Author Topic: Lightcarbon LCFS937 Build  (Read 78393 times)

kduvey

Re: Lightcarbon LCFS937 Build
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2019, 12:50:50 AM »
Do you mean 325mm not 425mm for bb height?  I assume that is to middle of bb?

Yes and yes.

I've edited my previous post.

its 325mm from the floor to the center of the bottom bracket axle.

Very low. I knew it would be from the geo chart. Running a 170mm crank in an attempt to compensate. Anticipating a learning curve on technical climbs...

emu26

« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2019, 02:09:51 AM »
It seems to be the new norm and it is the reason I haven't pulled the trigger on one of a couple of frames.  Lots of sandstone step-ups around here and I struggle enough as it is without constant pedal strikes.

I've been riding 175mm cranks for ages and don't know how I will go with 170mm, I would be interested in hearing your feedback on the difference.

kduvey

« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2019, 07:00:05 AM »
Here are some pics of the final build, as promised.

The stoke is high.

Will be a few days before I properly ride it. Took it for a bit of an urban rampage just now, it was fun, and still no cracks yet...

The build:

- frame is a size large. Colour is '300c' with a matte finish

- fox dps factory rear shock 165x45. Got it off ebay brand new - came off an Evil the following. The Evil is also a linkage driven single pivot, so the tune should suit this bike well.

- fox 36 factory, set at 150mm

- Lightcarbon wheelset, with 27.5 x 2.6 maxxis Rekon tires

- Light carbon bars

- Sram NX eagle groupset - 170mm cranks

- Shimano XT m8000 brakes

- DVO garnet dropper. Cant remember if its 125mm or 150mm.

- cane creek hellbender headset

- spank 35mm stem

kduvey

« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2019, 07:00:59 AM »
A few more photos....

supermoto65

« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2019, 08:05:24 AM »
Bike looks great!

Re 170mm cranks. I put 165's on mine and did not notice one bit of difference other than fewer pedal strikes. There was a study done and linked to on MTBR forum that shows the loss of power is barely measurable. I've also read that shorter cranks are a little better for people with knee issues so there's that as well.

emu26

« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2019, 03:32:48 PM »
kduvey, the bike looks great and I hope you never get cracks.

supermoto, did you raise your saddle  10mm when you swapped to 165mm cranks to keep the same leg position at the bottom of the stroke or did you not bother with that? Thanks for the feedback

supermoto65

« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2019, 09:50:45 AM »
I probably raised it but did not measure. I like my knee a little more bent than what is said to be "optimal". I've made a few cockpit adjustments since as well ... raised my bars a little and moved my controls in a bit. Running 780 bars and may trim them down 10 or 20 mm.

Really liking the looks of this bike .. may have to consider an XC build!

kduvey

« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2019, 07:36:39 PM »
So I’ve managed to get about 5 hours of singletrack riding over the last couple days. Good variety of technical climbs, rocky steep descents, flowy jump lines, and everything in between. Interestingly, the bike garnered a ton of attention at the crowded trail hub I was at. I mean, A LOT. I was snappin necks like I was Pamala Anderson in her prime strutin a skimpy bikini. People on their 15k yetis were swooning over my $600 chiner bike!!

Most importantly: no cracks yet. I rode the thing pretty hard. Did a bunch of drops with the biggest being about 8 feet. A few 4-5 footers to flat. I also cased a very large double quite hard at one point – and both the frame and carbon rims are just fine.

Disclaimer: the ride characteristics are not all down to the frame’s design, but also largely to the build spec. Other builds may feel different. Needless to say, the beefy wide carbon bars and ultra short stem, beefy carbon rims, and fox 36’s on this bike would feel very different than a set of alloy XC wheels, 32s, and some noodlely narrow XC bars hanging off a stem longer than your….

