Author Topic: TanTan FM10 29/27.5+  (Read 37520 times)

andrewj

Re: TanTan FM10 29/27.5+
« Reply #240 on: October 18, 2021, 03:06:15 PM »
I heard back from TanTan about the rear spacing ... I had to send them a ton of pictures showing the rear spacing is only 143mm. Eventually their response was that it's normal and to flex the chainstays outward to install the wheel. I'm not convinced, but that's all they've come up with. It works, but makes the rear wheel very difficult to install. I think they screwed up and won't admit it.

After some preliminary riding on this, I regret pairing it with the DPX2. To anyone considering this frame I would highly recommend a coil shock. If I had seen the leverage curve posted on lightcarbon's site for the lcfs713 (I think it's the same as the fm10), I wouldn't have bought the dpx2. I removed all the volume spacers and the rear suspension is still too progressive, i.e - ramps up way before full travel. I'm going to try running more sag on the shock (like 35%) and see how that works.

With pressure set to achieve 30% sag, the rear travel is much too firm and does not track the ground very well over the rough stuff. And yes, I have turned off all compression damping. 185lbs, running at about 220psi to achieve 30% sag.

I'm curious what the experience of others had been with air shocks on this frame. If this is the same as the lightcarbon 713 frame, looks like the leverage ratio goes from 3.25 to about 2.2 over the first 135mm of travel. This is crazy progressive and seems designed for a more linear spring rate like a coil shock.

GuitsBoy

« Reply #241 on: October 18, 2021, 03:33:30 PM »
That's a bummer to hear about the rear spacing.  I think you pegged them about making the mistake, but I guess they believe its within spec.  Pretty disappointing, and seems to me they deserve some bad press if that's their take on things.   Theyre racking up more and more small errors, but very public facing.  Maybe right now theyre scrambling just to keep their head above water? Or maybe theyve got so much business they dont care about individual retail buyers?  Who knows, but it definitely sucks for us.

I'm running a manitou mcleod air shock and Ive been generally very happy with it.  I'm running about 185 psi at 210 bodyweight, also at 30% sag.  Compression is usually 2/4, occasionally with 3/4 for long climbs or 1/4 for downhills.  I prefer a progressive spring in most cases, but it doesnt strike me as overly so.  A 2 ft drop will leave me about 3/8 inch of stroke left as per the telltale, and a closer to 4 ft drop will leave about 3/16, so Ive got a little bit of room for error.   I bought the king can (large volume air can) for the shock, but so far I've been happy with it in stock form, so the king can is still in the box.  But I ride primarily trail, with only occasional visits to the jump line or some light jank/gnar.  If you do a lot of lift assisted or enduro style riding, you probably dont care about pedaling platform the same way I do.  This may change since my buddy is returning my 120mm travel bike soon, so I wont have to use the big bike for XC rides anymore.

emu26

« Reply #242 on: October 18, 2021, 06:21:31 PM »
Andrew if you bought through Aliexpress I would be opening a dispute with them. Being 5mm under spec is not within their tolerances, that should be marked on their geo drawings and from memory it is +1mm -0.5mm.  Be clear what resolution you want, replacement rear triangle in spec or x% refund.  Be patient, it's a pain but these disputes take some time.  I would not be stressing the rear that much by continuing to ride on it but that is just me, I'm sure others wouldn't give it a second thought.

Agree with Guits, Tantan / Seraph  are certainly racking up -ve customer service commentary at the moment.

andrewj

« Reply #243 on: October 19, 2021, 10:39:01 PM »
I purchased on DHGate and they are tripling down that they sent the right frame. It is pretty clear that they are wrong. Photo attached.

They keep saying the same thing: that the axle wouldn't fit if it was a 142x12 frame. The ignorance is strong. I would have expected that they would know the basics of bikes and bike frames.

carbonazza

« Reply #244 on: October 20, 2021, 03:23:53 AM »
I purchased on DHGate and they are tripling down that they sent the right frame. It is pretty clear that they are wrong. Photo attached.

They keep saying the same thing: that the axle wouldn't fit if it was a 142x12 frame. The ignorance is strong. I would have expected that they would know the basics of bikes and bike frames.
Did you try to message some who have the frame already if they can measure it for you ?

emu26

« Reply #245 on: October 20, 2021, 05:36:52 AM »
Did you try to message some who have the frame already if they can measure it for you ?

I have one and my boost wheel goes in and out without issue.  Happy to take pics with calipers if you want Andrew, just let me know. I can't see how it can be anything but a non boost rear end.

andrewj

« Reply #246 on: October 20, 2021, 11:07:59 AM »
Yeah a couple people have chimed in that they can fit their boost rear wheel in the frame without having to flex the frame outward. One of the problems here is that it makes it almost impossible to install the rear wheel when the brake caliper and derailleur are installed.

