Author Topic: Carbonal Orion build thread. Aiming for 8.5kg (18.75lbs)  (Read 17997 times)

Carbon_Dude

Re: Carbonal Orion build thread. Aiming for 8.5kg (18.75lbs)
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2014, 07:48:30 PM »
No special affiliation between Chinertown and iPlay, it was SN's idea to do the giveaway and since he and I both have ordered from Peter.  SN contacted Peter about doing a giveaway to help promote Chinertown.  I think SN's marketing idea had a very positive impact on the forum.

2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2014, 12:36:08 PM »
This is assuming, of course, that there isn't some unknown affiliation between Chinertown and Iplay?

Sorry to derail your thread jonxmack.. Just wanted to say there is no affiliation at all - other than me and CD having positive experiences doing business with them. Nice guys, with good customer service/communication, and a good product. Like you said.. They just happen to be the ones that see the value in being involved in online MTB communities.. Any seller can come in here and represent their frames and brand.

Okay.. back to the build thread..

Looks nice. I'd like to hear what you think of the Hope brakes? Since pretty much everyone uses the Shimanos.

Also, I clicked through to your store.. This looks fun lol:

jonxmack

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2014, 05:17:29 AM »
Looks nice. I'd like to hear what you think of the Hope brakes? Since pretty much everyone uses the Shimanos.

I've not used Shimano so can't compare (although my dad has just bought a set so will have a go on them once his bike is built) but I have always been a fan of Hope stuff. Being that it was a SRAM build I didn't want to poison the build with Shimano, so decided to go to Hope because they were a good price and weight. Over the last 12 months they've been absolutely flawless, I really can't complain about them, one finger braking is easy, they stop me no matter what, they're just a great brake. Plus I like supporting UK companies!
Handmade cycle accessories and luggage - http://www.thebreakaway.cc/

jonxmack

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2014, 04:46:56 AM »
UPDATE:

They never sent me a shipping notification (annoying) but I just emailed and it turns out it was sent on Saturday 12th, despite them saying they're only open Monday - Friday (progress!)

It's now Thursday 17th and my frame is in the country, and with Customs.

Your item was handed over to Customs(UNITED KINGDOM COVENTRY PARCELFORCE) at 2014-07-16 11:38:00

So now I wait...

Sussed.

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2014, 05:13:24 AM »
Once my frame and wheels were handed over to customs at Parcelforce Coventry it took a day for wheels and two days for the frame to be delivered IIRC. !

8)

jonxmack

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2014, 05:14:00 AM »
Once my frame and wheels were handed over to customs at Parcelforce Coventry it took a day for wheels and two days for the frame to be delivered IIRC. !

8)

:D :D :D :D :D

As soon as it arrives it'll be being built up. I have no plans this weekend so if it arrives by Saturday I'll get it done then, if not then early next week I'll be posting photos!

Since the parts are all coming off an existing bike it's just a case of bolting everything on, took me half an hour to strip the old bike, will probably take around the same amount of time to build this one, although the internal routing is going to be "fun", and I'll have to chop the steerer on the forks, again (scary).
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 05:15:57 AM by jonxmack »

jonxmack

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 02:08:26 AM »
No of course I haven't been checking the tracking data every day without fail for the last 5 days, what're you talking about  :-[

Your item was released from Customs(UNITED KINGDOM COVENTRY PARCELFORCE) at 2014-07-21 21:43:00

:D

jonxmack

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2014, 09:54:47 AM »
Unfortunately I woke to a messages saying there was customs fees to be paid, noooooo!

However it's only £58.32, so I'm going to dash home after work, grab the note they dropped through the door, head back up to the depot and get it, then build it, then shred it tomorrow!

Pictures to come in abouuuuut four-ish hours all being well.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2014, 10:36:06 AM »
Thanks for the update.  Pictures are always good when you get the frame and start building.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

jonxmack

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2014, 04:13:56 PM »

;)

Vipassana

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2014, 07:22:57 PM »
Looks great!  What are your impressions of the bike so far?

brmeyer135

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2014, 08:19:31 PM »
Did you hit your weight goal as per the title of this thread?

jonxmack

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2014, 02:25:42 AM »
Looks great!  What are your impressions of the bike so far?

I'm really impressed with it, the finish is absolutely amazing, the internal routing works brilliantly with a full outer down the downtube then out under the BB, and cable stops for the inner to run through the chainstay out to the rear mech. The BB92 BB pressed in with ease using my headset press, the whole frame is just really well made, and I imagine they must paint them after because the finish is flawless.

Did you hit your weight goal as per the title of this thread?

However I did weigh it twice after, and it came out at 8.4 and then 8.7 so I'm not sure 1) how accurate the scales are 2) how much it actually weighs! It should be around 8.4, and that seems like a fair average.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 02:27:18 AM by jonxmack »

carbonazza

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2014, 02:27:33 PM »
I'm impressed by the time it took you to decide for the frame, order it and build it.
Mine is still stuck at the customs... and far from built.

Is there any flex in the fork?
How are your hands/harm after an XC ride?
Or is there a special technique to ride with such fork.

jonxmack

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2014, 02:32:13 PM »
I'm impressed by the time it took you to decide for the frame, order it and build it.
Mine is still stuck at the customs... and far from built.

Is there any flex in the fork?
How are your hands/harm after an XC ride?
Or is there a special technique to ride with such fork.

Well when I started comparing geometries and lead times this came out on top, closest geo to the Open O-1.0 which was designed by Gerard Vroomen of Cervélo and Andy Kessler of BMC, and in stock ready to go!

There is plenty of flex in the Niner fork but since it's such a reputable brand I trust it's not going to snap underneath me, plus I only weigh 69kg on a heavy day! I do get cramp in my hands but that's because I hold my bars so tight, taking the edge off is all in the tyre setup. Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.25 set up tubeless with 18psi gives a nice amount of bounce and you learn to suck the rest up in your arms.