Author Topic: TanTan FM08  (Read 20912 times)

sclyde2

Re: TanTan FM08
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2019, 12:27:54 AM »
Thanks.

Wow, only 305mm?  Geez that's low  I realise that is with 27.5 wheels though.  Could you please measure the height of your wheels (from floor to the top edge of the tyre).  I.e. the outside/rolling diameter of your tyres.  Then I suppose I can confirm the BB drop (I think it was around 25mm with a 560mm a-c fork), and estimate BB height on some 29er wheels

Have you ridden it yet?  If so, what length cranks?  It is pretty low?

supermoto65

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2019, 09:40:26 AM »
A few updates:

Wheels ... had some 29's built and the should be here on Monday. The pedal strikes were happening too often for me. Even with the 165mm cranks ... I noticed on a recent ride while following someone that they were pedaling in a lot of places that I couldn't or didn't because of the possibility of a pedal strike.

BB ... it's creaking badly. I noticed on my first, longer ride that my crankset came loose ... this was after about 9 miles. A few rides after getting it tightened back it started creaking. I wasn't sure where it was coming from so I torqued and greased all the pivot points, checked rear axle tightness but still had the creak. Pretty sure it is coming from the BB. I hate press fit BB's. Reading up on it I see where some say to use carbon paste instead of grease on aluminum BB cups like I have.

Got a great deal on a remaining 2018 Hope Tech 3 V4 front brake in blue .. so grabbed that and got a E4 for the back. Using the Shimano rotors for now but plan on replacing them with Hope rotors.

Started the wrap on the bike this week. I chose Avery Roaring Thunder Gloss color flip. I really like the blue/red/gold flip on this and the Avery color films are much easier to work with compared to 3m. I don't plan on wrapping the entire frame but haven't decided on an exact design yet ...

Hopefully finish the wrap this weekend and get some pics with the new wheels next week.

emu26

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2019, 08:53:53 PM »
Wow, doing a great job on that wrap, looks awesome.

Did you see sclyde2's post above?  Can you confirm outer diameter of your current 27.5' wheels with rubber please?  I think it's these really low bb heights we get with this new "long low slack" designs that are holding a lot of buyers back.

supermoto65

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2019, 03:35:44 PM »
Tire is about 28.25" top to bottom.

Update on creaking ... It was the rear axle/ cassette and NOT the BB. I went ahead and remove the wheel and re-greased the cassette/hub/bearings and axle. Then I cleaned all the mating surfaces on the frame to hub connections, and reinstalled making sure everything was torqued down properly ..... quiet as a kitten now!

emu26

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2019, 09:39:26 PM »
Thanks mate, glad to hear you got the creaking sorted out as well.

supermoto65

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2019, 02:59:25 PM »
Some pictures from last weekend ..

The color flip doesn't show as well in these photos but it goes from a deep blue to purple to red then gold ...

Bike gets lots of compliments on the trails and I might have sold a couple more frames for TanTan ...

emu26

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2019, 03:42:41 AM »
Sorry to keep bugging you, at the bottom of page 1 you measured BB height to the bottom of the BB, can you measure it to the centre of the BB?  Most BB heights are quoted to the centre and that makes it easier for us to compare to other frames, or bikes we have.  Thanks.

Oh and please make sure you have a velcro strap around that pump, my best mate was killed many years ago when his pump dislodged from his road bike, jammed and somehow sent him head first into a tree.

GreyCactus

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2019, 04:15:25 PM »
Nice build, sweet paintjob! Thanks for the thread!  ;D
How do you feel the bike? Any issues?

supermoto65

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2019, 08:21:22 AM »
Sorry to keep bugging you, at the bottom of page 1 you measured BB height to the bottom of the BB, can you measure it to the centre of the BB?  Most BB heights are quoted to the centre and that makes it easier for us to compare to other frames, or bikes we have.  Thanks.

Oh and please make sure you have a velcro strap around that pump, my best mate was killed many years ago when his pump dislodged from his road bike, jammed and somehow sent him head first into a tree.

I just put a set of 29's on it ... I will measure it again for you tonight.