Author Topic: Lightcarbon LCFS937 Build  (Read 78339 times)

ReverendRockRazor

Re: Lightcarbon LCFS937 Build
« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2020, 03:11:48 PM »
 This is true very expensive. I even joked with Trickstuff on pinkbike when they showed their prototype fork. (Very raw and very sick.)

I told them I would like to buy one of their forks but I only have one kidney left after buying their brakes.

In reality I actually bought my brakes 1 at a time. And made sacrifices to pay for them. For several months I had a tickstuff on the front and an xtm8000 on the rear.
 So i got a daily comparison between highend and budget brakes.

carbonazza

« Reply #91 on: May 13, 2020, 05:01:22 AM »
One of the problems with owning Trickstuff is you are out of the brake conversation.

Anytime a new brake comes out you might start to read about it and get excited. But then you look at your bike and go "I'm good" like forever.

;)

The Race Hope brakes I did put on my first build 6 years ago, don't want to die either.
But the Trickstuff looks definitely on another level.

Pharaohollie

« Reply #92 on: July 13, 2020, 08:58:11 AM »
Was going to build up one of these then went with a different frame, but every time I see a picture posted in this thread I can't help but think how good looking this bike is.

Colt__Seavers

« Reply #93 on: July 13, 2020, 02:06:15 PM »

LCFS958 Build 17.5”
Painted with Montana Black Spray Paint - Blue Lagoon
Clear Coated with Spraymaxx 2k Gloss

Wanted to do the same thing, bit wanted to use Montana Gold instead. Also using SorayMaxx 2K Primer.
When should I use Montana Black and when Gold?

Thanks

crcast

« Reply #94 on: July 15, 2020, 08:05:22 AM »

Wanted to do the same thing, bit wanted to use Montana Gold instead. Also using SorayMaxx 2K Primer.

Thanks

Montana Gold is ideal as it's a low pressure can that allows a lower output and a more controlled spray. Black is high pressure can with high output, just like most aerosol paint, would cause the paint to run if you spray the surface too long.

I used black because of the colour choices. Just make sure you're using a respirator, this stuff gets everywhere. Especially the Spraymaxx 2k.

Colt__Seavers

« Reply #95 on: July 15, 2020, 10:10:44 AM »

Thanks

Montana Gold is ideal as it's a low pressure can that allows a lower output and a more controlled spray. Black is high pressure can with high output, just like most aerosol paint, would cause the paint to run if you spray the surface too long.

I used black because of the colour choices. Just make sure you're using a respirator, this stuff gets everywhere. Especially the Spraymaxx 2k.

Thanks buddy.
The biggest undertaking is to find a dry and closed and ~20°C spot for painting. Normally painted outside, but it's a pain in the arse

KristianT

« Reply #96 on: July 17, 2020, 03:39:54 AM »
Hi

Close to pull the trigger on this awesome frame, but need advise on sizing.
I am 189 cm / 6.2 ft and inseam 86 cm / 2.82 ft.
Will XL be the choise for me?

Cheers Kristian

rubybear

« Reply #97 on: August 03, 2020, 01:34:58 PM »
Very close to pulling the trigger on this frame to build a replacement for my enduro bike. What do you guys think of my paint scheme? Do you think they would be able to pull it off? I took some inspiration from the Toyota TRD racing paint.

Colt__Seavers

« Reply #98 on: August 03, 2020, 02:08:13 PM »
I'm really surprised to see you guys still ordering this frame. I saw two frames failing on the thread starter at the same location.

rubybear

« Reply #99 on: August 03, 2020, 04:31:08 PM »
I thought they changed the model number to reflect the fix?

Colt__Seavers

« Reply #100 on: August 04, 2020, 07:08:44 AM »
I thought they changed the model number to reflect the fix?

oh ok, I missed that important info then. thanks

StefanB

« Reply #101 on: August 06, 2020, 02:43:45 AM »
I am waiting for my LCFS958 frame and carbon wheels to start my first build of a FS MTB. I already have a great bike, a Merida One Twenty 800 so I am doing this because I got inspired by this forum.

