Author Topic: Novatech hubs/ spoke length calculators  (Read 5160 times)

Patrick C.

Novatech hubs/ spoke length calculators
« on: July 18, 2014, 04:59:32 PM »
Anyone have the Novatec 711/712 hubs, or would you suggest another set that Iplay uses in their wheels? 
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 12:53:38 PM by Patrick C. »

Patrick C.

Re: Novatech hubs/ spoke length calculators
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 01:08:49 PM »
I guess not  :)

I'm looking at building the iPlay rims with DT Swiss 350 hubs, since they are available with centerlock mounts and are half the price of 240s for about a 2 ounces weight penalty.

Using the DT spoke calculator with an ERD of 597 mm, I get a range of 289 to 291 mm spoke length. Anyone want to double check for me, or does this sound correct?  Should I go with the 291 mm spokes for all of them (easier to buy one box)?  I assume having 2 mm sticking out inside the wheel won't touch anything, but will there be enough threads on the spoke if I use a 291 instead of 289?

Thanks!

Oolak

Re: Novatech hubs/ spoke length calculators
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 02:02:51 PM »
Oh, you building up the rims you won? Sweet. The general forum consensus seems to be the the 350 hubs are far and away the best bang for you buck hubs. Good choice, imo. Sorry, no experience with the Novatechs.

As for your question - I'm not a total wheel building novice having helped a friend of mine build up a set of xt hubs and WTB i23 rims.. and from my limited experience I's assume the same as you. That the 291 length all the way around is the way to go. That said, I'm actually confused about something you said already so perhaps I should keep my opinions to myself.

You asked:  "will there be enough threads on the spoke if I use a 291 instead of 289?"

I actually thought that there were the same amount of threads on spoke, regardless of length.

If that question is painfully ignorant, at least you know to ignore my opinion  :D