Author Topic: Help Iplay Design Carbon Fat Bike Rims...  (Read 15965 times)

kokosthemakovica

Re: Help Iplay Design Carbon Fat Bike Rims...
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2014, 08:52:09 AM »
Peter, please do test these rims before you actually make them available for purchase. dont use us as guinea pigs like other 2 companies that have already their fat rims out.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2014, 11:34:12 AM »
Peter, please do test these rims before you actually make them available for purchase. dont use us as guinea pigs like other 2 companies that have already their fat rims out.

I completely agree with this.

I keep saying that the first one of these Chinese suppliers that really gets there game together is going make a killing. Doing some decent strength and quality testing, and making some high quality videos showing those tests is one of the main components to success imo. What stops people from buying Chinese carbon is they fear the quality and strength is poor, and lesser than what you'd find on a name brand frame or rims. People still have a bit of fear of carbon in general.. so I think buying the name brand is very reassuring to those people. Alleviate that fear and kill the association the Chinese carbon is lesser.. and biz will boom. No better way to market that than producing some product testing videos and send out sample product for public review just like the big names do. I really wish I owned a Chinese carbon manufacturing company... they have the product and the price.. but they don't understand their customer and how to market to them yet.

kokosthemakovica

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2014, 09:50:23 PM »
other big thing with fat carbon rims is tubeless compatibility, that needs to be tested, rather than just stating they are tubeless compatible.

PeterQ

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2014, 09:57:37 PM »
Sure, we do testing for each fame and rim before they are through QC passed.  I will let you guys know the test report for our fat bike rims

Thanks for your attention

Izzy

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2014, 06:34:52 PM »
Well I know the fat bike frames are just around the corner.. What's the status of the fat rims, Peter?

PeterQ

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2014, 01:28:56 AM »
Yes, the RM80C 80mm rim sample will be available next week.

Izzy

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2014, 03:10:10 PM »
Yes, the RM80C 80mm rim sample will be available next week.

Good to hear, Peter. Thanks.

Inertia

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2014, 08:56:37 AM »
A sketch for thought...
being very very new to "all of this" (even interacting/posting)
 I mean not to insult any of ya you (I'm still looking at my ol'iron rides of yester-year:
but tahke a look and dream on...
Necessity is indeed the mother of invention especially
whenone travels from the known to the unknown?

So start with a centerline and put the hub in place and let her fly!

ovr-n-out

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2014, 05:27:17 PM »
I would love to see a new carbon MTB wheel design with no spokes, I have seen some solid disc wheels used in indoor track racing and some road racing teams have used solid wheels on and off.

When I was a kid I had a BMX bike with composite mag wheels, they were really cool, would not go out of true, strong, but heavy.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Chadding

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2014, 05:43:22 PM »
Funny this topic came up.. I was just thinking about how I so badly wanted some mag wheels when I was a kid. I remember them being popular, but now they are basically extinct. You would think carbon fiber manufacturing could change that, no? I guess there's just no way around 26 spokes being lighter than three big composite spokes? What about two composite spokes though.. wonder if carbon is capable of that?

Either way mag wheels just look cool, and I would love to see some type of improved variation of the design.

Inertia

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2014, 08:44:57 AM »
Very interesting comments,
consider: what would the front spokes weigh?
                             V.S.
the carbon mat'l as used in a semi-flat hollowed disk?
                           considering:
       strength factor of one concept as opposed to the other?
Since I haven't used any carbon related stuff like most of you all.
I wonder if you would update me as to real time failure issues?
What is your opinion ref. does/did a rim failure occur because of spoke lace'ng pattern?
Or was the inherent strength of the rim cross section in question?

I ask this because: the few demonstrations of a comparison... aluminum V.S. carbon
only shows a dynamic downward force ( physical push). Note I believe when a wheel is in motion
the real time forces (especially on the front wheel [likely too: applicable to rear wheel set]
has force factors applied from a variety of input angles ...since you are the riders freeze the image in your mind
as to just what is going on at the point of contact upon that very small contact patch collectively?

How about the use of a GOPRO device mounted in such a way to look at in real time the specific area in question?
Then if possible review the digital video in slow to super slow motion whereby 'POSSIBLE'  rim distortion- twisting
etc. might be seen? From such a review there may be established the necessities of design modifications. Even adding a
view of the hub area: is there lateral deflection under load occurring? If so can the spoke act within its capability as a spoke?
What is its purpose as well as what are the limits? especially when/while angular forces are at work especially when a riders weight
is /could be 100% forward or reward fro the matter?

Tires/inflation as well may be considered too.

Once a review of these factors is undertaken the collective notion of current rim-cross sections may be scraped altogether.

Well I'm gonna buz on to worship...
Good luck!
   ? 8) ?
ovr-n-out

Chadding

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2014, 09:17:23 AM »
Interesting post, Inertia. Not sure how much I can add to the conversation but I looked it up and 28 DT Swiss Champion spokes (which are commonly used) would weigh 192.5 grams, or 0.42 pounds.

As for carbon failure rates.. Pretty difficult to say really. I will say that most of the carbon failures seem to be smaller pieces like the bars attached to many carbon saddles. Not sure it works well for the smaller bits like that. That said, I am no expert and have seen no definitive proof either way.

Oolak

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2014, 07:40:48 AM »
Interesting thread. As I was reading through it, I remembered this video that shows some mag wheels kinda like what you guys are talking about, and thought it was worth sharing. They aren't MTB wheels but still pretty darn cool looking. I too would like to see some new type of mag wheels come out if they could offer decent performance/weight.

PeterQ

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2014, 01:58:36 AM »
Here are some videos referring to our 80mm fat bike rims testing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsHlC9hHb5A&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tspu2J5Fxbg&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq1GfHrTuw4&feature=youtu.be

We make each kind of production with testing, frame, rims, forks and other items. Now we are arranging 80mm fat bike rims batch production