Author Topic: Light Carbon FS713 build planning  (Read 44545 times)

FlyingDodo

Re: Light Carbon FS713 build planning
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2019, 10:02:06 AM »
Yes, assuming the geo stats are correct, they are almost identical: https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/tantan-fm08-2018-large,light-carbon-fs713-2019-19-5/

The wheels habe arrived today. So far they look very clean. I've already installed the casette and brake disks but need to change the China valves. Currently planning for Milkit ones.

FlyingDodo

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2019, 02:45:21 PM »
Ok short update, yesterday the wheels have arrived and today the frame. Of course i immediately had to Start the building process but first things first. So far the frame looked very clean and the paint Job was nicely done. Not absolutely perfect but definitely a good value for the price.

Mounting the rear shock was quite a hazzle as the front facing spacer only fitted with quite a lot of presure. But in the end it worked out.

The depressing part was when i tried to mount the fork. The bearings from the headset didnt fit. So i checked again the measurements and yes they were too small. I then quickly ran to the next bike Shop but they also couldnt help because it's unclear if a semi integrated headset is required. The Homepage from LightCarbon really lacks of details so I wrote John an email. Let's see with what he comes back.

Attached to pics...
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 02:50:30 PM by FlyingDodo »

sclyde2

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2019, 06:21:41 PM »
I noticed that the frame's website says it needs a 44mm top and 56mm headset, which is different to the usual 42/52 that these Chinese frames use.  On cane creek's website I cannot see any integrated (IS) headsets in that 44/56 size, but that size is available in the zero stack (ZS, aka semi integrated) configuration. Does your frame have cups built into it?  I'm guessing not.  While heavier, a ZS setup would probably be better for a longer travel frame.  The downside is that a ZS headset needs headset tools to press it in (tools I don't have).

What size shock are you running?  Your spec sheet says 210x57, a size that doesn't exist.  Is it 210x55 or 200x57?  You appear to have mounted the shock in the position for a 210mm shock.  Whatever setup you have, I am very interested in the BB height of your bike (height of the centre of your BB spindle).

Careful clamping your frame like that - you probably shouldn't do that.  You are much better off clamping the post - just make sure you clean the jaws before clamping then thin tube on the dropper post.

FlyingDodo

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2019, 01:09:05 PM »
The shock I bought used but in very good condition from an user of this forum. It used to be a  216x63 shock which is now limited to 210x57.

Can anybody say based on the two pics what kind of headset would fit? I also measured diameters etc. within the attached sketch. In addition I wrote the user supermoto which has the Tan Tan FM08 a message to clarify what headset he has used. This frame is  more or less identical.

Regarding the height of the BB. I temporarly mounted the fork to be able to shorted the cable lenght. Without pumped wheels the height is 340mm.

Edit:

While doing some further research I came across a picture of the FM08 frame which seems to have integrated headset cups (all pics to be found here: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Full-Suspension-Mountain-Bike-Frame-toray_62127691819.html?spm=a2700.icbuShop.41413.21.4c231247aGiTAb). Relevant one is atttached.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 01:17:57 PM by FlyingDodo »

chetosmachine

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2019, 05:11:50 AM »
Some valuable info to identify headsets:
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/standardized-headset-identification-system

I would say you need something like this one:
https://www.bikester.ch/sixpack-sxr-2in1-headset-zs44286-i-zs5630-and-zs44286-i-zs5640-red-713179.html

But you can always check with manufacturer and other users of the frame!

sclyde2

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2019, 05:26:59 AM »
Is that diagram with measurements yours?  If not,. can you do the measurements on your frame.

If it was zs44/zs56, the bore depth (before it tapers in) should be closer to 12.5mm, rather than 8-9mm.  I don't have any ZS headsets to measure (the one I have is pressed into a frame), but if I were you I'd try to find a shop that has one and measure the depth of it.

You should also (re)measure the lower ID.  For a zs56, it should be around 55.9, not 55.5.

As for the possibility of it being IS44/IS56, I just can't see any headsets in that size.

I'm perplexed.