At first I thought that this would be a "cheap" way to build a nice bike. But now that I am calculating and ordering components I realize that I could have bought a great bike for the same money.

Of course I can build the LCFS958 on a budget, with cheap suspension components, cheap gears, cheap brakes, but then I will not know how good the frame is.

Now I have decided to built it with components of the same level as my Merida One-Twenty 800.

https://www.merida-bikes.com/sv-se/bike/14/one-twenty-800

Then it will be the frame that is the difference in the bikes. I hope and wish, that my LCFS958 is going to be better since it will cost more than my Merida.

I will post images during the process.

Colt__Seavers

« Reply #102 on: August 06, 2020, 04:25:28 AM »
I am waiting for my LCFS958 frame and carbon wheels to start my first build of a FS MTB. I already have a great bike, a Merida One Twenty 800 so I am doing this because I got inspired by this forum.

At first I thought that this would be a "cheap" way to build a nice bike. But now that I am calculating and ordering components I realize that I could have bought a great bike for the same money.

Of course I can build the LCFS958 on a budget, with cheap suspension components, cheap gears, cheap brakes, but then I will not know how good the frame is.

Now I have decided to built it with components of the same level as my Merida One-Twenty 800.

https://www.merida-bikes.com/sv-se/bike/14/one-twenty-800

Then it will be the frame that is the difference in the bikes. I hope and wish, that my LCFS958 is going to be better since it will cost more than my Merida.

I will post images during the process.

You are going to use the same components as on the merida and the new bike will be more expensive? Either the merdia frame is very cheap when you exclude all the components, or the LCF is very expensive.
Normally when I build a bike with the same components like the one in the shop, I end up cheaper. I only end up more expensive when I use the money, which I save on the frame, to buy better components as my initial intention

Vipassana

« Reply #103 on: August 06, 2020, 11:15:17 AM »
You are going to use the same components as on the merida and the new bike will be more expensive? Either the merdia frame is very cheap when you exclude all the components, or the LCF is very expensive.
Normally when I build a bike with the same components like the one in the shop, I end up cheaper. I only end up more expensive when I use the money, which I save on the frame, to buy better components as my initial intention

This is my thought as well.  On my hardtail build in 2014, I had about $4k to spend.  That would have gotten me (at the time), a 24lb bike built with upper-midrange components and likely aluminum wheels (remember, carbon was more of an expensive novelty even back then).  Instead I built a 20lb bike with xx1/x01 and carbon wheels for the same money.  There was a ~$1000 difference for the frame (Branded to Open Mold) and ~$700 difference on the carbon wheels (branded to Open Mold).  That money was applied to components.  Using Chinese carbon seat post and handlebar and Chinese stem and seat further increased savings.

OEMs do get a break on components versus what we can generally find retail, but with some careful shopping I've found that components can be bought at very good prices compared to MSRP.

Colt__Seavers

« Reply #104 on: August 06, 2020, 02:30:21 PM »

This is my thought as well.  On my hardtail build in 2014, I had about $4k to spend.  That would have gotten me (at the time), a 24lb bike built with upper-midrange components and likely aluminum wheels (remember, carbon was more of an expensive novelty even back then).  Instead I built a 20lb bike with xx1/x01 and carbon wheels for the same money.  There was a ~$1000 difference for the frame (Branded to Open Mold) and ~$700 difference on the carbon wheels (branded to Open Mold).  That money was applied to components.  Using Chinese carbon seat post and handlebar and Chinese stem and seat further increased savings.

OEMs do get a break on components versus what we can generally find retail, but with some careful shopping I've found that components can be bought at very good prices compared to MSRP.

That's it! 20lb for 4000$? Oh wow that's a very difficult undertaking. Only manageable with a decent amount of AliExpress and used parts. Especially when you are going for XX1/X01, which is even way more expensive than Shimano XTR.
Do you have a part list with money you spent and weights?