Author Topic: Stumpjumper clone  (Read 46894 times)

Guyzer73

Re: Stumpjumper clone
« Reply #90 on: April 23, 2021, 10:22:13 PM »
Hey Guys,

I had discounted this frame as it offers too much travel, I'm looking for 120mm. I probably don't need it and could live with the Ican S3 and its 110mm (with a longer stroke shock). However, I could then not increase travel if I wanted to... Not to mention this frame seems marginally lighter and looks sooo much better nd the fact OEM parts fit are a massive bonus.

So I reread this thread and noticed that the yoke (shock length extension as Specialized describe it) has changed from the 115/118mm to the 95/98mm model to allow the larger 210mm shock. So checking their website the yokes seem interchangeable. Therefore I presume I can buy their ST yoke and use the prescribed 190x42.5mm shock to get 120mm travel?

Does this make sense to anybody? Further, as I want to mullet the bike, I could use their mullet pivot to keep the geo spot on. Again does this make sense?

This would then allow me to convert back to the standard parts for longer travel in the future or give a new owner the options.

Also, whilst AWST seem responsive on the Aliexpress messaging board, they seem to want to rip me off, so does anybody have an email or skype that works and could pm it to me. The problem lies with shipping. They want to charge US$280 to Dubai when Aliexpress say its US$5 with their own shipping. From there I'd need to ship to Oman as the rates to here are between US$500 and US$1500!!!

I thinks that's it for now... No doubt have more out of the box (crazy) questions in due course ;D

Cheers

Guy

jonnybearback

« Reply #91 on: April 23, 2021, 11:58:44 PM »
whats the mullet pivot?
Does this effectively reduce the seat stay length also and raise BB?
I want to build one as a 150mm 27.5 bike, not 29..but there are no 27.5 frames available apparently from any vendor.

Guyzer73

« Reply #92 on: April 24, 2021, 02:31:06 AM »
whats the mullet pivot?
I want to build one as a 150mm 27.5 bike, not 29..but there are no 27.5 frames available apparently from any vendor.

As I understand it (probably wrongly) is that the mullet pivot would correct the geometry of the rear triangle to run a 27.5 rear and 29er front. If you wanted 27.5 front you'll would have to lengthen the fork travel to compensate for the smaller wheel diameter. Assuming you use same tyre size on the 29er and 27.5 front then only rim size is different. The difference is 19mm on the radius, so theoretically you'd need a 20mm longer fork to compensate for the 27.5 front.

However this doesn't take into account that the fork is at an angle, this reducing the vertical height gained, or the change in offset that will also have minimal impact on the geo. Plus things like HTA, STA, reach etc may also change marginally if you put a 20mm longer fork with a 27.5, over a 29er with the designed fork crown to axle length.

Hope that's right.

EDITED: Grammar and spelling.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 04:14:45 AM by Guyzer73 »

Icyseanfitz

« Reply #93 on: April 24, 2021, 04:26:54 AM »
whats the mullet pivot?

Ican p9 can be built up in 27.5 @ 150mm

jonnybearback

« Reply #94 on: April 24, 2021, 11:13:24 AM »
Yep, short in reach and heard too many issues even with the extra Evolve qc so prefer to avoid.

chetosmachine

« Reply #95 on: April 25, 2021, 04:29:10 AM »
Can you list those issues with the P9?

Icyseanfitz

« Reply #96 on: April 25, 2021, 04:56:50 AM »
Yep, short in reach and heard too many issues even with the extra Evolve qc so prefer to avoid.

Would really like to hear issues as well, did a lot of research before starting my p9 build and have seen very little/no issues

spth7ch

« Reply #97 on: April 25, 2021, 11:44:14 AM »
I've raised an order to Airwolf (through Aliexpress) and received the frame.
Even if the bike is not yet built (I miss the Hunt bike wheels), it's time for first feedback.

