Author Topic: Pics and geometries of Xmiplay's new fat bike frames.. The IP-010 and IP-018  (Read 20075 times)

Izzy

Good to hear.. Thanks for the update, Peter!

kokosthemakovica

any ideas on max tire clearances front/rear? also, is there a clearance for bluto fork at bottomtube/headtube? looks like the fork shown on cad image shows suspension fork.

Izzy

Hey kokos..

I like the idea of fat bikes but am fairly unfamiliar with them? What kind of weight could one expect to get a full carbon (frame and rims) fat bike?

Also, what about the tyres? Aren't they insanely heavy? Are companies making good progress in innovating and providing lighter tyres with tread patterns optimized for fat bike tyres and not just ported over from the smaller version of the tyre?

kokosthemakovica

izzy, weight depends on build. from what i know, stock specialized fat boy is 30 pounds, people were able to reduce to 28 switching some components. this is for aluminum frame and wheels bike. so i believe with carbon you can go further below 28 lbs. which is nice. tires will matter a lot in terms of weight savings. if you going to go full fat tires 4.7" (surly bud/lou) expect havier bike. fat tires are not ported from skinnier tires, they are specifically designed as fat tires. more and more brands releasing their fat tires.

PeterQ

I asked the factory to make the thru axle samples for the IP-010 frame , IP-018 fat carbon frame and FK-018 carbon fat bike fork.

As soon as the frame and forks are available, I will have them to be tested, and then I will ask the factory to make the axles in black color. The IP-010 in 17'' and IP-018 in 18'' will be available in 20 days

These axles are made in same factory as the axles for 100x15 mountain bicycle fork and 142x12 thru axle frames, they are light and stiff

Izzy

Awesome, Peter! Thanks for keeping us updated. I know there are at least a few pf us that are considering going the way of the fat chiner.

Carbon_Dude

Yes, thanks for the update Peter.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

PeterQ

IP-018 and FK-018 frameset is available now:

http://www.xmiplay.com/ProductDetails1682

Carbon_Dude

Very nice Peter, a fat bike would be nice to build, however since I just built a bike this year I need to wait a while before building another.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

PeterQ

IP-010 and FK-018 frameset available for now: size 19'' will be available in 35 days.
http://www.xmiplay.com/ProductDetails1685

Izzy

That's what I've been wanting. 19" IP-010.

I gotta say, looks like you guys did a great job on this frame, Peter! These frames are looking more and more refined with each new production it seems. Good job. The lines on the frame, the angles around the head tube, and on the top tube, and the way the top tube curves, make for an awesome looking frame and bike! Can't wait!

Time to go check the fat bike rim thread again..

« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 06:45:14 AM by Izzy »

cuora

Will these be an additional size (up or down) from the current sizes?

Izzy

Hey cuora,

Maybe it's early or I'm just slow but I don't quite understand the question? You mean will the 19 inch in actuality be a bigger frame than say a 19 inch 057 frame for example? Or are you asking if there are going to be more sizes available in these frames soon?

Answer to the forst one is no, and the answer to the second one is yes. I probably still didn't answer your question but I tried lol.

kokosthemakovica

izzy, this frame has been available for purchase from other Chinese web stores for a while. it is basically a knock off of fatback corvus frame. i have one on order from speedercycling.

Izzy

Ah ok, thanks kokos. You're right it's a pretty much exact copy. Not that that's a bad thing. Will check out the reviews for the corvus frame then. I can't tell if this pic is a digital image or an actual pic of the frame, something looks different about it. Either way, the Corvus is the obvious inspiration here. Let me rephrase then, this looks like a high quality replica. I'm glad the chiners are looking more like the high end originals. Now if the full suspension frames would just do the same (pivots, bearings, joints, etc)

Be sure to post up pics of the build and frame when you get it if you don't mind. Very interested in seeing it.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 11:36:46 PM by Izzy »