Author Topic: With Peter gone, who's your go-to supplier?  (Read 3159 times)

trekcarbonboy

With Peter gone, who's your go-to supplier?
« on: March 09, 2020, 04:09:55 PM »
I see that Peter has left the industry. I was very happy with his service in the past. I see that Sissy Pants is a TanTan rep who claims to have acquired Peters models but that may just be an opportunistic ploy on his part. No offense meant it's just a possibility. And I'd be happy to do business with him if there are favorable reviews of his service.

It has always been my belief and understanding that they are all selling the same frames from the same factory anyway so I'm just wondering who people are comfortable doing business with.

Still very happy with my CS.057 after 5 years of abuse but it's time for a little more comfort under my ever aging ass.

Also whats your recommended frame? Mostly XC type riding but no racing for me. Not looking for a full blown XC rig and not looking for an All Mountain rig either. And not interested in a boost frame.

Thanks
Craig

carbonazza

Re: With Peter gone, who's your go-to supplier?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 09:01:34 AM »
When Peter left the game I tried Haideli, Workswell and some more obscure Aliexpress ones.
But the recent bikes I mounted for family and friends came from carbonda.com now( about 10 orders) and rims or wheelset from lightbicycle.com( about 20 orders).
Both provides an excellent service on top of great quality products.

You should reconsider boost, it is the current standard for MTB, by not going with it, you'll end up with less options for wheels and hubs in the not so far future.

trekcarbonboy

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 12:32:22 PM »
thanks thats what I needed to know.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 02:25:28 PM »
I actually didn't realize Peter officially left the biz. This was communicated in a thread somewhere or via private email? 

carbonazza

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 03:49:47 PM »
I actually didn't realize Peter officially left the biz. This was communicated in a thread somewhere or via private email? 

I can't find the post back here in the forum, but he apparently started another business around crypto-currencies.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2020, 10:08:52 PM »
Ah okay. Yeah, I remember him mentioning an interest in crypto. Hopefully he's doing well.

tripleDot

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 04:03:48 AM »
With Peter leaving the bike industry, I have opted to go custom titanium 29er frame. Some of you know I had my first titanium frame made by Waltly but thru Peter. I sure missed Peter's services, we only had under a dozen emails within a week and the frame was built. Now, I'm on 20 something emails, approaching week 3 and we're still not done with design.
July 2020 - Custom Waltly Ti 29er
Nov 2018 - Custom Waltly Ti Gravel
Apr 2018 - CS-496 29x3.0 - stripped
Feb 2018 - CS-RB01 (SS Road)
Sep 2016 - CS-RB01 (road sold)
Jun 2016 - Chinese CF XC - stripped
Mar 2016 - Haro Projekt (sold)
Feb 2008 - Jamis Durango 29 (sold)
Mar 2001 - Scott Scale (sold)

carbonazza

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 05:43:04 AM »
With Peter leaving the bike industry, I have opted to go custom titanium 29er frame. Some of you know I had my first titanium frame made by Waltly but thru Peter. I sure missed Peter's services, we only had under a dozen emails within a week and the frame was built. Now, I'm on 20 something emails, approaching week 3 and we're still not done with design.

Is it just a communication( in English ) issue, or more than that ?
I was just starting to consider to build a Ti bike as a workhorse for cargo/adventure, but that does not look good.

tripleDot

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 01:19:08 PM »
@Carbonanza, it's more. The representative I'm dealing with was pretty good with her English. Not as good as Peter but still good. But she's obviously not a technical person. I requested for threaded BSA bb for Shimano mtb crankset and she doesn't know what standard it was. I had to be very detailed with what I wanted and also found myself repeating some details that were already previously mentioned. I initially wanted a plus bike but it us 2 design prints & a dozen emails before they told me they couldn't build it. So I opted for a regular 29er. In fairness, she is handling several clients and had been very polite. Also in the later part, she did showed initiative to actually check the actual bike that I've patterned my geometry on and was able to point out some discrepancy with my data. And request confirmation & corrections. Peter would have just auto-correct it, then inform me of the correction and save us time. Although, I understood why Waltly had to be very specific. Besides, based on my research, it seems normal that it takes a lot of emails and time with Waltly. But the results are often very satisfactory, so I'm not really worried.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 01:24:26 PM by tripleDot »
July 2020 - Custom Waltly Ti 29er
Nov 2018 - Custom Waltly Ti Gravel
Apr 2018 - CS-496 29x3.0 - stripped
Feb 2018 - CS-RB01 (SS Road)
Sep 2016 - CS-RB01 (road sold)
Jun 2016 - Chinese CF XC - stripped
Mar 2016 - Haro Projekt (sold)
Feb 2008 - Jamis Durango 29 (sold)
Mar 2001 - Scott Scale (sold)

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2020, 11:16:54 AM »
I purchased a set of carbon 27.5 x 40 wheels about a year and a half ago from yishunbike.com.  Service was pretty good, pricing was very good at the time.  Wheels are holding up very well so far.

https://www.yishunbike.com
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Squashman

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2020, 03:08:46 PM »
Would appreciate some suggestions on a frame that still uses 135 QR. I am trying to build up a bike for my son's friend. I still have a bunch of old take off parts that we are going to donate to his friend.  Mostly stuff we pulled off an old Gary Fisher SuperFly that I have upgraded over the years. Just want to get another kid riding a bike.

carbonazza

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2020, 07:13:05 AM »
Would appreciate some suggestions on a frame that still uses 135 QR. I am trying to build up a bike for my son's friend. I still have a bunch of old take off parts that we are going to donate to his friend.  Mostly stuff we pulled off an old Gary Fisher SuperFly that I have upgraded over the years. Just want to get another kid riding a bike.

Most non boost frame( and maybe boost ) come with 142/135mm interchangeable dropouts, just ask the seller to be sure.