Author Topic: TanTan FM08  (Read 20915 times)

supermoto65

TanTan FM08
« on: April 30, 2019, 03:04:19 PM »
Hello,

This will be my first ever build thread.

I ordered the FM08 - http://www.tantancycling.com/index.php?_m=mod_product&_a=view&p_id=681 through @sissypants in a 29 version with standard matte UD finish. I have to thank him for putting up with all my questions ... this was the first time I've ever ordered anything direct from China without going through ebay or amazon.

I will update this thread as progress is made.

Here is the latest tracking update ...

Can't wait to get it here and start the build!

supermoto65

Re: TanTan FM08
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 12:47:26 PM »
Arghhh .. still stuck in customs.

sclyde2

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 08:01:03 PM »
Hi Supermoto, I am intrigued by this frame, but am a bit hesitant to pull the trigger, as the BB might be a bit high.  I am interested to know what shock options fit.

When you get the frame, could you do me a favour, and check the minimum eye to eye between the shock mounts when bottomed out.  I suppose it would bottom out when the rear tyre hits the frame, so this measurement would need the rear tyre installed, but before the shock is installed.  I understand there are 2 shock positions with the flip chip - I'd need to know which position the flip chip was in when the measurement was done.  I'd really appreciate it if you could do this.

supermoto65

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 07:49:18 AM »
Hey sclyde2,

Sure thing! Did you see the specs? It lists 3 shocks 200x50 210x47.5 which both get you 136mm of travel and 210x55 for 152 mm (the option I am building). Also .. your measurement will vary depending on tire size ...

I got the 29 version of the frame but I'm not sure of the difference between that and the 27.5. I wanted 27.5 but I am impatient and they did not have that version in stock. I am going to try my 27.5 wheelset anyway and see if it fits. I have 2.6 WT Minions on it. My 29 wheels have 2.25 Rekons. I will measure with both for you if it helps.

Just checked EMS and wooohooo!

supermoto65

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 02:42:29 PM »
And it begins!

lRaphl

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 08:31:44 AM »
Nice! Keep us posted! :)

sissypants

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 07:33:34 PM »
Hey super stoked to see your build!  Not a lot of folks have put this one together yet and nobody's done a ride analysis, so thanks for posting up!

ChinaCruz

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 10:57:25 PM »
I cannot recall seeing an e-type derailleur mount stuck into a linkage arm like that. It is an interesting frame. I'd like to see some kinematics charts

supermoto65

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 11:04:31 AM »
So unwrapped it last night and had a good look at it. Looks good to me except one area pictured below ...

Any idea if this will affect BB at all?

Here are a couple of quick images of the frame ..

Just about finished the disassembly of the donor bike last night as well.

Tonight I will start the build!

supermoto65

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 09:41:51 AM »
Started the build last night ... ran into a few snags.

Forgot to order 2 rear shock mounting kits .... for some reason I only ordered 1.

Frame issues:

1) When trying to insert my fork ... it was binding for some reason .... well when I took it out and looked down into the head-tube ... this is what I saw ..

Nice.. right? Yeah. The inserts for the internal cable routing have these screws that hold them in ... and they extend right into the head tube. Scratched up my fork stem nicely.

2) Rear triangle cable inserts. Again an issue with the cable routing inserts. The brake side has way too small of a hole in it for a brake line, while the drive side has a much larger hole.

I did put my 27.5 back wheel on it ... did not take pictures of clearance - rim was a 35mm with a Minion DHR II 2.6WT  - looks like you might get a 2.8 on there.

3) My donor bike frame has XT brakes with the adaptor for 180mm rotors. This frame take 180mm without adapter so my caliper bolts are too long.

I will get some pictures tonight.

Question on frame protection ... What is everyone using and what areas of the frame do I need to protect?

I will take some pics tonight.

emu26

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2019, 09:02:03 PM »
Take the screws all the way out, cut them down and I think your problem will be fixed. Make sure you put a nut on the screw before you cut it down, that way once it has been cut you can file down the cut end to clean it up and then remove the nut and that will clean up any burs you have without cross threading the screw.

With the rear, can you swap one side for the other?  I was super impressed with the BXT I got when it came to this, they had three different size entry points so you could swap and change for brake line, gear line with outer and then also just gear cable. It also allowed me to set up right side front brake like we ride down under.

