Author Topic: Fork for my cheap road bike  (Read 3820 times)

marras

Fork for my cheap road bike
« on: September 12, 2019, 05:37:39 PM »
Hi everyone, I've a 10 year old btwin sport 1, a really cheap road bike I used mostly when I was 16, and really enjoyed it, almost 10000km and no problem, my best bike so far. Since I want to ride it again, I want to update it, because it has a steel fork which has started to rust a bit, and I would like to update to a carbon fork for cheap. For curiosity I measured the weight of the actual fork and it is 1100gr, so a lighter fork will give the bike a real benefit.
I've started searching a bit on aliexpress and found many fork (mainly from qilefu), but I don't want to buy it blindly, because I don't want to feel to much fear of braking it (or me!), the road around me is not that good. Which brand/model can you advice to me?
Thank you!

ernestkus

Re: Fork for my cheap road bike
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 07:28:15 AM »
You need to inspect your fork for the correct measurement, especially the steerer
is it 1", 1 1/8", or tapered 1 1/8 - 1 1/2"

Usually the forks from china have 43mm rake. Maybe different from your bike, will affect the handling a little

I have good experience with hylix fork from ebay. That's the only one I can reccomend for you base on experience

SportingGoods

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 07:35:52 AM »
I don't think you can go wrong with any vendor that has good feedback (on eBay or Aliexpress). I have used a very cheap carbon road fork on tough gravel rides (including a competition with near to MTB-type descents). They usually error on the safe side with heavier then it should parts.
I wouldn't trust an expensive fork more then one from Aliexpress!

marras

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 09:10:56 AM »
I've found a wacako fork on aliexpress, with a lots of review, at about 35€, is that a reputable brand as far as you know?

SportingGoods

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 04:42:38 AM »
No it's not a "reputable" brand, I've never heard about them, but looking at the AliExpress feedback I wouldn't hesitate to buy this product. As always with AliExpress, just make sure to test the product before expiration of the claim period. Once that period is over you can't expect anything back.