Author Topic: Any sources for a boosted hardtail?  (Read 7835 times)

gohloum

Any sources for a boosted hardtail?
« on: July 26, 2019, 07:23:09 AM »
So I am retiring my CS-MB01 frame.  My new bike is boost (110 x 15 front and 148 x 12 rear).  Since my hub on my MB01 rear is trashed, I have sourced some new boost hubs which will make it nice for me to interchange wheels between bikes.

I looked at every frame on Peter's site and none of the hardtails are boost rear.  Does anyone have any idea where I can find a boosted hard tail frame? Even better, a boost rear with threaded BB. 

I wish they would upgrade the 057 to the wider rear, I'd jump on that in a skinny minute!

carbonazza

Re: Any sources for a boosted hardtail?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 04:38:31 AM »
It looks the hardtails are going out of favor for the new XC full suspension bikes, isn't it ?
Did someone got recent news about Peter ?

carbonazza

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 04:42:27 AM »

gohloum

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 08:19:20 AM »
It looks the hardtails are going out of favor for the new XC full suspension bikes, isn't it ?
Did someone got recent news about Peter ?

I haven't really kept up, but if that is the case, then it's a mistake.  Strictly speaking XC class, both HT and FS are warranted. Me being in GA and racing the SERC and GSC series this year, there are only 2 or 3 tracks I would use the FS on. This is also observable if you are watching the UCI World series on RedBull.  Suspension is chosen less over HT most of the time, it really depends on track/trail design.

So, the next thing is modern geometry, something I really haven't seen much of from the China frames in any design.  Most brand name 29er bikes now will accept up to a 2.6 width and most of those being able to run 27.5x2.8.   Also 120mm fork and a 70 degree or less head angle, with a longer reach, wheelbase, and shorter chain stays.  Steeper seat post angle too.  Think of it as migrating the wheels forward under the rider rather than pushing the rider back due to the increase in reach.  It's much easier to visualize when you think of it this way.

The LightCarbon one you mention seems to have a boosted axle, but a 2.3 max tire... WTF? I mean they have a huge chain stay (445) which puts the tire plenty behind the BB allowing for widening.  The head angle is 70, but I didn't see what the recommended fork travel is on the site.  Looks like the guy in the post is building with a 100mm.  So a 120mm might put it at about 69 degrees... but I still am having a hard time swallowing a 445mm chain stay and a 2.3 max tire.

Ugh, I know the Chinese market is always trailing behind in designs, but except for just a couple of new offerings (mostly closer to trail bikes that I have seen), it's been utterly stagnant for the past 4.5 years.

I just wish 1 factory would man up and produce a HT with Boost axle,  425-428 Chain Stays, 75-ish Seat Tube, 69-ish Head Angle on a 120mm fork, No front derailleur which will allow easily for wider rear to accept the larger tires, and a wheelbase around 1180+ for a large, etc...  Can I get an A-men?! :-)

Short stem, dropper post, I'd be all set! 

carbonazza

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 09:08:32 AM »
...This is also observable if you are watching the UCI World series on RedBull.  Suspension is chosen less over HT most of the time...
I thought the opposite, probably a bias since I'm looking to move to a full suspension.
For two reasons: my friend is faster on a full suspension. He was a hard-core hardtail like me.
And it makes a more versatile bike, to go on more mountainous trails.
Maybe a third reason could be comfort, I don't suffer yet, but this could come with age.
 I'll watch RedBull TV differently now.

...Think of it as migrating the wheels forward under the rider rather than pushing the rider back due to the increase in reach.  It's much easier to visualize when you think of it this way...
Nice visualisation indeed.

Ugh, I know the Chinese market is always trailing behind in designs, but except for just a couple of new offerings (mostly closer to trail bikes that I have seen), it's been utterly stagnant for the past 4.5 years.
Totally agree. That stagnation probably helped move my interest to full suspension bikes.

gohloum

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 01:16:24 PM »
I thought the opposite, probably a bias since I'm looking to move to a full suspension.
For two reasons: my friend is faster on a full suspension. He was a hard-core hardtail like me.
And it makes a more versatile bike, to go on more mountainous trails.
Maybe a third reason could be comfort, I don't suffer yet, but this could come with age.
 I'll watch RedBull TV differently now.