Good luck with it, these little snags will all be worth it once it is finished and dialled in.

supermoto65

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2019, 08:48:46 AM »
Take the screws all the way out, cut them down and I think your problem will be fixed. Make sure you put a nut on the screw before you cut it down, that way once it has been cut you can file down the cut end to clean it up and then remove the nut and that will clean up any burs you have without cross threading the screw.

With the rear, can you swap one side for the other?  I was super impressed with the BXT I got when it came to this, they had three different size entry points so you could swap and change for brake line, gear line with outer and then also just gear cable. It also allowed me to set up right side front brake like we ride down under.

Good luck with it, these little snags will all be worth it once it is finished and dialled in.

Yeah ... thanks ...planned to do all that ... just a bummer that wasn't addressed by them.

supermoto65

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2019, 10:56:34 AM »
Finished the initial build last night.

Overall, I am pleased with the frame construction and quality. I ran into a few snags but nothing major (hoping the BB imperfection doesn't haunt me later). The internal cable inserts were no big deal to drill out ... cut down the long screws that intruded into the head tube without issues. Dropper cable was a little bit of a pain but I got it in ... TIP - route all cables BEFORE installing forks. That makes it much easier to grab the cables as the come into the head tube area.

I would probably have it painted if I ordered it again today ... I did not realize the UD Matte was also a paintjob and thought I would get the frame sooner if I opted out of custom paint. The UD Matte shows everything and there are a few areas that look like mistakes or just look aesthetically bad. The front of the headtube, for instance (see pics). I am designing a vinyl wrap for the bike ... not sure which way I am going with that yet so not a big deal.

Still need to cut down the steerer once I get the cockpit fit nailed down. Also have 165mm crankset to go in place of the 175mm on it now. On the lookout for a nicer dropper with a little more travel.

I hope to hit the trail this evening .. will report back with ride report.

Build Sheet

TanTan FM08 Frame - UD Matte 29'r version
Fork - 2019 Pike 150mm Debonair Charger 2 Boost
Shock - Fox - Factory DPS EVOL (210x55 for 150mm rear travel)
RWC Needle bearing shock bushings on the way .. not yet installed.
Groupset - SRAM Eagle GX
Brakes - Shimano XT 8000 180mm rotors
Wheels - 27.5" Race Face ARC 35 with Bitex hubs built by SpeedGearBike
Minion DHF and DHRII 2.6 WT
Spoon bars and 35mm stem
ODI Troy Lee lock on grips
Dropper - KS Eten 100mm with Wolftooth lever
Seatpost Clamp - Amazon blue anodized no name
WTB seat

I took most components off my 2019 Motobecane HAL Eagle Boost.
I got the Fox shock on Pros Closet for $149 shipped .. it's a 2017 Yeti takeoff.
SpeedGearBike built the wheels and I had them on my MB HAL for a couple of months ... very happy with them but I may have a 29 set built as well.

Shock all mounted. Was a little tricky holding the flip chip parts while getting the shock in place.

Fitting the Fork and bars

Eagle GX

Had to adapt a few parts to get the BB in .. the press I bought would not clear the inner bearing race so I had to improvise. Got it in without issue though. Plenty of grease applied so let's hope no creaking.

Crank is in.

32 Chainring fits easily.

Those are some nice blue fookers ... lol (Fooker Pedals on Amazon)

These pics are from a couple of nights ago ... I will post some pics of the completely finished bike later.

I'd be happy to answer any questions about the build or if there are any measurements you need or want ...

sclyde2

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2019, 08:24:45 PM »

I'd be happy to answer any questions about the build or if there are any measurements you need or want ...

Hey Supermoto,
Yeah, I am interested in a few measurements:
BB height - floor to middle of BB spindle
Eye to eye at bottom out - distance between middle of shock mounts when the tyre contacts the frame.  Would need the shock off for this.
If you could do these measurements with your 29 wheels and tyres if would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

supermoto65

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2019, 07:57:23 AM »

Hey Supermoto,
Yeah, I am interested in a few measurements:
BB height - floor to middle of BB spindle
Eye to eye at bottom out - distance between middle of shock mounts when the tyre contacts the frame.  Would need the shock off for this.
If you could do these measurements with your 29 wheels and tyres if would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

Darnit .. I just saw this and last night I had the shock off to install RWC needle bearings in the mounts. I did not get those measurements. I did measure the BB height from ground to bottom of BB and it was at 12" with my 27.5 2.6 Minions if that helps.