Author Topic: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts  (Read 371128 times)

adroitrider

Re: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts
« Reply #1725 on: June 09, 2021, 08:59:06 PM »
Thought I had better check for some of the issues that have been discussed on the forum and sure enough the lower pivot bolt is nearly 82mm - one clean cut with a hacksaw will fix that! Any other 'niggles' I should be looking for?

Did you have the squeaking with this bolt?

carbonazza

« Reply #1726 on: June 10, 2021, 02:50:22 AM »
Thought I had better check for some of the issues that have been discussed on the forum and sure enough the lower pivot bolt is nearly 82mm - one clean cut with a hacksaw will fix that! Any other 'niggles' I should be looking for?

Did anyone reported that issue to Wing already?

Medico

« Reply #1727 on: June 10, 2021, 05:22:57 AM »
Did anyone reported that issue to Wing already?

They even sent me the answer for this problem...

zilcho

« Reply #1728 on: June 10, 2021, 08:32:59 AM »
I think this is bs...lots of us use the 42.5 without any issues!
Same frame is used by several other resellers also with 42.5/110mm travel.

So would go with 42.5. rs deluxe can somethimes be found for nice price.

I agree that using a 42.5 is unlikely the cause of the frame damage some users are experiencing.  However, the only brand I'm aware of that uses a 42.5 and/or claims more than 100mm of rear travel is NS, and they are using their proprietary rear triangle.  There's no need to mislead or make false statements.

victorike

« Reply #1729 on: June 10, 2021, 05:22:38 PM »
In my quest for having two bottles with me for marathon rides.

Anyone tried this kind of mount ?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32975689555.html

It allows to have two bottles side by side.

I carry that with this other piece, so the weight is distributed between the three screws.
€ 11,00  27% dto. | DRIFT MANIAC-soporte de almacenamiento para bicicleta, soporte para botella, adaptador
https://a.aliexpress.com/_uYQH0b

jetpilot

« Reply #1730 on: June 10, 2021, 05:44:40 PM »
Can someone that has experience riding the FM936 talk about the rear suspension a bit?
Is the anti-squat high?
Is an MM tune shock ok for it?

How does it compare to other bikes you have ridden of similar travel?

Thanks!

carbonazza

« Reply #1731 on: June 11, 2021, 03:36:40 AM »
I carry that with this other piece, so the weight is distributed between the three screws.
€ 11,00  27% dto. | DRIFT MANIAC-soporte de almacenamiento para bicicleta, soporte para botella, adaptador
https://a.aliexpress.com/_uYQH0b
Ordered ! This will help, thank you.

I'm ordering all I can right now.
In about 9 days, the packages will arrive after July 1st here in Belgium.
Where all packages will now have VAT applied even for items below 23€.
The end of an era  ???

RobertRinAustin

« Reply #1732 on: June 11, 2021, 10:01:08 PM »
Can someone that has experience riding the FM936 talk about the rear suspension a bit?
Is the anti-squat high?
Thanks!
I moved from an Evil Following MB (120/130) to the 936.  Following was my first FS with modern geo. The 936 has a 42.5 shock which probably has around 115mm of travel with the flex stays with a 120 Sid on the front.

Following is an amazing bike, very lively and poppy and rarely upset. I never had a harsh bottom out, though it occasionally did. It felt like a light weight enduro bike on most everything but the rowdiest of descents, difference was speed compared to actual enduro. Never felt limited by the 120 mm rear. Climbed ok, but nothing special. Front end got light on steeper technical climbs. My GX build large MB weighed about 30 lbs.

I wanted something lighter and a better climber, but still capable on the downs. Was really interested in a Spur, but couldn't find one. Built up a 936 figuring if I don't like it, I'll swap out the frame for a Spur. My large built up to about 25 lbs without going complete weight wennie. The 936 feels much more lively, responsive and of course quicker. Strava time was about 5% quicker on the 936 the first time I rode it, quicker now.

If the Following was a mini enduro, the 936 is a maxi XC, trophy truck to rally car. The suspension isn't up to the DW Delta Link, but I didn't expect it to be. Baby heads are ok, but it doesn't tame the bigger stuff like the Following. On the climbs, it blows away the Following, actually climbing so well I got rid of my old hardtail. Suspension moves a little on climbs, but never feels like it's sucking energy. I've never touched the lockout.

Headed to Colorado next weekend and will run the 936 a little harder on extended descents that I rode the Following on for a better idea of how they compare, but doubt it will change any of the above much. I may even be surprised how well the 936 does.

