Author Topic: TanTan FM10 29/27.5+  (Read 37517 times)

GuitsBoy

Re: TanTan FM10 29/27.5+
« Reply #210 on: March 30, 2021, 11:51:34 AM »
Hello GuitsBoy, how was the history of the damage to your frame by the shock absorber? Did they replace the part? or with the filing arrangement with the Dremel you have left it like this ... has the arrangement gone well?
I am in the same situation even file the round head of the shock absorber to see if it is solved, it rubs less but it continues to rub.
Hey, sorry, I must have missed this.  Yes, they did replace the rear seatstays, main alloy pivot, and the shock bolt with a stainless steel variant.   None of which have been installed since my various workarounds are doing just fine.  Even the epoxy carbon repair looks fine.

chinerrider

« Reply #211 on: May 02, 2021, 09:05:45 AM »
Hi all,

I just had the problem that the screws on the frames got loose very easily. I had to glue them with red loctite now. I was lucky I wasn't alone on the trail, otherwise I could walk home for a couple of miles. I lost one screw while going up the hill, so I was able to find the screw after a couple of minutes an put it back in. So, for those who buy one of these frames and intend to use it off road seriously, use loctite before you even start to assemble the rest to this frame.
I am also not so happy with the internal cable routing ports, these rubbers don't do the job, they fall out, and then the cable start to chatter with every little vibration. This needs definitely some improvments!
Besides that, everything alright so far....

RobertRinAustin

« Reply #212 on: May 02, 2021, 02:18:07 PM »
Hi all,

I just had the problem that the screws on the frames got loose very easily. I had to glue them with red loctite now. I was lucky I wasn't alone on the trail, otherwise I could walk home for a couple of miles. I lost one screw while going up the hill, so I was able to find the screw after a couple of minutes an put it back in. So, for those who buy one of these frames and intend to use it off road seriously, use loctite before you even start to assemble the rest to this frame.
I am also not so happy with the internal cable routing ports, these rubbers don't do the job, they fall out, and then the cable start to chatter with every little vibration. This needs definitely some improvments!
Besides that, everything alright so far....
I Loctite all my frame bolts. Always assumed everyone did this. Forgot to do it on my Evil Following last year and nearly lost a trunnion bolt.

I add pool noodle chunks to my down tube around the head and bottom bracket to silence cables. Forgot who recommended it on here, but it works great.

emu26

« Reply #213 on: May 02, 2021, 04:33:15 PM »
I use closed cell rubber pipe insulation, it squashes up easier than the noodles so is easier to get in. Doesn't weigh much for the amount you need.

d3sertcr4wlr

« Reply #214 on: May 23, 2021, 10:55:34 AM »
Hi there, really appreciate the work you guys have done trying out the frame, troubleshooting the issues, and documenting your struggles. I’ve got a FM10 on the way, but I had some questions while I wait.

I’ve got a Fox DPX2 185x50 W/ Trunnions front mount. I’ve seen a couple others have used the 185x55, I assume I’ll be fine? What front trunnion mount bolts worked for you? What spacers in the back should I pick up?

Also, have your FM10 come with head tube bearings?

Any other recommendations for someone just starting on this frame?

Heres the rough outline of my build, mostly picked up from Pinkbike and Ali:
Frame: FM10
Rear shock: Fox Float DPX2 185x50
Fork: Fox Float 34 Rhythm
Shifter/Derailleur: Shimano XT M8000 11speeds
Cassette: Sunracer CSMX80 11-50T 11speeds
Brakes: SRAM G2 RSC
BB: Shimano XTR BB94
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 06:34:41 PM by d3sertcr4wlr »

ChinerDetroit

« Reply #215 on: June 02, 2021, 09:42:43 AM »
following this thread, think my next build is going to be a TanTan FM10 with 135mm travel back, 140 front.

chinerrider

« Reply #216 on: June 06, 2021, 02:32:28 PM »
Hi, I lost a frame link bolt (seat stay to chain stay) while riding and now I can't ride my bike. I was wondering if somebody knows which screws and bearings i could order which match with the FM10 frame. Does anybody know what bearings and screws are in here? I have already contacted TanTan Cycling, but I am afraid that it is going to take for ever until I get the spare parts. So, I thought it might be easier to find alternative screws which I can order in my country.

