Author Topic: New Bike Rack - My Review  (Read 3197 times)

Carbon_Dude

New Bike Rack - My Review
« on: May 02, 2019, 09:20:40 PM »
I had a Saris Superclamp EX 2-Bike rack and while it was good, and served me well for about 4 or 5 years, I decided to sell it and purchase a 1-UP USA Quickrack Single + 1-Bike Add-on.  Several of my friends had purchased the 1-UP and really liked them so I decided to join the club.

Overall, this rack has got to be one of the best currently available on the market.  Here is why:
  • Since 95% of the time I am only carrying one bike, I can just use the Quickrack single without the +1 bike add-on.
  • The quality of the rack is very good, no plastic parts means nothing to crack or age over time.
  • The rack is designed such that as you add more bikes, each successive bike mounts a few inches higher than the previous, kind of like stadium seating, this allows the bars to clear each other.
  • Adding or removing the +1 Add-on is very simple, just two bolts that you loosen slightly attach the add-on and tighten the bolts, takes only a few minutes.
  • In the single bike configuration, it's lighter than my Saris rack was, and only a few pounds heavier in the 2-bike configuration.  I take my rack on and off my car each time I use it so I like that the single config is relatively light weight.
  • The 1-up rack is similar to the Saris in how it holds the bike, grabbing each tire and not touching the frame, no ratcheting straps to deal with either.
  • Out of the box it supports tires up to 3" wide, and virtually any wheel size.  It will also accommodate Fat Bikes with a simple conversion kit.
  • Cost is comparable to the Saris Superlcamp 2-bike rack but is much better quality.  The 1-up is all aluminum construction, whereas the Saris is black painted steel and plastic.
  • There is zero wobble on the 1-up, my Saris would rock back and fourth and creak at the hinge point (tilt mechanism) while driving down the road.  The 1-up is solid, it's doesn't creak, and it doesn't move at all, even with two bikes attached.
  • The 1-UP even works with Chiner bikes!

With all the great things I have to say about the rack, it's not without a few faults:
  • The ratchet design could be better, if you pull up too much on the lever, it can bind.
  • The release for the tilt mechanism could be design better, it can also bind slightly.
  • The 1-UP doesn't have a provision for built in cable locks, if you need to lock the bike, you'll need to bring your own bike lock

To go with the review, here is a pick that I need to resize:
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 09:38:21 PM by Carbon_Dude »

2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

bxcc

Re: New Bike Rack - My Review
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 02:11:56 PM »
Nice write up. Those are my thoughts exactly on the rack. When I pull up on the release lever, I put my fingers on the toothed slide bar and that prevents me from lifting to high on the lever. Love the rack though. So much that I sold all of my other racks and have a 2" single, a 2" double, and two add-ons. That suits me for all occasions.