Author Topic: IP-256 SL - Shocks  (Read 3154 times)

WorkingHPRs

IP-256 SL - Shocks
« on: August 18, 2014, 02:15:57 PM »
Thanks for all the advice so far.

Settled on most things now but the last decision that needs to be made is the fork.

I am looking at this bike being a XC race bike (for 24 hour team events) and I weigh 90kg (about 200lb)

What sort of travel do I need on a front fork, I am thinking 100mm should be fine for the sort of events I will be doing but is there any down side to going to 120mm? Fork choice is looking like either RS Sid XX World Cup or Magura TS8R with 15mm axel. Open to suggestions, bit worried that the SIDs will be a bit floppy with my bulk up top!

325racer

Re: IP-256 SL - Shocks
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 03:38:30 PM »
Im going full rigid to start, but I was looking at Fox Float.  Its not as light, but by all reports its a better and stronger fork.

Now if you have $2Gs you can go with the new Rock Shox inverted thing.  Saw one at a race recently, its SEXY!!!!  But oh so damn expensive.

Vipassana

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 04:11:58 PM »
I don't know if I have much to offer except anecdotal evidence. 

I am 160-165 lbs.  On mu IP-256SL, I have a 2014 RockShox SID XX G2 w/ remote lockout and 15mm thru-axle.  Non-world cup.  On my 2011 Giant Anthem X, I have a 2011 Fox F29 with the 15mm Thru-axle.  I can feel no stiffness differences between the two of them.  If anything, the Fox feels like it has a bit more play (despite a rebuilt about 150 miles ago), but it's also MUCH older and more used. 

Both handle well enough for most all of the XC riding I do, even at speed.  I wouldn't worry about the stiffness of the SID too much, though you are a bit heavier than I.

That said, I fell that the Fox is much more plush and tuneable than the SID.  But I've only had the SID for a month and an still working on dialing it in.  So far, I'm happy with it and with the lockout, but it isn't as plus as the Fox, plain and simple.

For the price I paid (a bit under $600 shipped for the SID BNIB), I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.  At the time all of the FOX forks I was looking at with remote lockout were $800+

I am really curious to try a Magura unit as I see them gaining popularity quickly.

RS VR6

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 12:01:02 AM »
Most of the bikes are designed around a 100mm fork.

Only downside...maybe would be throwing off the geometry slightly. It could make a tall 29er front end even taller, slightly raise the bottom bracket, shorten the reach a bit. The other possible thing is that the 120mm fork may put some undue stress onto the headtube area...possible. Some bike companies will void your warranty if you run a 120mm fork on a frame that was designed around a 100mm.

I've seen guys run 120mm forks with no issues...YMMV.

brmeyer135

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 11:48:07 AM »
You tell us - 24 hour team event - are those mostly roads, fire roads, groomed paths?
If so, go with a rigid...that would be extremely light...which, I think, was high on your list.
If you need a little travel, LAUF makes a fork that was discussed somewhere in Chinertown...60mm travel and light.