, the wider the bars the shorter the stem. That certainly has been the case for me.

Now that i have done that, i do wish i had a setback seatpost as mine is all the way rearward too. I am 6'1" 210lbs so i'm similar to your build. In NC we have a lot of tight, twisty singletrack and this 29er has not been a hindrance at all. I was coming from a 26er and was expecting the handling to be lazy, especially on the switchbacks. Not at all!!! I think it handles better than my 26er which, by the way, was a giant  ::)

Natxa

« Reply #213 on: November 17, 2016, 05:50:19 AM »
Hi there,

New in the forum,

Just triyng to find out if it´s a good decision buying a carbon frame from a "china" company or from a big brand. Any help is welcome.

Thanks.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #214 on: November 17, 2016, 06:21:03 AM »
It's good for anyone who wants to select all the components themselves and put together the bicycle themselves.  Once you assemble a complete bike you can maintain it yourself as well.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

petrvtr

« Reply #215 on: November 17, 2016, 10:45:32 AM »
Hey there,

I'm new in the forum and I would like to introduce my first build. After some time spent reading this forum I decided to purchase CS-057 frame from xmcarbonspeed.com.
Specification as follows:
CS-057 19 "frame
SP7 seatpost
SP2 carbon stem
B7 straight carbon handlebar
Force headsed and seatpost clamp
Mavic CROSSMAX ELITE wheels with Mavic Pulse Pro  2.1x29" UST tyres
SR Suntour AXON ELITE fork, 100mm  stroke
Shimano SLX M7000 brakes with J04C metal pads
Shimano SLX M7000 1x11 full set
Ergon SM3 Pro seat

After first ride I'm quite happy with the bike, it runs quite smooth and comfortable.

petrvtr

seahog32

« Reply #216 on: November 17, 2016, 01:11:05 PM »

As already explained, BB30 is a press-in type of bottom bracket while BSA is an external, threaded, "screw-in" type of bb.

SM-BB70 is just a manufacturer's coding for they product. It is a BSA type of bb.

Rick64

« Reply #217 on: December 21, 2016, 09:36:02 AM »
Hi, just joined and am looking to buy a 29er xc hardtail frame has anyone used this company https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2017-new-T1000-UD-carbon-MTB-frame-29er-27-5er-Mountain-bicycle-frameset-142-12mm-thru/32712915147.html?spm=2114.12010108.1000023.3.oGio1x or can recommend one for a sub 1000g frame please. Looking to reuse my Crossmax ST wheels and 1 x 11 drivetrain.

Thanks
Rich

busted frame

« Reply #218 on: January 15, 2017, 09:56:03 PM »
I picked up an un-used chinese carbon frame on Craigslist.  I'm noticing a potential problem with it though.  It seems like the top bearing pocket for the headset bearing is pretty shallow.  When I put my old headset in it, it sticks up quite a bit.  I'm thinking this might be ok (when I tighten everything down, it seems solid), but gunk will be able to get in there pretty easy and it just doesn't seem right to me.  I was planning on getting a new headset anyway.  Any recommendation on this?  I have attached some pictures for reference.

Thanks

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #219 on: January 16, 2017, 06:57:04 AM »
Most likely you need the correct headset bearings for your frame that have the correct thickness dimensions for your bearing cups.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

adbl

« Reply #220 on: January 17, 2017, 03:12:30 PM »
Carbon Dude is correct, you'll need to get the proper bearings for those cups. Even though your old headset technically "fits" it's not compatible with the bearing cups the frame manufacturer uses. Most of them use Neco headsets and if you know who made the frame they should be able to supply you with a part number.

carbonazza

« Reply #221 on: January 17, 2017, 03:45:35 PM »
Since the cup is very shallow and in aluminium.
I'm wondering if this is not for a conventional threadless headsets: http://branfordbike.com/articles/headsets-pg66.htm
Using a bearing retainer instead of integrated or semi integrated cartridge bearings, like most of us.

intellikat

« Reply #222 on: February 08, 2017, 10:01:34 AM »
Hi All.

I just wanted to dip my toe in here to introduce myself. My name's John, and bikes are a big passion in my life.

Two and a half years ago I moved to Guangzhou, China. In my first year, I started to ride the local trails as well as connect with local riders. I also started to learn a bit about the manufacturers and companies here in Guangdong. I began to read forums online where non-Chinese riders overseas were sharing information on frames and components (mostly carbon).

I had the idea then of launching a simple website where myself and a partner reviewed and provided technical info and ride impressions on frames and components. I'm a passionate trail/enduro rider and builder who has toured and raced in the US, Australia, and SE Asia. My partner is a sponsored xc/road rider for a Chinese brand who also works for WTB. http://en.campbicycle.com/index.php?g=&m=article&a=index&id=65

Unfortunately, my partner couldn't commit at the time due to race and travel schedules, and I was bogged down in launching the Art and Drama programs at an international school here (my day job). So, we put the site on hold.

Recently, I've re-evaluated the model and am looking at coming back into it. I'd love to provide firsthand resources and information to riders in communities like Chinertown who don't have the benefit of being in physical contact with the manufacturers and products they are sifting through online, and who also don't speak Chinese when it might help. Being something of middle-men here, we might be able to create a valuable interface between the two worlds on a number of levels.

Does this idea sound like a good one to you? This is something like old school market research :)
"A woman needs a man like a fish needs slacker geometry, a longer wheelbase, and at least 150mm of travel." - Irina Dunn (loosely quoted)

Rick64

« Reply #223 on: February 08, 2017, 10:19:44 AM »
Hi Intelikat, sounds like a great idea and source of local information  8)

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #224 on: February 08, 2017, 05:05:26 PM »
Recently, I've re-evaluated the model and am looking at coming back into it. I'd love to provide firsthand resources and information to riders in communities like Chinertown who don't have the benefit of being in physical contact with the manufacturers and products they are sifting through online, and who also don't speak Chinese when it might help. Being something of middle-men here, we might be able to create a valuable interface between the two worlds on a number of levels.

Does this idea sound like a good one to you? This is something like old school market research :)

Welcome, intellicat.

I think being a native english speaking (assumption based on your fluency) resident of China with access to the manufacturers there would certainly create some opportunities for you to bring valuable information to potential buyers of these products, and to the forum in general, and possibly even create some opportunity for yourself. Just have to find that hole in the market, and fill it.

Glad to have you.