In summary:
I am very happy with the performance. Pretty much rides as expected with the geometry/suspension design/build spec. it’s a VERY stiff bike, in a good way. It’s a fun poppy and playful bike, but not twitchy. Def more on the stable side than twitchy. It was happy to allow me to pick my lines very precisely, yet didn’t complain if I was lazy and wanted to plow through a rockgarden. Climbing was obviously not XC-like, with a hint of pedal bob, but it was actually pretty good. Good enough for me.  If I was a western company trying to market this frame, I’d spin it as an everyday fun bike for the average weekend warrior. Something to go put a smile on your face and encourage you to climb back to the top just one more time. A trail bike with a focus on making you feel like a boss on the descents.

Climbing:
It's a single pivot design, so yes, there is a bit of pedal bob. It's not as bad as other single pivots I've ridden though. The climb switch on my fox dps mitigated the bob pretty well. It felt fairly efficient climbing, felt like the energy that I put in was pretty well transferred to forward momentum. All in all the climbs felt similar in efficiency to my previous bike - a santa cruz bronson. The main issue I had was pedal strikes. The bottom bracket is stupidly low, 325mm, mainly because I put 27.5 wheels in a frame meant for 29ers. I did suffer from more pedal strikes than normal, but so far I'm OK with it. I think I’ll be able to adapt. 170mm crank arms, 54 engagement points in the hub, a bash guard, and thin pedals will in part mitigate it - the rest will be up to line selection and technique.

Descending:
Yes, there is a hint of brake jack, and a little pedal feedback. However, you don’t notice these things unless you try to – and ultimately I had more fun on trails I know best than any of my previous bikes. The bike was very balanced - it was smooth and stable yet at the same time I always felt in control. I was able to mindlessly plow over rock gardens, but it still felt easy to point the bike where I wanted - I never had a problem changing lines at will. It was intuitive, very easy, confidence inspiring. The suspension is very supportive and poppy no matter where I was in the travel - a welcome change to the dullness and mushiness of the VPP on my Bronson. I was popping off everything – I felt like I was in one of those mtb films... And OMG… the corning. The low BB and stiffness of the frame made the berms feel like heaven. Felt like I was carving a snowboard. So good. The bike was awesome through the jumps as well. I was clearing quite big doubles easier than I normally do. After a few tweaks to the suspension, the bike popped off lips in a composed and balanced way. I was also pleasantly surprised with the ease of which the bike manuals. It has 444.5mm chain stays, but honestly was no fuss getting the front wheel up. I think with such a long wheelbase it might actually be better having a slightly longer rear end to balance things out.

Anyways, I’ll come back in a few weeks or so and give any updates after more trail time and maybe the new bike love affair is over.

So far, so good.

kduvey

« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2019, 06:25:31 PM »
Another weekend of hard riding (this time on some more techy/steep unsanctioned trails). Still no cracks. Still really liking the bike.

In other news, it looks like Lightcarbon has changed the name of this frame - I'm guessing this is to recognize the change in carbon layup to the problematic cracking area near the linage?

ReverendRockRazor

« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2019, 01:30:52 PM »
 Ya I hadn't read this thread before i ordered mine. I guess I know why they changed the model name. The answer I got when I asked about the change was "more stiff more strong" I am 140-45lbs so hopefully I have no probs.

I ordered on the ninth got my invoice on the 12th haven't heard anything since. So I sent them an email today because I will be out of town and need to know when it will ship.
I thought it would be rather quick because I ordered glossy clear. 

I also am coming from a vpp bike an Intense Recluse. I did not care for the suspension with a coil or a air shock.
With air it was chattery off the top and then soft if you tried to pump. It did take big hits well though.
 With coil it just blew through the travel.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 01:37:02 PM by ReverendRockRazor »

kduvey

« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2019, 07:15:56 PM »
Ya I hadn't read this thread before i ordered mine. I guess I know why they changed the model name. The answer I got when I asked about the change was "more stiff more strong" I am 140-45lbs so hopefully I have no probs.

