Author Topic: Pics and geometries of Xmiplay's new fat bike frames.. The IP-010 and IP-018  (Read 20082 times)

kokosthemakovica

yeah, not exact copy, as you say, more of an inspiration. will post when mine arrives.

Joelk

Re: Pics and geometries of Xmiplay's new fat bike frames.. The IP-010 and IP-018
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2014, 10:26:45 PM »
I hope they eventually come out with the IP-010 in a 21".

I have a Borealis Yampa that I like, but I keep having trouble with the QR rear hub shifting and causing the tire to rub the left chainstay.  I would like to try the IP-010 so I could move to a through axle rear at a reasonable price (I could probably sell the Borealis frame and cover the cost).

Akchugacher

Re: Pics and geometries of Xmiplay's new fat bike frames.. The IP-010 and IP-018
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2014, 10:20:41 AM »
Wanting to pick up a fat frame but have 2 issues/concerns with the Chinese frames.
1. All the major US carbon frames (Corvus, 907, borealis) do a 197 rear with 100mm bottom bracket.  but all the 197mm rear Chinese frames do a 120mm bottom bracket.  It makes sense for proper chain alignment yet US companies are not doing the 120mm bottom bracket.  Does anyone notice poor chain alignment on their US frames?  maybe 1x drives fix that issue?  The 120mm BB limits the available cranksets and makes you pedal like a bowlegged cowboy, lending itself to potential injuries if putting in lots of miles.  The 190mm rear does have a 100mm but that brings me to the second issue
2. this has been mentioned but not sufficiently answered in my mind.  a 190mm rear that has a through axle?  Are there many hubs available to build off this sort of wheel? 
Thanks in advance for the help

kokosthemakovica

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2014, 02:55:54 PM »
1)not all of them do. in fact i am only aware of 1 that has 120mm bb. rest of the chinese fatties,i think there are 3 of them, have 100 mm bb.
2)hub manufacturers offer caps for 190 spacing too. sarma and jade have cups for 190mm, hope can be easily converted. cheap hubs from china all come with 190mm compatible caps. no problem here at all

Joelk

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2014, 08:12:09 PM »
One nice thing about the 100mm bottom bracket is that it allows me to use the Raceface Next SL crank for a 170 hub on my 190 hub bike with the 1x direct mount chainring flipped for good chain alignment with a lower Q factor.

Akchugacher

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2014, 10:26:23 PM »
thanks guys for answering the 190mm rear through axle q... One more...
help me narrow the search.  What company is making a 197mm rear with a 100mm bottom bracket.  Preferably a company that is building wheels too (unless you guys want me posting a million q's on how to build wheels ;))

turboenterprise

What's the latest here? I read that they redid the design of one or both of the frames.   What is everyone preferring? Bump to the question above.  Wheels seem to be tricky.