He is faster on an FS?  This is interesting.  I found the FS to be a touch slower, mainly due to:
1 - Pedaling Efficiency. The suspension robs power, it may be very little but is compounded over time and distance.
2 - Weight. The FS will always be heavier due to frame design.

Now, what I did find is I am faster (considerably) downhill and over technical terrain with the FS, but also you have to consider I am riding the Fezzari Signal Peak now which is classed as a marathon XC bike. It has a 68 degree head tube, longer reach and wheel base, more upright seatpost, and 120mm front and rear travel.  This bike is definitely more capable over terrain than a true XC FS.  This was another reason I avoided a Chinese FS frame.  I couldn't find anything that was progressive enough into 'Trail' discipline territory.

So I guess it's a bit of what you are doing.  For me over a long ride with climbing and descending, the HT is faster, mainly because more time is spent climbing than descending due to travel speed (obviously).  But yeah, I get it.  Until I got my FS, I was struggling to keep up with my buddy on the descents at Bear Creek/P1 and P2.  And on the climb up, I'm no longer waiting on them at the top.

Also, the fatigue thing you mentioned is very evident - especially over long rides.  Under an hour ride, I am usually locked out or in mid travel for the rear if there are lots of roots.  Over an hour, I start spending a lot more time in mid travel an will choose full squish on the rough stuff.  I feel like I can last longer and there is something to be said for the amount of energy you expend absorbing rough trails.  It will wear you out in a hurry!

Totally agree. That stagnation probably helped move my interest to full suspension bikes.
Yeah. Unfortunately, I feel kinda the same for the XC suspension bikes too.  One or 2 new offerings and that's about it. Most are static CC (center of curvature) single pivot.  Not much in the way of linkage driven, Horst, dual pivot link, etc... Basically almost nothing in the way of IC (Instant Center) designs.  It would be nice to see more of these, but I'm also aware that some have patents, so it may never happen.

gohloum

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2019, 09:08:59 AM »
Hey Carbonazza, speaking of geometry, my specs are on this page, just click Geometry at the top right.  I am on a large frame.  https://www.fezzari.com/signalpeak

I almost went HT.  Really thought about it for some time.  This one is designed around a 1x drive train so that allowed them to really tighten up the rear in and tuck the wheel under the rider. 425mm chain stays... How about them apples?  https://www.fezzari.com/solitude

Oh yeah, and now that I have a dropper post, I'll NEVER own a bike without one again!  What a difference in performance over terrain and railing turns you get when you can move your body around and get down low with the seat out of the way!  Totally worth the weight penalty IMO.

carbonazza

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2019, 09:46:21 AM »
He is faster on an FS?  This is interesting.  I found the FS to be a touch slower, mainly due to:
1 - Pedaling Efficiency. The suspension robs power, it may be very little but is compounded over time and distance.
2 - Weight. The FS will always be heavier due to frame design.
Yeah, I'm still surprised too
1- He says climbing in roots and rocks is faster now, but has the brain system that in theory helps on pedaling efficiency. And descending is easier for sure than his HT.
2- He has the recent Epic S-Works :o Weight is a reduced problem at that price level... Well... it's still about 1.5-2kg heavier than his previous ultra light hardtail

Hey Carbonazza, speaking of geometry, my specs are on this page, just click Geometry at the top right.  I am on a large frame.  https://www.fezzari.com/signalpeak

I almost went HT.  Really thought about it for some time.  This one is designed around a 1x drive train so that allowed them to really tighten up the rear in and tuck the wheel under the rider. 425mm chain stays... How about them apples?  https://www.fezzari.com/solitude

Oh yeah, and now that I have a dropper post, I'll NEVER own a bike without one again!  What a difference in performance over terrain and railing turns you get when you can move your body around and get down low with the seat out of the way!  Totally worth the weight penalty IMO.
Ah... so you have already a FS ! And a nice one  ;)
I understand your hesitation with the HT... both are great bikes and check all the boxes.
I'm still hesitating on the dropper post, but many say the same as you. Tried once and never come back !

BensonC

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 12:19:13 PM »
Hi, I am new to this forum and this my first post(reply). 
A little introduction I am just a weekend warrior only, my riding route usually 50km with 600M climb.  20+of those km on cycling path to access the trail. Just sold my Giant XTC 27.5 and consider going with 29.
My list so far Specialized Chisel
Or building Chinese frame with SLX 12speed kit with either of
1) Seraph FM199 or 2) SP cycles M09
Anyone have experience or advice to share would be great!