Their messaging is extremely frustrating when I have semt photos showing that they are clearly wrong.

Stuff like this:

" ps: As a frame supplier, we understand the frame better. "

Hmm, clearly not.

GuitsBoy

« Reply #247 on: October 20, 2021, 11:13:58 AM »

Stuff like this:

" ps: As a frame supplier, we understand the frame better. "

Wow.  That would piss me right off.   I doubt I'll buy another frame from TanTan in the future.   Its a shame because Ive been quite pleased with mine overall, and they did right by me.  Too many other people having a bad experience with them.  Not worth the risk now.

emu26

« Reply #248 on: October 20, 2021, 02:35:50 PM »
Andrew, it might be too late now, but if I was you I would be speaking to my credit card company and having the payment reversed. They have not sent you what you ordered and paid for. May well have been a genuine mistake, but their attitude since would have my back up and I would be doing everything possible to recover funds.

binaryagent

« Reply #249 on: October 27, 2021, 05:42:51 PM »
I lost the male bolt and washer from one of the rear frame pivot sex bolts and contacted TanTan via info@tantancycling.com and through the web site chat utility and received a response from both within 24 hours. Caroline contacted me over Whatsapp and I ordered a new one DHL express for $70 total (10 day delivery). Regular shipping would have only been $20 total but no certainty on delivery date. I received a tracking number just a few hours after making payment with Paypal.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 05:44:51 PM by binaryagent »

GuitsBoy

« Reply #250 on: October 27, 2021, 06:02:50 PM »
I lost the male bolt and washer from one of the rear frame pivot sex bolts and contacted TanTan via info@tantancycling.com and through the web site chat utility and received a response from both within 24 hours. Caroline contacted me over Whatsapp and I ordered a new one DHL express for $70 total (10 day delivery). Regular shipping would have only been $20 total but no certainty on delivery date. I received a tracking number just a few hours after making payment with Paypal.
Oh man, thats pricey delivery!   I would have run your makeshift bolt and waited, but I guess you needed it sooner than later.  Hope you're not down for too long.

emu26

« Reply #251 on: October 27, 2021, 09:20:33 PM »
Just going to throw out there that I have finally given in and swapped out my 27.5 x 2.8's for 29 x 2.3's and the bike has come alive. Almost identical weights on both wheelsets so it's not that, just rolling resistance and no more pedal strikes. Will be going back to the 175 cranks asap.

GuitsBoy

« Reply #252 on: October 27, 2021, 09:35:46 PM »
Just going to throw out there that I have finally given in and swapped out my 27.5 x 2.8's for 29 x 2.3's and the bike has come alive. Almost identical weights on both wheelsets so it's not that, just rolling resistance and no more pedal strikes. Will be going back to the 175 cranks asap.
Funny you should mention that.  I just built up a set of 29er hoops on M1 hubs with DT swiss internals the last two nights.  Got it all taped and mounted up this morning.  Hoping to take it for a shakedown run tomorrow night.  Ive been riding 29ers on my little 100mm travel bike, but now I can swap 27.5x2.8 and 29x2.35 out at will on this bike.  Moving from nobby nics  to maxxis forekasters made the pedal strikes unbearable, and I had to stretch the fork to 160 to compensate.  The 29ers should alleviate that.  Glad to hear you like the new wheels, good luck with it.

andrewj

« Reply #253 on: October 28, 2021, 11:35:20 AM »
Whose frame bolts came with loctite pre-applied? All my pivotsl bolts came with blue loctitepre-appplied, but were very under torqued. I torqued them all to 1nm below max indicated. Hopefully no one else loses any more bolts!

Also, I got the Bomber CR shock installed. 185x52.5 trunnion It's a perfect match for this frame's leverage curve. Ultra plush with a good pedalling platform at the sag point - no bob. With the 500lb spring installed the shock is almost 1kg! For the performance, the weight is easily worth it.

Other than receiving the wrong rear spacing (142 instead of 148) I'm really digging the bike on the light trails around my home. I plan to take it for a proper ride this weekend.

emu26

« Reply #254 on: October 28, 2021, 06:33:06 PM »
Funny you should mention that.  I just built up a set of 29er hoops on M1 hubs with DT swiss internals the last two nights.  Got it all taped and mounted up this morning.  Hoping to take it for a shakedown run tomorrow night.  Ive been riding 29ers on my little 100mm travel bike, but now I can swap 27.5x2.8 and 29x2.35 out at will on this bike.  Moving from nobby nics  to maxxis forekasters made the pedal strikes unbearable, and I had to stretch the fork to 160 to compensate.  The 29ers should alleviate that.  Glad to hear you like the new wheels, good luck with it.

Yep, I'll be keeping the plus wheels as well for when I am both fitter and also for places like Thredbo when I take the boy down.