Author Topic: Motobecane Hal Boost CF Frame  (Read 1541 times)

emu26

Motobecane Hal Boost CF Frame
« on: April 21, 2020, 06:46:43 PM »
Anyone familiar with or recognise this frame from Motobecane / Bikesdirect? Looks exactly what I have been looking for with the exception of the 68mm BSA BB.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/full-suspension-mountain-bikes/hal-cf-boost-eagle-27plus-carbon-mountain-bikes.htm

« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 06:51:16 PM by emu26 »

Carbon_Dude

Re: Motobecane Hal Boost CF Frame
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 06:45:49 PM »
Bikesdirect.com usually has some pretty good deals.  I see their Motobecane bikes out on the trails once in a while.  Unfortunately, you can't test ride the bike before you buy it. 

Also, think about the warranty, their website says 30 days, then they refer you to the manufacturer for any other warranty issues.  They say nothing at all about the bike having a frame warranty.  Most Chinese frame sellers claim they offer a 2 year warranty but it can be difficult to get them to cover a problem with the frame.

So comparing Motobecane to a bike you build yourself with components you select yourself and a Chiner frame that you can have custom painted to the color of your choice, price might be a little more expensive from bikesdirect.com and warranty is probably similar all things considered.

The bike you linked to is at least a modern carbon frame design with the inverted shock, GX Eagle 1x12, a Pike fork.  I do much prefer XT brakes over Shimano, the KS Stealth dropper is fairly low end.  I do like the threaded bottom bracket though.

I just had a friend purchase a Canyon Spectral CF 7.0, pretty nice bike with a better warranty & return policy, and I've heard really good customer service, but cost is a bit more.  I saw 4 Canyon bikes on my local trail in one day so they are also pretty popular.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

emu26

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 09:20:31 PM »
Cheers Carbondude.

I wasn't going to buy from them, not just because I am in Australia but also because I am a tight ar$e that does like to build his own bikes as cheaply as possible.  I was curious about the frame and feel pretty confident that it will have been from an open mould or at least other manufacturers, or maybe even their manufacturer, would have similar versions of it.

RobertRinAustin

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 04:28:42 PM »
Take a look at the Carbonda FM936.  http://www.carbonda.com/mountain/full-suspension/98.html

It's not exact, but it's pretty close with a little slacker HTA and the updated more vertical STA. It's probably similar to what MB will go to with their next update.

emu26

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 05:03:56 PM »
Thanks Robert. I've looked at the 936 before but the BB drop is too big for my liking. There is also a consdierable difference in frame travel 140mm for MB, 100 for 936.

Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time to look.