Author Topic: How much sealant/latex in a 30mm rim?  (Read 3180 times)

MTB2223

How much sealant/latex in a 30mm rim?
« on: August 29, 2014, 02:53:15 AM »
Does anybody knows the recommended amount of sealant/latex that is needed for a 30mm hookless tubeless setup?

I think the minimum is 120 ml, but couldn't find this on the internet.

Carbon_Dude

Re: How much sealant/latex in a 30mm rim?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 11:53:07 AM »
Stan's always says 4 oz (118 ml) so the info you found seems correct.  I think it's the same for any MTB tire, regardless of wheel or tire size.  120 ml is quite a bit and will coat the inside of the tire regardless of MTB tire size.  On the other hand, I have in the past, cheated a bit and put in half that amount if I know the tires and rim do not require sealant just to seal the tire to the rim.  However, you probably need to add new more often if you skimp on what you put in the first time.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

MTB2223

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 11:59:25 AM »
Today I put 120 ml in each wheel. I needed the sealant to seal the tyre and rim. Whitout, I could hear the air flowing away.
Now the wheels are sealed and I can hear the sealant sloshing (correct word?).

Vipassana

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 12:49:08 PM »
In the most recent three wheels sets I built, I used 2oz of Stan's in each wheel.  The wheels were Iplay 30mm hookless 29ers with Racing Ralph tires.  Of the six wheels, only one had even the slightest trouble sealing.  Five wheels sealed immediately and have been fine for a month now with a couple hundred miles.  The odd wheel out simple required pumping it up three times and shaking the fluid around.  Now it is fine and holding perfectly.

One wheel got a pretty nasty sidewall puncture on it's first ride out, resulting in a ~1/8th" hole.  The sealant was able to seal the hole after some work.  First I took the wheel off and placed the hole down so that the sealant could pool above the hole.  After it squirted for a bit and plugged up, I added a bit of air.  It started to bubble again so I let the pool sit over the hole again.  I repeated this three or four times until the tire was up to about 20 psi and the hole wasn't leaking.  We rode another 10 miles to get back to the cars without trouble.  We later patched the inside casing with a tube patch and it has been holding perfectly since then.

I think when you are not using "Tubeless Ready" tires, you will need additional sealant to get the system to hold pressure.  My Giant with non-tubeless rims and non-tubeless ready tires took quite a bit of sealant the first time.  Now I refill the wheels with 2oz ever few months.  Which leads me to me next point...

DON'T FORGET TO REFILL YOUR WHEELS WITH SEALANT PERIODICALLY!  Out here in AZ, I refill my wheels every 4 to 6 months because the heat seems to dry them out quickly.  There is nothing worse than dropping out of a race or ride because of a flat because you forgot to rejuice your wheels.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 12:51:25 PM by Vipassana »

MTB2223

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 12:56:08 PM »
I'm also using Racing Ralphs.

When you refill your tyres, do you first remove the old sealant ?

Vipassana

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 01:11:58 PM »
No, I just put additional fluid in. Usually there isn't much left anyway.

I refill through the valve stem as well.

brmeyer135

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 05:22:03 PM »
Stan's says seems to real general saying 3oz for first time and 2 oz after that.
I know I put 3/4 of a scoop on my 29er 2.0 tires and lose air over a few days - so I really should have put more to begin
Depending on tire size...bigger than 2.2 probably should do the 3oz to begin.

325racer

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 09:19:16 PM »
Went with Orange on the new build.  Front Rocket Ron I added 3 oz, tire sealed up and had plenty of liquid still floating around.  My rear Thunder Burt with snakeskin didn't require any to seal, but will probably add 3 oz for puncture sealing.

My old Ardents took probably 6 oz each before they stopped leaking and sound dry inside.