Author Topic: TanTan FM10 29/27.5+  (Read 37529 times)

GreyCactus

Re: TanTan FM10 29/27.5+
« Reply #255 on: November 20, 2021, 06:02:50 AM »
Hey Guys,
I've used a Lightcarbon LCFS713 for over one season and the bike is briiliant!. I ride trailds really hard, drops over 6ft, and some local KOM and a lot of PR. Bottomed out the frame in some situations  ;D ;D
No racing only because COVID

After one season of use, It's time to replace it. But, bad new. Not available anymore  :(

So I have full spares, Fox Factory, Revive, Hope, DT... and 2 shocks 200x57 CCDB air - ELka stage 5  :) searching for a good bike

The FM10 could be the best way, I'm not sure. I've read all the thread, and not fully convinced.
The shock bolt failure has been fixed? And now th frame has a good clearance for 200x57 shock?

binaryagent

« Reply #256 on: January 19, 2022, 03:38:10 PM »
If your trunnion shock bolt breaks a 5/6" x 3.5" stainless steel bolt with nyloc nut and washers will work as others have described. I found that this copper tubing from Lowes makes a great bushing to fill the gap between the 8mm diameter of the 5/16" bolt and the inside of the 10mm bearing. I used a 1/4" drill to knock the burrs off and wallow it out a bit then used a washer to push onto the bolt (one on each side). There's still a little play between the copper tubing and the bearing but once I tightened it up there's no movement. I used the 3.5" bolt so that the threads don't start until just past the bearing and then cut off the excess.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 05:22:33 PM by binaryagent »

leBadger

« Reply #257 on: March 22, 2022, 02:40:38 AM »
Does anyone know if I can use the full 150mm rear travel with 29" wheels?

leBadger

« Reply #258 on: March 24, 2022, 03:55:54 PM »
@emu26 solved the question. 185x55mm seems to work with 29" wheels.

leBadger

« Reply #259 on: April 21, 2022, 05:00:08 AM »
Frame arrived today. Looks super nice.

I ordered it from Amazon and don't know if it is the exact same frame as the TanTan FM10.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B08LL3YGKF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The geometry listed on Amazon may be not the correct one. I haven't checked them but it looks like the reach is longer than shown. So maybe the same geometry as the TanTan.

Good news:

They changed the seat stay. And this time they didn't add a large pocket at the wrong position. :D Just a small pocket at the correct position.

They also delivered a solid steel mounting screw for non-trunnion shocks and the through axle seems to be aluminium.

200x55 DNM AOY 36 mounted:

« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 02:50:31 PM by leBadger »

leBadger

« Reply #260 on: April 21, 2022, 05:19:40 AM »
The modified seat stay takes the full range of motion and still has about 2-3mm distance to the 200mm shock mount at the critical position. So yes, they fixed the problem.

leBadger

« Reply #261 on: June 02, 2022, 04:55:52 PM »
Bike is ready. Looks like a dropperpost is a must have.

Shimano Deore XT FC-M8100-1 Kurbel 1x12, 170mm. 52mm chainline. 34T Chainwheel.
Shimano Deore Shadow Plus RD-M6100 12-speed rear derailleur
DNM AOY-36RC 200x55 rear shock

The fork should be this one:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Catazer-27-5-29inch-MTB-Bicycle_1600178980732.html?spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.normal_offer.d_title.573c6378APkSBD

36mm stanchions. They say that it has 160mm travel, but it comes at 140mm. It is possible to change the travel to 160mm but I guess it has a good reason that it is set to 140mm. There are some reports about broken stanchions after flat drops. I removed one 10mm spacer to get 150mm out of the fork. Since I won't jump or ride super hard it's ok for now. Will switch the fork in the future.

Overall the fork is not as responsible as I wish.

I used many parts from my old bike. Tektro brakes, an old ugly saddle, pedals with some rusty spikes, handlebar, stem, tyres etc.

I bought two 160mm centerlock discs. Turned out the fork wants a 180mm disc, so I recycled my old 180mm Hope 6 Bolt rotor.  Used a reverse 6 bolt to centerlock adapter. Didn't worked out of the box and the rivets dragged on the fork. It was just a tiny bit. Removed 0,3mm from the adapter. Was enough to get it running without any drag.

29" wheelset. 30mm rim inner width. Continental Kaiser Projekt 2.4" on the front, Maxxis aggressor 2,25" on the back.

Bottom bracket is a ninja token. Runs smooth.

How hard do you ride this frame?

PS: Don't panic. I laid the bike down super carefully. Nothing touches the frame. :D
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 04:58:07 PM by leBadger »

leBadger

« Reply #262 on: June 08, 2022, 04:48:20 PM »
Designed a little mudguard for the rear wheel. It is thicker than others available and is meant to be printed with flexible TPU.

I printed two and used one for the top part of the downtube.

3D Printed Mudguard settings:

Material: SainSmart TPU, transparent yellow
Temperature: 230-235°
Initial Layer Speed 15mm/s
Other layers: 30mm/s
Infill: 100%
Walls: 2

leBadger

« Reply #263 on: June 11, 2022, 11:55:56 AM »
I like the bike. Rides pretty good. But the cheap fork sucks.

Don't buy this fork: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Catazer-27-5-29inch-MTB-Bicycle_1600178980732.html?spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.normal_offer.d_title.573c6378APkSBD

On Amazon it is sold as this: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B08MZVDPXP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After I ordered it they told me that they changed the stickers on the fork and send me the one with the ABC logos.

What's good about the fork? The rebound adjustment is pretty good. From fully open to super slow. Works surprisingly well.

