Author Topic: XM Carbonspeed FS27 - How much is too much?  (Read 4548 times)

GuitsBoy

XM Carbonspeed FS27 - How much is too much?
« on: June 13, 2019, 04:14:23 PM »
I've had my FS27 for nearly two years and its been great to me so far.   Its currently running 140/100 with manitou magnum pro up front and mcleod rear, and 2.8 nobby nics on i45 carbon hoops.  Its a fantastic trail bike and I feel pretty confident over roots, rocks, mild jumps and maybe 2-3 ft drops to flat.  But how much is asking too much for this frame?   Can this handle greens and blues at the local bike park?   I'm not looking to get rowdy.   I'd feel more confident on a bike I'm comfortable and used to compared to renting a downhill sled.  At 225 lbs, I hit the ground hard should the frame fail.  Any advice?  Stick to riding paved bike paths?

emu26

Re: XM Carbonspeed FS27 - How much is too much?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 11:34:48 PM »
sorry Guitsboy I can't answer that but could you please tell me what your bb height is from ground to centre?  Thanks

GuitsBoy

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 05:54:44 AM »
Sure.  My BB height is exactly 12.5 inches to the center of the BB bolt, unsagged.  When riding with 25% sag, I'd estimate it to be somewhere around 11.3".  There are pedal strikes, but no where near as many as some other frames.

emu26

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 01:20:06 AM »
Thanks mate, I appreciate the info. Sorry no-one has been able to help with your original question.

supermoto65

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 03:02:02 PM »
I'm gonna say no to the blues but that depends on your parks ... I think 100 rear is too short. Most parks around here (North Carolina, USA) say 150mm minimum.

GuitsBoy

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 01:46:51 PM »
I'm gonna say no to the blues but that depends on your parks ... I think 100 rear is too short. Most parks around here (North Carolina, USA) say 150mm minimum.
Thanks for the input.  Ive not been to the park yet, but their website says 5-6 inches recommended.  Hardtails are not recommended, but acceptable.  If its a matter of comfort and fatigue, I'd be willing to try and muscle through it.  But if its a matter of the frame splintering into carbon toothpicks, obviously Ill rent.