Author Topic: Beginner 29er hardtail build advice...and in the end sucessfull build (I hope)  (Read 9076 times)

Mike B.

Greetings from the UK!

Hopefully I'll manage to pull this off I'm a complete beginner when it comes to building bikes.
The bike will be used more for fitness cross country no competitions or anthing extreme (or even close to extreme sports).

Long story short the plan is to build myself a 29er hardtail on a chinese carbon frame, I'm at the point where I'm still researching and trying to learn I've only bought the fork and the wheels so far.

The fork I gor is RockShox Recon RL Forks BOOST 29"/27.5" 130mm https://www.wiggle.co.uk/rockshox-recon-rl-forks-boost/

And the wheels I bought of amazon WTB STP i25 Mountain Bike Bicycle Novatec Hubs & Tires Wheelset 11s 29
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075KHFHF4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm looking at the frame next(when the next paycheck comes in about 5 days) and the plan is to run it on a 1xSRAM NX Eagle DUB 12sp Groupset (unless I can find something cheaper in 1x maybe a SunRace?)

I honestly don't really know what I'm doing and hope to not make some errors with parts compatibility.

In regards to the frame I'm thinking one of these two below (unless everyone has better suggestions)?

1.https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32499899961.html?storeId=1942488&spm=2114.12010612.8148356.1.4cff7019OTL2Cz
2.https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32707208629.html?storeId=1942488&spm=2114.12010612.8148356.3.4cff7019OTL2Cz

Thank you! any tips and ideas suggestions more than welcome!

acedeuce802

Just on a quick glance, the forks are boost thru axle, and the wheels are QR.  I know you can get thru axle conversion kits for Novatec hubs, but not sure if it can be converted to boost.

Mike B.

Thank you! Not a great start then  :(, I need to look into it, if not return either the fork or the wheels !? I'm thinking the wheels as I dont think I will be able to find a better fork for £89 which is what I paid for that one?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 02:52:55 PM by Mike B. »

emu26

Welcome Mike.

As a complete beginner the best advice I can give you is if you are not sure, ask. 10 years ago it was a lot easier to do what you are now doing because standards where standards, now a new standard seems to come out ever 6 months so compatibility is becoming an issue.

On the frames, I built my son a carbon 27.5 hardtail around a BXT frame and am happy with it and would buy from them again.  I also bought through aliexpress from the "BXT Official Store".  I can't comment on either of those frames though as I haven't seen them. 

How much are you looking at spending on the groupset?  When I built my boys bike the cheapest "quality" stuff I could find was from Human Oriented on ebay, granted it was 11 speed, not 12 speed but have a look because he might have 12 speed stuff comparably priced.  I was happy enough with his service that I went to buy a second set to convert my bike but the price had jumped $40Aus, I contacted him and he sold a second set at the old price but we dealt outside of ebay for that.  https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Shimano-XT-M8000-Group-set-4pcs-Rear-Derailleur-Shifter-Chain-Sunrace-CSMX8-46T/173627709794?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649  If you do go 12 speed you need to be careful what wheels you get because SRAM drivetrains require specific hub carriers and most wheels that are 9 speed compatible will also take 9, 10 or 11 speed shimano cassettes but I am not sure if they will take 12 speed. Someone else here might be able to answer that, if not google should be able to provide you with the answer.

Hope that helps a little and as I said, feel free to ask as much as you need to.

Mike B.

Thank you!

I am a bit stuck now because the wheels are not compatible with the fork I got, so I basically have 3 options:
1.sell/return the fork (I do not think I can get a better fork in the UK for £89 what I paid for this one).
2.Sell/return the wheelset (I deffinetly cannot get a better deal as I paid £69 for the full set front/ back tyres included).
3.Just buy a new boost front wheel move the tyre on it and sell the QR wheel (I think this is the best option economically speaking).

If I'll keep the wheelset then I guess I will have to go with a Shimano 1 x 11? as they would not be compatible with the SRAM 12 speed? A Shimano SLX M7000 1 x 11 is about the same price as a SRAM NX Eagle DUB 12sp Groupset here in the UK, I'm not that fussed about 1x11 or 1x12 I don't think it's going to make a difference for me.

Thank you for your help so far... :)

Edit: I'm assuming this wheel will be compatible with the fork?
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-mt500-boost-front-wheel/rp-prod180498?gs=1&sku=sku694477&pgrid=60711842858&ptaid=pla-418683270193&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PLA+All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid|sylLjOFKW_dc|pcrid|309840163148|pkw||pmt||prd|694477UK&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIg-iC1ru64wIVQbTtCh1yQguSEAQYASABEgJjTPD_BwE
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 05:22:38 PM by Mike B. »

emu26

Yes and no. Yes it is boost compatible and will be compatible with the fork.

