Author Topic: Lightcarbon LCFS937 Build  (Read 78324 times)

flimay2k9

Re: Lightcarbon LCFS937 Build
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2019, 02:10:49 PM »
After travelling for work for some time I finally got all the little parts I needed and finished putting the bike together. I was waiting on my magura shiftmix parts (pretty expensive @ $60) to have a cleaner cockpit, looks pretty good tough. Weight is coming at 27 lbs, not too bad for a bike I did not really tried to save weight.

List of parts:

Lightcarbon LCFS937 frame
Lightcarbon carbon 33mm wheels with DT 350 straight pull hubs
Rockshox Yari 140mm fork
Rockshox Delux RT3 trunnion 42,5 mm travel
Rockshox stealth Reverb 390mm and 125mm drop with X1 remote
Sram 1x12 Eagle GX drivetrain
Magura MT Sport brakes with 180mm rotors
Raceface aeffect 50mm stem
BZA 35mm carbon handlebar 800mm
Canecreek Slamset headset
Maxxis Ikon 2.25 on the back and Ardent 2.4 on the front

Here's a couple of details:

And the bike completed:

I love how the bike rides and how everything went together really nicely, love that I don't need adapters for 180mm rotors.

But not everything is pretty, after a couple of quick rides around my house on fairly flat terrain I noticed a little crack on the frame, after another quick ride it got worse, so now the bike was deemed unsafe and I'm working with John from Lightcarbon on a warranty claim. He's being pretty responsible so far, so I'll keep you guys posted.

I can actually feel the seat tube wall that goes around the rear shock is pretty thin where it failed, so hopefully this is an isolated issue. The only problem is to wait at least another 3 or 4 weeks to ride the bike, and then reassemble everything.

sissypants

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2019, 07:22:34 AM »
But not everything is pretty, after a couple of quick rides around my house on fairly flat terrain I noticed a little crack on the frame, after another quick ride it got worse, so now the bike was deemed unsafe and I'm working with John from Lightcarbon on a warranty claim. He's being pretty responsible so far, so I'll keep you guys posted.

I can actually feel the seat tube wall that goes around the rear shock is pretty thin where it failed, so hopefully this is an isolated issue. The only problem is to wait at least another 3 or 4 weeks to ride the bike, and then reassemble everything.

Thanks for sharing, this is concerning (again). Is all your hardware securely fastened?  I torqued all my hardware to specs when I got the frame (it wasn't assembled to max allowed torque) and thought I'd be good to go for a while.  I was extremely surprised to find that *several* bolts in the suspension linkage had worked their way loose. I even lost one! I was able to get a steel equivalent at a hardware store for $0.70 and am back riding, but this is also perplexing.

I have about 125 miles of very aggressive singletrack riding on my frame at this point. A lot of top 10s on competitive Strava segments. The bike continues to impress, but if I hadn't caught this hardware getting loose I'm afraid I'd be in the same boat as you.

I've got a time trial on singletrack this Saturday. I'm no dedicated racer, but it's a statewide event and I'd like a shot at a good time, here's hoping the bike delivers!

gohloum

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2019, 08:05:29 AM »

Full review here:  https://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/light-carbon-fs937-downcountry-29er-build-1101497.html
[/quote]

I read your review. Very nice.  Question, where did you find the grips?  I have found some on AliExpress, but they are not that thick.  I really like those as they look more like the ESI Chunky.  Can you provide a link?

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2019, 02:29:44 PM »
Damn what a bummer to hear about your cracked frame flimkay... keep us updated with how the warrant goes, please. This frame is looking like a winner except for that so far.

sissypants

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2019, 05:04:30 PM »

Full review here:  https://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/light-carbon-fs937-downcountry-29er-build-1101497.html

I read your review. Very nice.  Question, where did you find the grips?  I have found some on AliExpress, but they are not that thick.  I really like those as they look more like the ESI Chunky.  Can you provide a link?
[/quote]

Yeah you are correct, the grips are thinner or thicker depending on who you buy them from.  This is exactly what I bought:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Pair-Silicone-Anti-slip-Bike-Foam-Grip-MTB-Bike-Handlebar-Grip-Slip-Proof-US/202596507249

It is very hard getting them on the bars.  I recommend using a little dish soap and hot water. They will NOT come off though unless you slice them, so buy a few extras.

carbonazza

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2019, 10:39:32 AM »
It is very hard getting them on the bars.  I recommend using a little dish soap and hot water. They will NOT come off though unless you slice them, so buy a few extras.

Thanks for the link, I've ordered two pair( max per user... )

If you have a compressor and a air gun with a thin nozzle, you can start to put the grip on the bar.
Put the nozzle between the bar and the grip and blow.
This will put some air between the bar and the grip for an easy slide.