Pros :
- communication was smooth
- paint quality is nice (but not perfect)
- additional parts were received as expected : headset, rear axle, chain guide, seat post clamp (really bulky)
- original Specialized chainstay protector (S186900003) fits like a glove
- delivery was pretty fast : order placed 4th of March / frame received 8th of April

Cons :
- As received, friction for some pivots (circled in green on the schematic) is incredibily high. Basically, it's a hardtail.
Of course, it's a problem.
It also means that no quality control is performed.

For swingarm main pivot (problem was only on left side) : I managed to fix it by myself (I put an additional homemade washer between the bearing and the spacer).
By using original Specialized hardware, problem also is fixed. It seems improvement is procured by different shape in spacers.
Another great improvement provided by Specialized is integrated seal in bolts.

For pivots between S-Link, use of original Specialized hardware improves the situation. However, it's still far from providing a smooth rotation.
Airwolf told me that they'll send 2 spacers. I'm dubious but who knows.

- there's a thread in left chainstay for brake hose clamp. Clamp is not provided (it's not told to be provided) and I can't find the original Specialized part. I think I'll adapt a Fox fork clamp.
- Bottom bracket is told to be BSA 68mm. Actually it's BSA 73mm. No consequence for me but strange/disapointing that such a basic information goes wrong.
- swingarm main pivot : for Specialized model, on right side you've a left-hand thread. On Airwolf model, it's a standard right-hand thread. You can't use the Specialized bolt (but you can transfer the seal from Specialized bolt to Airwolf bolt).
- seems that Specialized model has 3 no head screws for the internal routing. You don't have thread in Airwolf model.
- downtube protector : Specialized S184200063 may work but I don't see how to set it in position. I'll probably have to go with glue.
- Headset assembly is not totally clear for me : bearings OK crown race OK split compression ring OK Top cover OK. Spacers between top bearing and top cover ? Seal position ???????

Price paid :
868 $ for frame + delivery to France using standard Aliexpress shipment
+ extra 30 $ for metallic paint
+ extra 96 $ for express shipment (I was told that this express shipment will be done with DHL : it was not true : wxy-express was used / I was told that this express shipment will avoid custom tax : it was true)

jonnybearback

« Reply #98 on: April 25, 2021, 01:16:03 PM »
that black seal likely sits in the headset top cap (top right)

P9 issues, sample size of 2 owners, 2 warrantys each. Head tube tolerance and de bonded thread inserts.

Icyseanfitz

« Reply #99 on: April 25, 2021, 02:03:49 PM »
that black seal likely sits in the headset top cap (top right)

P9 issues, sample size of 2 owners, 2 warrantys each. Head tube tolerance and de bonded thread inserts.

Hopefully won't run into any of said issues with my build, headtube tolerance? As in headtube snapping off or cracking?

chetosmachine

« Reply #100 on: April 25, 2021, 02:42:32 PM »
My P9 is perfect and going to be 3 years in june.

jonnybearback

« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2021, 05:58:18 PM »
"headtube tolerance"
Not round in these cases.

dopestar

« Reply #102 on: April 27, 2021, 03:38:46 AM »

Pros :
- communication was smooth
- paint quality is nice (but not perfect)
- additional parts were received as expected : headset, rear axle, chain guide, seat post clamp (really bulky)
- original Specialized chainstay protector (S186900003) fits like a glove
- delivery was pretty fast : order placed 4th of March / frame received 8th of April

Where did you order the Chainstay protector? Can you give me the link?

Icyseanfitz

« Reply #103 on: April 27, 2021, 06:41:46 AM »
"headtube tolerance"
Not round in these cases.

Not an issue with mine thankfully, have a Chris king dropset sitting nicely in it

spth7ch

« Reply #104 on: April 27, 2021, 06:45:04 AM »

Where did you order the Chainstay protector? Can you give me the link?

I placed my order to : https://www.cingolanibikeshop.com/

It seems that you can also order to : https://webshop.bestbike.de/

As far as I remember, shipping cost are pretty high in both cases.