Thanks for your help!

chinerrider

« Reply #217 on: June 08, 2021, 03:09:02 AM »
Hi, I lost a frame link bolt (seat stay to chain stay) while riding and now I can't ride my bike. I was wondering if somebody knows which screws and bearings i could order which match with the FM10 frame. Does anybody know what bearings and screws are in here? I have already contacted TanTan Cycling, but I am afraid that it is going to take for ever until I get the spare parts. So, I thought it might be easier to find alternative screws which I can order in my country.

Thanks for your help!

Good news here: TanTan Cycling will send me some spare parts!

andrewj

« Reply #218 on: August 27, 2021, 01:30:37 PM »
Hey guys,

I'm currently waiting on this frame, should arrive in a week or two as it shipped about a week ago. Just wanted to post and let you know I'll be adding my experience to the thread soon.

I actually DM'd a couple users here to ask a couple questions - thanks for the input guys!

I picked up a 185x50 dpx2 trunnion mount and will use my current Aion 35 fork with the RC2 damper. My current bike (2018 Occam TR size M) was a bit too XC and a bit too small for my riding and size (5'-11" with a 6'-2" wingspan). Planning a 135mm rear travel and 140mm front travel 29er for this frame. Due to some posts here about the included shock hardware and rear axle breakage I've picked up a low-friction 8x40mm mounting set from S4 suspension and I also ordered a spare axle from TanTan. Once I find out the length and thread pitch of the axle I may pick up a Rockshox brand rear axle as they have a good selection of sizes.

Anyway, once this is built up it will get a weekly thrashing on rocky, rooty, PNW black trails. Technical climbing is super important to me (sometimes we session the uphills) so I'll comment on how it climbs.

I'm also an experienced home mechanic & wheel builder with the Park Tool course, years of maintenance, and a few builds under my belt.

Anyway, if some of the others came back and gave an update on their experience riding this frame that would be great!

dpenev

« Reply #219 on: August 30, 2021, 09:01:46 AM »
Hello,

I consider purchasing FM10 as well.
I am 184cm tall with 87cm leg length. I am considering 21'' frame.
In the internet each calculator is giving different result.

Please advice.

GuitsBoy

« Reply #220 on: August 30, 2021, 09:07:28 AM »
Hello,

Please advice.

I'm 6.0 ft (183 cm) and I dont think I would feel comfortable on a 21.   The 19 doesn't feel cramped to me, but it certainly doesnt feel long either.  Do you prefer a bigger bike or a smaller one?  At your height, You could go either way.

northup

« Reply #221 on: August 30, 2021, 09:23:26 AM »
Hello,

Please advice.

You might check out this article on bike sizing: https://www.leelikesbikes.com/rad-bike-setup.html

Per formula, your "ideal" rider area distance (to enable your body to efficiently exert force on the bike) is 822.48cm
The RAD for the 21" frame calculated from reach and stack height is 798, meaning that with a small spacer and stem, you should be on the money for bike to body size, though without much wiggle room.

The 19" frame comes in at 775.63mm, a little smaller so with a few spacers and a stem you'll be right on, with the flexibility to change your size around with stem and bars rather than buying a different frame. A touch lighter on the climb as well.

Both will fit, the 19" should have more control and feel a bit more playful, the 21" should be feel more planted and stable at speed.

What type of terrain do you ride most often?

SVChucko

« Reply #222 on: September 14, 2021, 02:25:15 AM »
I ordered an FM10 in size M - I'm 172cm tall. I ran the geometry numbers vs. my current 26" bike (which is too small) and this should be a good fit for me. Hoping to build it as a 150/150 mm travel rig.

I ordered it yesterday via the Seraph Official store on AliExpress, and I got notified it was shipping today. That was a pleasant surprise.

I have a pair of 27.5" rims on order from another vendor. I may wind up converting to 29" later. Would like to see how it behaves as a 27.5+ before I switch to the wagon wheels.

SVChucko

« Reply #223 on: September 16, 2021, 10:13:31 PM »
I failed to order a rear thru-axle with the bike. Does anyone have the specs on the required length and threads? Thanks.

emu26

« Reply #224 on: September 16, 2021, 10:25:28 PM »
Does it not come with one?