Hopefully the other owner sheds some light on this

FlyingDodo

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2019, 12:47:19 AM »
In the meantime I'm pretty sure a FSA No. 57 is required (LightCarbon even has this Information hidden in the geometry table on the webpage) but the sales guy keeps recommending a Chris King Headset with flat bottom insert surfaces (although the frame has angles of i think 45 degrees). To me this pretty much looks like they dont know what they are selling.
I now have sent them the official FSA product catalogue, asking which of the about 10 different No. 57 versions is the correct one.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 12:49:22 AM by FlyingDodo »

sclyde2

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2019, 10:47:35 PM »
Yeah, the FSA 57 is consistent with the one used in the Rocky mountain instinct (a 57E), which is what this frame appears to be a close copy of.

A quick google shows these 3 headsets:
https://shop.fullspeedahead.com/en/no-57e-3425

If you have a tapered steerer on your fork, you can't use the 57E-1.  Either of the other two should work, depending on what stack height you want.  I personally go for the lowest stack height usually, as it give more flexibility to lower the stem further.

To be sure, you could measure your frame's headtube.  The pdf on that page has headset measurements for those FSA headsets.  The cup heights, including the lip, are 12mm top and 11.5mm bottom.  the lips are 2mm, so the headsets will go 10/9.5mm into your headtube.  However, if you look at the diagram, that 10/9.5 includes the taper on the headset, which looks to be about 3mm for the top headset cup, and about 1mm for the lower headset cup (if you compare the thickness of taper with other measurements in the diagram).  Therefore, to fit this headset in your frame, you need about 7mm (10minus3) of depth in the top headtube before it tapers in, and about 8.5mm for the bottom   Does your frame have these measurements (or greater)?  The headset could probably still work with slightly less, but it wouldn't press completely all the way in, so it wouldn't be ideal.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 01:15:14 AM by sclyde2 »

FlyingDodo

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2019, 12:39:11 AM »
Many thanks for confirming my thoughts. I went with the FSA No. 57E at the end. So far everything went well with the Installation. I just noticed that I have the wrong brake adapter in the front. A second thing is that the spacers for the bumper are too tight. I already thoughtnso when I installed the bumper. Yesterday after some minutes on the road the frame started to make ugly noises and they definitely could be tracked back to the front mount of the bumper.

Else just need to bleed the brakes (one last time hopefully). Will make some pictures later today.

Edit: I measured again the height of the BB with the wheels fully pumped. I measured 365mm.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 12:50:05 AM by FlyingDodo »

sclyde2

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2019, 06:55:08 AM »
365mm?  To the middle of the BB spindle?  Geez that is high.  I was thinking it'd be around 345mm.  Is that with a 150 or 160mm fork?  With a 2.3" rear and 2.5" front tyre?  Did you measure the eye to eye of the shock to confirm it was 210mm?

I am aiming for a BB height around 340mm, with similar 29er wheels/tyres, but with slightly less travel - around 140mm F&R.  I was considering doing what was done with your shock i.e. shortening up a McLeod (but starting with a shorter shock).  But if the BB is that high, I might be able to get to the height I want by just getting a 200x50 shock and putting the flip chip in the 'low' setting (i.e. the position meant for 210 shocks, where you have it).

ChinaCruz

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2019, 08:57:37 AM »
To me this pretty much looks like they dont know what they are selling.

Just smile and wave, bro. This is all part of the exciting experience of riding chiner frames! The seller for my M06 published the wrong atc, no shock mounting info, and no geo chart for anything other than the 19". It is laughable how clueless they are. And we ride these things? We must be insane.

FlyingDodo

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2019, 12:01:58 AM »
365mm?  To the middle of the BB spindle?  Geez that is high.  I was thinking it'd be around 345mm.  Is that with a 150 or 160mm fork?  With a 2.3" rear and 2.5" front tyre?  Did you measure the eye to eye of the shock to confirm it was 210mm?

365 to the middle of the pindle and 2.35 / 2.5 tires. Eye to eye should be 210 but will measure again to be sure. Currently there is a 170mm fork sitting in the front, which I Plan to reduce 150 but first wanted to give the 170 a go.

IT is in fact really high, I barely cant mount the bike with the dropper post fully extended.

FlyingDodo

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2019, 01:18:53 PM »
Brought the bike to a local bike shop on Tuesday to let it have checked. Everything was ok, so I took it to the local trail today.

The ride was very smooth but still have to get used to it as I was riding a 26er before. This one feels completely different, rough terrain is much less an issue. Curves feel very much different.

FlyingDodo

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2019, 01:19:27 PM »
Some more impressions

chetosmachine

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2019, 04:21:41 AM »
Very nice!