Author Topic: Run derailleur housing through 56/57 frame?  (Read 2839 times)

brmeyer135

Run derailleur housing through 56/57 frame?
« on: July 12, 2014, 10:30:12 AM »
Anybody drill out their 56/57 frame to run the full derailleur housing?
I know it is not needed but less exposed wire, even inside the frame, is better.
I am pretty sure I have read where it has been done but wanted to bring it up over here.

Sitar_Ned

Re: Run derailleur housing through 56/57 frame?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 11:48:52 AM »
It was something I considered doing, but decided against. For the same reasons as everyone else, I'm sure - not wanting to take a drill to my new carbon frame.

Instead, I bought Jagwire cables that come with the internal sleeve, thinking that I could at least fit the internal sleeve in there and still have completely unexposed cables, but no such luck. I tried pretty hard to force wire with the internal sleeves through the internal routing, but never got it through. One way or another, I'm sure it could be done though. I could have sworn that I thought I read somewhere that someone had gotten the internal sleeve of a specific cabling system through the 057 frame.. Just can't remember which cables it was that they used. Either way, that may be something to consider trying.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 03:20:44 PM »
There was at least one guy on MTBR that claimed the only way the internal routing would work was if you drill out the frame, his posts made my feel worried until I got my frame and ran cabling myself.  Now I just think either he had a defective frame or he was a bit of an idiot.  Also, if you drill out the holes, who says you won't damage the internal cable liners and cause yourself a problem routing the cable through the frame and getting it to come out the other end.

It's been over a year with nearly 800 miles on my IP-057 and it still shifts the same as the first day I rode my bike.

My recommendation is to save yourself the trouble and route bare cables in the frame with cable end caps on the ends of the cut housings.  Later, if you are having problems, and as a last resort, take a drill to the frame, but until that time go out and have fun on your new bike!
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Tony

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 05:05:24 PM »
I ran the bare cable through the liner that came with the frame and used Jagwire for the rest. Works perfectly with no cable noise during my rides. I read this in the past and wondered why people were drilling it out. You can also tape the Jagwire inner cable liner to the cable liner that came with the frame and push it through. It went through the frame pretty easily.

brmeyer135

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 06:55:14 AM »
The main issue was a different frame back when(LTK023) and can this link has a summary:  http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/how-drill-out-cable-stops-ltk-023-frame-865668.html
I am not sure if anybody has had an issue on the 56/57 - was wondering as I thought there might have one person who went ahead and did it.