Author Topic: Needle bearing info  (Read 3308 times)

Andy

Needle bearing info
« on: July 16, 2014, 07:52:35 PM »
CD had asked about the shock eyelet needle bearing kit I used for the rear shock on my IP-036.

They came from BTI in New Mexico(any bike shop can order them).  They are item #AB-9901.

These let your shock pivots rotate on bearings instead of bushings....super smooth. 

By the way spent the last few days on the Ip-036 and could not be happier.  This bike feels just perfect.  Super smooth, super light.  Climbs amazing.  Corners perfectly.  BB height is just right.  Super comfortable.  Extremely nice looking. I am just thrilled with everything about this bike! 

Andy. :)

Sussed.

Re: Needle bearing info
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 02:05:32 AM »
Glad your loving the new ride !

I went with RWC Bearing kit from purely on a recommendation from another forum.

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id275.html

Shock now rotates smoothly on its pivot.  I haven't had a chance to test it out yet  :(  I doubt whether I would notice the real world difference but a bearing is better than a bushing right !?

Sussed.

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 02:18:25 AM »
CD had asked about the shock eyelet needle bearing kit I used for the rear shock on my IP-036.

They came from BTI in New Mexico(any bike shop can order them).  They are item #AB-9901.

These let your shock pivots rotate on bearings instead of bushings....super smooth. 

By the way spent the last few days on the Ip-036 and could not be happier.  This bike feels just perfect.  Super smooth, super light.  Climbs amazing.  Corners perfectly.  BB height is just right.  Super comfortable.  Extremely nice looking. I am just thrilled with everything about this bike! 

Andy. :)

Andy,  The item you listed is the 19mm width.  Is this the one you used ?  The distance between my pivot holes on the IP-036 was approx 22 mm (Measured wildly inaccurately with a metal ruler  ;) ) I went with a 22.2mm bearing which fitted albeit very snugly.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 06:31:13 AM »
To me it's difficult to believe that you would notice a difference adding needle bearings to the shock mount since the shock mounting points do not pivot very much compared to other pivot points in the frame.

Sussed, since you originally had bushings in your shock mounts and changed them out for the needle bearings, please post on the difference you noticed between the two shock mount options.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Andy

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 07:39:23 PM »

Andy,  The item you listed is the 19mm width.  Is this the one you used ?  The distance between my pivot holes on the IP-036 was approx 22 mm (Measured wildly inaccurately with a metal ruler  ;) ) I went with a 22.2mm bearing which fitted albeit very snugly.
[/quote]

Yes this is the one I used and it fit perfectly. 

Sussed.

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 09:17:02 AM »
To me it's difficult to believe that you would notice a difference adding needle bearings to the shock mount since the shock mounting points do not pivot very much compared to other pivot points in the frame.

Sussed, since you originally had bushings in your shock mounts and changed them out for the needle bearings, please post on the difference you noticed between the two shock mount options.

Agreed !  As I said, the real world difference for me is probably nothing.  I haven't had a chance to ride my build yet as I am still waiting on a hub and wheel build so I wouldn't be able to compare the two !  I chucked on the needle bearing as an afterthought while I am waiting around !