Author Topic: TanTan FM10 29/27.5+  (Read 37508 times)

RobertRinAustin

Re: TanTan FM10 29/27.5+
« Reply #225 on: September 16, 2021, 10:31:24 PM »
Does it not come with one?
Not sure on the FM10, but you should always ask. I assumed all frames came with the rear axle and derailer hanger until I bought a Chiner that didn't. Now I ask because it's a whole lot cheaper to buy and ship them with the frame than it is to do it separately.

GuitsBoy

« Reply #226 on: September 17, 2021, 06:11:30 AM »
Mine came with the axle.  The axle is threaded into the dropout, so it s a matched set.  Frames that dont come with an axle are usually e-thru type that require both the thru axle and nut, at least in my experience.   I did order a spare derailleur hanger with my frame just to have a spare on hand, and I believe that came with a second axle.

northup

« Reply #227 on: September 17, 2021, 07:40:30 AM »
Mine came with an axle as well. I believe it's a 12mm thread pitch but I can put calipers on it if you're looking to buy a spare ahead of your frame arriving.

SVChucko

« Reply #228 on: September 17, 2021, 11:12:43 AM »
Does it not come with one?

The product description says the axle is not included unless you add it to your order: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000405521351.html

I foolishly assumed that all 148x12mm thru-axles were the same. But I learned otherwise last night.

It's not a big deal, I can wait until the frame arrives to figure this out. It's in the hands of the shippers now.

GuitsBoy

« Reply #229 on: September 17, 2021, 11:40:45 AM »
The product description says the axle is not included unless you add it to your order: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000405521351.html

I foolishly assumed that all 148x12mm thru-axles were the same. But I learned otherwise last night.

It's not a big deal, I can wait until the frame arrives to figure this out. It's in the hands of the shippers now.

I still think you might be pleasantly surprised, but just in case, the specs are printed on the axle itself.

andrewj

« Reply #230 on: September 17, 2021, 03:18:33 PM »
The included components vary widely by seller. I ordered mine on DHGate and messaged the seller to find out what was included. Oddly, they said it included a headset and rear axle but not a seatpost clamp. You should ask the seller so that you can scoop up anything that might be missing. Note that you might need some shock mounting hardware. See the earlier posts in this thread.

I inquired about ordering a spare derailleur hanger, but they told me they were out of stock! Does anyone know the hanger number or the Ali link so I can source one?

@SVChucko - Hopefully your shipping is quick - mine has been stuck at "airport departure" for 3 weeks now. I've got all my bits ready to build the bike, just waiting on the frame!

If I get mine first and build it up, feel free to DM me with any questions.

emu26

« Reply #231 on: September 17, 2021, 04:05:04 PM »

Now that I look at your link I remember having conversations with that shop  before I bought mine and they were adamant it didn't come with it. I kept questioning because the pics all show it and the seat collar.  Doesn't help you now but that was one of the reasons I ordered from here instead.  https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000406391102.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4d2COzfJ

SVChucko

« Reply #232 on: September 17, 2021, 08:48:34 PM »
Thanks @GuitsBoy!

@emu26, I find the purchase process confusing because so many storefronts claim to be "official" and "factory" and "authorized"... Looking at your link, they appear to be the same company. I think the vendors are doing A/B testing on us to see what sells. In my case, it was that low low price. I know from previous (non-bike) AI purchases that vendors will often have a lower top line price and make it up in the shipping costs. Heck, I've even seen that on eBay.

@andrewj, the shipper says they picked up my frame yesterday... hoping I don't get stuck in the same holding pattern.

Meanwhile I have a bunch of component purchases also coming from China, because there is no stock at the big US retailers.

andrewj

« Reply #234 on: October 14, 2021, 12:02:54 PM »
My frame finally arrived. I had a couple of hours to work on it last night.

I've attached a couple photos. Overall, quality seems OK. The rubber downtube guard is the one available off AliEx - it installed nicely. My fork is only at 130mm in the photo. I need to adjust it to 140mm travel still.

