Author Topic: Carbonda 505 Campagnolo 12X2  (Read 1297 times)

Hotskillet

Carbonda 505 Campagnolo 12X2
« on: August 16, 2020, 11:51:00 PM »
Just did a Carbonda 505 build. 2 months of planning, purchasing, stocking parts from all over the world, people backing out out of deals FU Ryanbikes, and finally the build.

Background
I must preface my input by stating This is not a debate over component brands and their origin.  simply put, the intent is to encourage & inspire DIY enthusiasts while motivating cyclists, new and old.  This build is based on personal experience with what I know and am comfortable with building.  Would love input as long as it stays on-topic.

From what I understand, Carbonda sold the 505 license to someone; (maybe Thesis?) and the 505 is no longer available.  Having said that, I have probably one of the last 505 builds.

I went going off the beaten path(no pun intended) and building a 2X12 in Campagnolo.  WHY?

I’m a 50 year old that use to road 35 years ago.  When I rode, the other 2 major component company’s we’re still in their infancy, and even back then, leaned against the grain and chose not only Campy but any Italian components like Miche, Modolo and Galli.
Fast forward today (August 2020) and as you look at 12 speed options, you quickly learn there isn’t a 2X12 road option from Shimano. I probably could have forced a 2X12 with their 1X 12 speed cassette and pieced together 2X shifters and crank but the 12 speed cassette options are really wide and definitely targeted for a 1X.  This is also the case for SRAM.  So with Italian components near and dear to my heart, and the fact the Campy had tighter/smaller gear options, I went with them.  This is the only reason why Campy.  No reason for debate as do I know the other 2 companies are outstanding.
Why gravel?  l really have not ridden outside Since the 80’s and became a Spin instructor ~13 years ago with intent to someday get back outside.   I just moved to Colorado and realize there is just as much gravel, as road so although I’ll be completely new to gravel, I figured, here is the opportunity.

Without further ado, HERE IS THE BEGINNING OF A 2x12 CAMPAGNOLO GRAVEL BIKE BUILD.

Ok shakedown ride done and done. So, without further ado, here goes the build list:

FRAME & FORK 
Carbonda 505

WHEEL SET 1
Rims: Spank Spike 33 650Bx28mm ID
Front Hub: Dirt Industries 32 hole 2.1
Rear Hub:  Stans 3.3, Campy Freehub body
Spokes: DT Swiss Revolution DB 2.0/1.5/2.0
Nipples: DT Swiss 15mm Squorx
Rim Tape: Stans
Tires: 650x47mm Specialized Pathfinder Pro

WHEELSET 2
Carbon 700c x 49x25mm ID, Stuck in Singapore...

DRIVETRAIN
Shifters: Campagnolo Chorus 12 Speed
FD: Campagnolo 12 Speed
RD: Campagnolo 12 Speed
Cassette:  Campagnolo Chorus 12, 11/29
Chain: Campagnolo Chorus 12
Crankset: FSA SLK carbon 52/36 BB386
BB:  Wheels BB386 threaded style
Cables: Campagnolo & Jagwire Elite

COCKPIT
Bars: Ritchey Streem Comp Pro III
Bar tape: Zsling 3mm