But the stanchions slide into some sort of plastic tubes. The plastic inserts have only two ~10mm long rings. One at the top, one at the bottom. Between those rings is about 10cm mostly nothing with a little plastic. The stanchions slide in this two rings and it doesn't run smooth. The fork doesn't react on small impacts. Zero movement for small stuff. It needs quiet some hard impacts to get the fork moving. And the stanchions won't fully bounce back all the time. They stuck and need some hard pedal strokes or a hard pull on the handle bar to get back into position. It is possible to add more pressure but that would make the fork hard like shit.

I don't recommend this one. If the trail is rough it feels "ok". Hard stuff gets eaten well. High speed over a 10cm rock is no problem. But besides that the fork feels mostly stiff and it needs a pull on the bar to jump back up or higher PSI.. I guess if the plastic inserts would be different the fork would be a little better.

The plastic insert is the same concept as this one from a youtube video (ZTZ Fork)

If I look at the ZTZ fork it could be the same manufacturer as the "ABC" Fork.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 01:12:34 PM by leBadger »

leBadger

« Reply #264 on: June 13, 2022, 12:27:08 PM »
Small update on the fork:

It is possible to get better performance from the fork. I followed a tutorial on Youtube but can't find it anymore.

Basically I marked the stanchions on the wanted point of sag, pushed the fork to that point and locked it with cable ties. Then flipped the bike and minimally loosened the dampernut and airshaftscrew. Then pressed the airshaftscrew a tiny bit in until the pressure in the lower (negative air) could get out. (pssssscht sound)

I didn't expected it to work but I was wrong. It changed the performance of the fork a lot. From basically stiff on smaller impacts to "Ok.. cool. I can live with that".

« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 12:31:54 PM by leBadger »

GuitsBoy

« Reply #265 on: September 18, 2023, 04:57:39 PM »
Hi all, just dropping by to post a quick update on this frame.  It took almost four years, give or take, but this past weekend, I think I finally fell in love with this frame.   

As I'm getting older, and my kids school and sports schedule is taking up more and more of my time, I'm riding less and getting weaker by the minute.  As such, pushing a 160/150 bike around the small hills on this sandbar I live on has gotten exhausting.  Ive been riding my big squish a lot less, in favor of my 120/100 travel FM27 little squish, or the SS hardtail mostly.  I still take the big bike whenever I travel the 2+ hours to get to some proper chunk / jank / light gnar /etc.  But foolishly, I've still been running my shock and fork too tight and high pressures, trying to get the bike to do double duty and climb like an XC bike.  It just isn't feasible. 

After contacting manitou about a top out clunk in my shock, we went back and forth, and they suggested a shim stack for a custom tune based on my weight and leverage ratio.  I had the option if I wanted my max compression to be a full lockout, or an enduro style tune to maximize traction on climbs.  Breaking from my XC ways, I decided on the enduro style.  I mean, I already have an XC bike Ive been riding and loving lately.  With the new shock tune done, I went back to the beginning on tuning my manitou mezzer up front.  After a fresh lowers service, I dropped a ton of pressure in both the main and IRT chambers and built up my tune from the ground up to match the new tune in the shock.  I tested it locally and it felt incredibly plush and supple over small roots, and didnt feel terribly sluggish, so that was that.

This past weekend, I took a four hour drive with a couple of my buds to my parents house up in the mountains.  As luck would have it, theyve been building an incredible trail network over the last 2 to 3 years.  All machine built flow trail, tons of rocks, slabs, and gnarly roots, jump lines.  Ive been riding it solo or with buddies from up there ever since they started building it.  But this is the first time I went with a couple of the harder charging guys I normally ride with, so effectively, this was the first time I really hit the trail properly.  Over two days we did probably 10 hours, 30 miles and 5K+ vertical worth of heavy flow trail, jank and tech.  The bike was absolutely incredible throughout.  It didn't miss a beat.  It climbed well enough, but really came alive pointed downhill.   The lower center of gravity (lower sag) led to a more in-the-bike feel (as opposed to on-top-of-the-bike feel).  It was balanced and composed while ripping berms.  Jumps and drops were comfortable and predictable.   And my god, it handles chunk like nothing Ive ever owned before.  Plowing at high speed through rock gardens, or burly root sections, the bike never once stepped out of line.  Even navigating the slow speed tech, not once did the front wheel hang up and  try and throw me over the bars.  It wasn't the usual feeling of plowing into jank at high speeds and hoping you somehow skip over everything and make it to the other side.  The bike felt in control and reactive through the chunder.  No more point and pray, it finally feels like I'm actually riding the bike.

The long and the short of it all:  I should never have tried to make this bike do double duty, especially with a well equipped stable.   I should have set it up for riding that will use full travel from the start.   I'm finally loving it the way I always hoped to.

Current setup:
Manitou Mezzer Pro at 160mm travel.  Manitou McLeod 210x55 shock with custom enduro tune / piston.   
BTLOS 29" i29 enduro carbon hoops on ZTTO M1 hubs and genuine DT Swiss 54t star ratchet.   Maxxis 29x2.3 DHF and aggressor.
Eagle xx1 cassette and chain, x01 shifter and RD.  Truvative descendent carbon cranks, Oval 28t, spank oozy pedals.
Shimano Zee 4-pot brakes.  Answer Protaper 810 carbon bars.  Brand-X Ascend dropper.

My only complaints are the shock bolts bend just by looking at them, and the pivot bearings crumble almost monthly.   I'm using my homebrew steel sex bolt and common shock mounting hardware with great success.  And I recently swapped out to some max duty bearings in the pivots.  Hopefully theyll survive a bit longer than previous ones.  Otherwise, any previous concerns have been sorted.