I ordered on the ninth got my invoice on the 12th haven't heard anything since. So I sent them an email today because I will be out of town and need to know when it will ship.
I thought it would be rather quick because I ordered glossy clear. 

I also am coming from a vpp bike an Intense Recluse. I did not care for the suspension with a coil or a air shock.
With air it was chattery off the top and then soft if you tried to pump. It did take big hits well though.
 With coil it just blew through the travel.

Ordering anything Chinese factory direct is a bit like that - confusing communications and uncertainty - especially around timelines. There is always some element of risk involved for sure. Best to do what you have done - keep a line of communication open. Having a good attitude tends to be received well and will be returned with a good attitude as well.

That said, I've personally yet to have a really bad experience and I've dealt quite a bit with Chinese factories getting 'samples (not just with bike frames).

Anyways, this frame is still going really well for me. No cracks. About 30 hours of riding now - all quite hard and gravity focused. I'm a dense 230lber too with a fairly aggressive riding style. a creak has developed somewhere - but I'm not worried about it. I didn't grease a few of the pivot bolts - probably just that.

I'm with you, vpp has always felt horrible to me. Had v1 nomad for a few years which was awful and then a v1 Bronson for a few years. The Bronson was def better, but still had that weird mushiness in the middle of the travel. No support. I hear its getting better though in the most recent models.

bruto

« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2019, 03:03:21 AM »
What's everyone thinking about this frame's mud collection capabilities?
Looks like shock and linkage are very well positioned to catch half the sh!t flying off the rear wheel
Any success ziptying a homemade fender to the rear triangle?

ReverendRockRazor

« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2019, 09:17:23 AM »
 Ya I'm going to start looking at some fenders. the best option would be to buy one from a bike company that has one on their bikes such as Santa Cruz. Edit: don't think they will work.

I bought one of their hightower ribbed chainstay protectors and it fits pretty well. Had to trim off a little bit but that wasn't hard like 5 sec with a hacksaw.

I got mine built up mostly waiting on cash to have my Chris Kings built into some lb carbon 29 hoops.

I went with the clear gloss and I have to recommend it. It comes off as almost black with a little grey you don't see all the carbon layup like matte it's deep with the carbon visible when the light hits it right. I've got a dyedbro.com wrap/protection kit on it and it is beautiful.

Ordered 29 lowers for my 27.5 mrp ribbon coil which will give me a 44mm offset fork. I'll run it 160mm to slack it a bit.

Got a fox performance 165x45 with a Rwc needle bearing in the top. It is very supple in decend mode it is as sensitive as my DB inline coil on my Recluse was. No joke not exaggerating. Say that though I'm sending it to Avalanche for tuning so I can have that sensitivity and pedal well.

Here's the wrap I got https://dyedbro.com/product/guadalupe-color/

Word of warning to anybody buying this frame LOCTITE YOUR TRUNNION BOLTS. They will loosen otherwise. I loctite  mine and now no problem.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 09:33:51 AM by ReverendRockRazor »

Kreviuz

« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2019, 09:38:24 AM »
Does anyone received new version of frame (LCFS958)? It is now stiff in previously cracked area, or it will be better to find another frame options? How is it going by now?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 09:57:28 AM by Kreviuz »

ReverendRockRazor

« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2019, 03:14:17 PM »
Does anyone received new version of frame (LCFS958)? It is now stiff in previously cracked area, or it will be better to find another frame options? How is it going by now?

Yes I have the 958 in large. I have complete confidence in the frame. By the way mine weighed 2450grams in size large.

Also I am finding with this suspension less pressure less volume. Let it sit a bit low and fill the air chamber up . I have the .6 volume reducer plus a bunch of gear grease to shrink the volume. I like the grease method as I can really fine tune it.
 Sitting at about 30% sag using this method I can pedal seated thru 1-2" roots all day with comfort and carrying speed no problem.
 But still get a nice pump and pop due to the ramp up adjusting rebound to allow this of course.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 01:12:25 AM by ReverendRockRazor »