The bad:

- I had to sand down some excess paint / material on the inside of the shock mount to slide my trunnion mount shock into place.

- fair bit of frayed fibers on the inside where post-drilling had been done. I've not worked with a carbon frame from a big manufacturer so I don't know if this is normal. My wife has a flyxii carbon cyclocross bike and it was relatively smooth inside.

- The chainstays had to flex out about 5mm to accommodate my wheel. I hope they sent me the boost version as ordered. Doesn't seem like a big deal, only a couple mm per side. Could have been some excess paint / material similar to my shock issue.

- The provided rear axle was very tight through my hub. There is some noticeable drag through one of the seals on the drive side.

The good:

- The exterior finish is almost flawless. There are a couple visible rough spots around some of the pivots. Probably some minor chipping fron drilling. Very minor and only visible upon close inspection.

- The price. This cost me $777 CAD, plus $16.30 in taxes. That's like $640 USD all in for you folks down south.

- Availability. Yes, I had to wait a couple months, but I was actually able to buy this.

- The sizing / geo. I picked this frame based on my desired reach, HTA, and travel. I currently measure this at a 335mm bottom bracket height. This will be about 338mm once I increase my fork to 140mm. This is a similar height to my previous bike, 2018 Occam TR. While I loved that bike, it was a size medium (too small) and 120mm/130mm R/F travel was not quite enough for my riding. My size large FM10 will have an extra 30mm reach and be 135mm/140mm R/F travel with a slightly slacker HTA.

Anyway, more photos to come. Hopefully finish it up and test ride within the next week. Any technical questions, just send me a DM.

GuitsBoy

« Reply #235 on: October 14, 2021, 12:28:26 PM »
Andrew, sounds like they might have sent you the non-boost 12x142 version.  You might want to get in touch with them to confirm.  My wheel slides right in perfectly without having to spread the rear triangle.  I'd be afraid of running it that way, even if it is only 6mm.  Maybe they messed up and will send you a new triangle?  I dont know, but might as well look into it. 

I had to file down my shock hardware just a touch, but I've had to do that on other brand frames in the past as well.  No big deal.   

As for the fibers, any chance you can take a pic of them?  Its probably no big deal, but a photo would probably help solidify everyone's opinion.

andrewj

« Reply #236 on: October 14, 2021, 01:10:46 PM »
Thanks for the advice, I'll take the wheel out and measure the dropout spacing with a set of calipers. If it is incorrect, it's a good thing it's just the rear triangle.

As for the fibers, I won't be able to take a photo since it's inside the frame. I felt the frayed fibers while my fingers were inside the frame for cable routing.

Very simple cable routing on this frame by the way - I started from the back and finished at the head tube. This allowed me to reach in the head tube to guide each piece of housing through its intended opening.

SVChucko

« Reply #237 on: October 14, 2021, 01:58:26 PM »
@andrewj, what shock did you go with? I have a Manitou Mara 185x55mm trunnion shock and a Cane Creek Helm II 150mm fork waiting here for the frame.

Good to hear about the cable/hose routing being straightforward.

FWIW my frame has been at "delivered to the carrier" since Sept. 26. The rims I ordered from "shunheng bike store" at the same time as the frame shipped much later. As of this morning the rims are at JFK Airport in NY, so even though I'm in California, I'm expecting to get the rims before the frame.

andrewj

« Reply #238 on: October 14, 2021, 02:07:02 PM »
It's a 185x50 Fox DPX2 trunnion mount. Once I got the shock into position, it fit perfectly between the frame mounts atthe trunnion end. It was just a matter of sanding the material around the mount.

The other end required no modification and worked perfectly with my 40mm M8 hardware installed on the shock.

emu26

« Reply #239 on: October 14, 2021, 03:53:32 PM »
I'm with Guitsboy, sounds to me like you have a 142mm rear triangle. From memory tolerance on the rear is +1.5mm / -0.5mm, clearly -6mm is way outside that.

As for BB height, don't forget that it will actually sag more once weighted than your last bike so your BB will actually end up lower when riding.