No because it is centre lock and the rear wheel is 6 bolt. This refers to how the rotor (disc) part of the brake system connects to the wheel. It will work it just means when you buy your brakes you will need one centre lock rotor and one 6 bolt rotor. Centre lock is a shimano "standard". This is not a big deal but something to be wary of. Personally, I don't like centre lock, no particular reason, purely a personal preference thing.

One more thing, how heavy are you?  I ask because that is only a 24 spoke wheel, big blokes should generally stay away from 24 spoke counts.

Don't be afraid of buying from over seas or from aliexpress, you'll find better pricing than wiggle or crc. If you really want to stay local try Merlin Cycles as well, I have found they are often very competitive on pricing with crc.

Hope that helps.

acedeuce802

If I'll keep the wheelset then I guess I will have to go with a Shimano 1 x 11? as they would not be compatible with the SRAM 12 speed? A Shimano SLX M7000 1 x 11 is about the same price as a SRAM NX Eagle DUB 12sp Groupset here in the UK, I'm not that fussed about 1x11 or 1x12 I don't think it's going to make a difference for me.
NX uses the standard shimano hub, even the 12 speed.  Only GX and above use the Sram XD driver.

Mike B.

Ok the wheels were returned, I amost gave up after making some calculations, but I'll persevere with the build:

I'll keep the forks, I'm about to order the frame. (this will have to be boost compatible)

Where where will the compatibility issues arrise? I now know I need boost wheelset , will the wheelset dictate what kind of groupset I can use ? The same for brakes ? I am set on a 1x drivetrain I'm trying to find the cheapest option.

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Mike B.

In terms of wheelset I think this is the best deal new I can find with tyres brakes and a SRAM 12x casette included:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/29-switchride-mtb-wheels-12-id_8518612.html?iv_=__iv_p_1_g_65718921111_c_316416580067_w_pla-329717981462_n_g_d_c_v__l__t__r_1o1x_pla_y_15177021_f_online_o_2610759_z_GB_i_en_j_329717981462_s__e__h_9045958_ii__vi__&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsuzw18nI4wIVybHtCh24BwqcEAQYASABEgLayfD_BwE

Could I get some help in terms of compatible parts for this wheelset: A compatible chainset, brakes and a rear derailleur + chain? and shift lever?

carbonazza

Did you see a frame you like already?
Try to find one in this forum, hopefully a build component list will be available and make the process much easier for you.
Choose the right size.

Then come the troubles each time the frame connects something: the seatpost, the crankset, the fork and the rear wheel.

In general the frame builder provides a good enough carbon seatpost.
Otherwise just check the diameter is the same as the frame: 27.2mm, 31.6, etc.

The frame may come in various bottom bracket standards: PF30, BSA, BB30, BB86, BB386, etc.
That will influence what groupset you will be able to choose.

Then the headtube.
Chinese frames come generally tapered for 1.25"/1.5" forks.
Builders provide integrated headsets in general.
You can get some for $10 on Aliexpress too.
That will allow you to choose a fork.

Then the wheels.
You should go for thru axles. The frame builder provide sometimes a rear axle.
Unfortunately there are two standards now: 142x12mm and 148x12mm(boost).
If I were you I would go for the boost( frame and rear wheel ) but 142mm is still ok.
The hub of the rear wheel comes with a freehub body that is mainly Shimano 11sp(for NX or shimano cassettes) or Sram XD(for GX, XX1), be sure to choose the one that applies.

Start with this, and then you can look for a groupset, brakes, bar, tires, etc.

emu26

Which frame did you decide on?

gohloum

Just a quick chime in, Carbonazza in the post above gave you a really good rundown and that should keep you out of trouble for the most part.

If I may add, something you might want to consider is most of the hard tail frames are non-boost.  If you keep the fork you found, you will have a mismatched setup (which is OK, unless you decide to resell).  Also a 130 fork is gonna have a more drastic change on the handling characteristics of whatever you get, and some more than others.  Most of the HT frames are designed for a 100mm. You can fork them to a 120mm and get away with it, but 130 might be a little much.

Also, the new standard for axles is now BOOST (110x15mm front) for XC and Trail class bikes. I have noticed that the standard 100x15mm have been dropping in price to some degree, especially in the used market.  Re-thinking your fork might be something to consider, although I completely understand that budget drives choices. 

Just something to consider and think about....