Sometimes it gets harder.
You may have to plug the bar at the end, I use some tape.
Put the nozzle, and plug with my end the end of the grip.
This makes the grip inflate like a balloon. Very little, but enough for an easy slide too.

emu26

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2019, 11:07:27 PM »
Just use windex. Spray a little inside the grips first then just slide them on.  Getting them off is harder as you need to get the windex under the grip somehow. I usually use a couple of bamboo skewers between the grip and the bar to form a little gap then spray it in. Pull out the skewers and then twist the grips off.

lRaphl

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2019, 09:40:28 AM »
Rubbing alcohol also works well when trying to fit those kind of grips.

sissypants

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2019, 09:00:20 PM »
Well so far my bike has evaded the crack issues, I had some issues with the hardware bending so I got Grade 5 bolts from the hardware store and ever since those went in the setup has been creak-free and strong as ever. I still have to keep an eye on one of the trunnion mount bolts as it can work it's way loose after a few long, really demanding rides. As long as these bolts are tight all seems to be ok. I rode this bike very hard, certainly as hard as anyone else on this thread, and again, no issues with cracks.

And, a plug, my build is up for sale. $3000 for the complete build or $1,000 for the frameset with the Fox Factory Trunnion shock. See MTBR for more details or my full review. Making way for the next project.

flimay2k9

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2019, 10:41:50 AM »
Well took me a while to write back, I got banned again for some reason or I can't login, so I'm using a different name.

I've been traveling for work and it took me some time to finally get the bike together and get a chance to go outside and ride the bike. Everything was going fine until last week, after a short ride I got back and inspect the bike and guess what I found:

Yes, same place, same type of damage. I'm a heavy rider, 220 lbs and 6'2" so maybe I'm too heavy for the frame, but the fact is that it cracked in the same location and same way. I was beyond frustrated and annoyed, could not even look at the bike for a few days and thought about scrapping it.

Here's the first frame, that took more damage because I rode the bike with the crack to see if it was still usable and the crack spread.

Now the two side by side:

I have no confidence in riding the bike with this frame again.

I see two options for now, either get another frame and transfer everything and I'd be very limited as I bought all my parts specifically for this frame, or try to repair it.

I'm tempted to go with the second option and try to repair with a much sturdier layup of carbon even if it does not look good in the end. I'll send the pictures and get quotes, but I know this will cost as much as a new front triangle possibly, so I need to be careful with my decision.

Any recommendations?

emu26

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2019, 04:03:39 PM »
Wow, really sorry to hear that the second frame also cracked. So I presume they gave you a new front triangle or did they make you pay for it?  I would be going back to them again to see what they have to say about it but this time I would be trying for a full refund.

I would also be going to my bank and having a chat to them. There may be nothing they can do but it had only been 2 months since you got the first frame.

I hope you are able to get something worked out.

numberzero

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2019, 07:53:30 AM »
These failures are more or less predictable.
The suspension cannot work if something doesn't flex, when you see the section of the rear triangle you don't imagine this thing to flex a lot so i think there's a lot of stress going in the bearings and in the front triangle.
Moreover in france we have the brand Sunn which had many problems of cracks on their shamann with similar split seat tube design and shock position...

kduvey

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2019, 07:51:49 PM »
Well took me a while to write back, I got banned again for some reason or I can't login, so I'm using a different name.

Please do keep us updated.

I've been following this and I'm sure many others have too. I've made an account just to reply here.

I really am liking this frame, and was/am very close to placing an order. This thread has me worried a bit.

I have emailed both light carbon and yishun asking specifically about cracking issues in the seat tube. Neither have replied and its been about 4 days now - I'm hoping they are just taking the time to properly understand the issue and come up with a fix.

fingers crossed its just a matter of adding  few layers of carbon to the layup in that area, or just a defect in the 19'' mold.

We will see.

kduvey

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2019, 10:12:27 PM »
OK.. so for anyone else out there following this or visiting from the future...

I've decided to bite the bullet and place an order for one of these frames. I know its a risk given that the OP here had a couple frames crack on him... but YOLO.

The geometry is just about what id call perfect (for me) and I love the suspension design.

I'm getting it painted, so it will be at least a month until it arrive I suspect. I also got a wheelset and a set of handlebars from light carbon coming along with it

The build will be running 27.5x2.6 tires, 130mm in the rear, 150mm up front.

It'll be a fun bike. A bike build 100% to have fun. light, flick-able, playful, capable. I hope...

Ill make a thread in the 27.5 forum to document it once it comes in, FYI.

drummercat

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2019, 10:58:29 PM »
I bought this frame in 17.5 last thursday, I live in Hong Kong so the frame arrive very quickly at Friday.

I've disassembled all the parts from my old FS-029 (which I rode for 2 yrs), and waiting for a 165x45 fox shock I bought from ebay yesterday. Will build it up immediately once all parts are here.