Author Topic: Help with components - build on a budget  (Read 6293 times)

brmeyer135

Re: Help with components - build on a budget
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2014, 02:27:13 PM »
I think that weight is for a 26"
Here is a quote from Singletracks:  http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-gear/kenda-small-block-eight-tire-review/
"Each tire weighs a respectable 520g (26 x 2.1) which means they aren’t super light but the upside is they are mega durable and stable at high speeds."

mgy

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2014, 07:09:11 AM »
guys,
do you know a european source for a 15mm axle? I've recently got my rigid fork bought from ebay and realized the one I'm using in susp fork is not matching. The rigid has not thread in it and accepts flat headed axle not tapered as my syntace.
I know I could by it from the seller who sent the fork but that takes a month to arrive at least... :(
Thanks!

cmh

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2014, 08:10:33 AM »
Coming into this late, so you might have made your decision, but re: XT vs SLX, my Rumblefish came with all SLX back in 2011, and I figured, no worries, I'll upgrade to XT as things go.  Well, it's been a couple years, that bike's had all types of use, and I am now a massive fan of SLX. In fact, there are some ways that I personally prefer SLX to XT/XTR, having had the chance to ride both higher groups on other bikes. Now, obviously, that's not to say that if you went with XT you've done badly, I love the Shimano stuff.  I'm just surprised _how_ good the new SLX is.  I would say without reservation that new SLX is notably better than XTR from only a couple of years ago.  Seriously.

Re: the Flows, those things are freakin' bomber. Depending on your weight, they're probably far more than you need.  I once hit a 3" raised concrete lip at about 20mph hard enough to double-pinch flat a Kenda Small Block 8 (not the thinnest sidewall, either) and the rim showed _nothing_ after the fact.  Just happened to catch it, you can just see the edge on the little bridge at the beginning of the video:

I've been running an Arch wheelset as well for a couple years, and even those have been bombproof, and the Arch EX should be even moreso. I'm 210-220lbs just for reference.  Even the Crests are surprisingly strong, but if you're in my weight class, they might not be _quite_ enough. Although it's not cheap, I think a Stan's ZTR/Hope Pro wheelset is close to the perfect MTB wheelset.  No experience with the Chiner carbon rim wheels, at least not yet.

brmeyer135

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2014, 11:43:22 AM »
To add about wheels, esp. Crests - they are/or were weight limited