Got to ride the updated Following with steeper STA and slightly slacker HTA. Bike buddy bought it because he loved riding mine. Definitely climbs better, but still wouldn't swap for the 936. Funny thing is now the same buddy wants to build a 936 to do marathon races on. He's a long retired semi-pro road racer and really likes how efficient my 936 feels FWIW. He's trying to decide between the 936 and 909.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 10:02:49 PM by RobertRinAustin »

jetpilot

« Reply #1733 on: June 11, 2021, 11:15:42 PM »
@RobertRinAustin
Thanks for the details

I too really like the SPUR, would be the bike Id get but I just dont want to spend 5K+ on another bike. I have tons of parts for the build from my many bikes over the year and can build the FM936 for <2K, the wife will be happy.

I have not ridden a SPUR actually but from what I read its the one to get (although that new Scott Spark looks ridiculous), have you ridden one? How does it compare? I am guessing its much more progressive and stiff feeling bike but not much else, geometry is not too far off and could be tweaked with an angle adjusting headset
https://linkagedesign.blogspot.com/2021/03/transition-spur-29-2020.html

KiwiKev

« Reply #1734 on: June 13, 2021, 10:00:16 PM »
Did you have the squeaking with this bolt?
No as I haven't built it yet I thought I would perform any mods or checks that are needed before painting it. So just the pivot bolt I guess? It looks like they have not done anything about this issue and it's up to the purchaser to decide what to do IF it becomes a problem - I would rather fix this now before it becomes an issue.

adroitrider

« Reply #1735 on: June 14, 2021, 07:52:29 AM »
No as I haven't built it yet I thought I would perform any mods or checks that are needed before painting it. So just the pivot bolt I guess? It looks like they have not done anything about this issue and it's up to the purchaser to decide what to do IF it becomes a problem - I would rather fix this now before it becomes an issue.

Your bolt is shorter by 1.5mm and I think you should be good to go. I wouldn’t trim the bolt.

adroitrider

« Reply #1736 on: June 14, 2021, 08:19:02 AM »
Is the anti-squat high?

Thanks!

I’ve always used my single speed to go after the max power smooth climbing segments thinking that the 936 had too much baggage to even come close to a trophy or a PR. I have started to test that theory with out of saddle accelerations and I’ve been surprised with the results. The traction is improved over the SS without a noticeable increase in fatigue. I actually get to the technical braking sections feeling like I have more power for the next acceleration but I am still one second off my PR (1:13). There are other climbing segments that are riddled with baby heads where the 936 floats with out of seat pedaling where the SS has no chance. It’s the technical climbs that have a lot of decelerations where the 936 can’t keep up with the SS.

My last FS bikes were older. I had a Sugar Race (fast XC) and a Titus Racer X. Hard to compare these bikes due to geo differences.

For the MM tune, I think you are good. I believe you want the same tune as the Scott or Giant that has the trunnion in a similar mounting position.

RobertRinAustin

« Reply #1737 on: June 14, 2021, 01:58:23 PM »
@RobertRinAustin
Thanks for the details

I too really like the SPUR, would be the bike Id get but I just dont want to spend 5K+ on another bike. I have tons of parts for the build from my many bikes over the year and can build the FM936 for <2K, the wife will be happy.

I have not ridden a SPUR actually but from what I read its the one to get (although that new Scott Spark looks ridiculous), have you ridden one? How does it compare? I am guessing its much more progressive and stiff feeling bike but not much else, geometry is not too far off and could be tweaked with an angle adjusting headset
https://linkagedesign.blogspot.com/2021/03/transition-spur-29-2020.html
I've not ridden the Spur but might demo one next week when I'm in Colorado. Not sure what I'd do if I feel in love with the Spur.

Hey guys and girls,
Will a 148-180-20-M12-P1.5 axle fit?
Cheers
Not sure if anyone ever answered this, but I just checked my stock axle, 180mm M12*P1.5*L16.5. Yours has a few mm longer thread, but shouldn't be an issue.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 03:02:45 PM by RobertRinAustin »

« Reply #1738 on: June 15, 2021, 03:23:09 AM »
My FM936 build. 10,35 kg without pedals. Pretty light regarding it has a dropper post.

carbonazza

« Reply #1739 on: June 15, 2021, 08:22:24 AM »
My FM936 build. 10,35 kg without pedals. Pretty light regarding it has a dropper post.

It looks awesome !
Not sure the chainstay protector will stay for long, but I like its minimalist design  :D