Author Topic: ZTTO BB92 BB86 threaded bottom brackets.  (Read 8174 times)

RobertRinAustin

Re: ZTTO BB92 BB86 threaded bottom brackets.
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2021, 10:07:18 AM »
Where did you all buy yours? Any affordable (<50 EUR) alternatives to recommend?
You can usually find Shimano XT BBs for $30. I bought an XTR lon Ali late last year for $25 shipped.

adriaanm

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2021, 01:21:04 PM »
Actually, I just realized ??? do you need two bottom bracket wrenches to install or does one side stay put due to friction?

theirishrider

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2021, 03:22:26 PM »
Actually, I just realized ??? do you need two bottom bracket wrenches to install or does one side stay put due to friction?

2 is easier but you can use one with the friction and your fingers :)

emu26

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2021, 11:02:53 PM »
I have 2 but found I only needed the one to do it up sufficiently tight.

That pic that Adriaanm posted showing the filed down notches is really telling re my problem. Look at how "proud" that plastic shim sits from the face of the aluminium body.  If you look at other brand screw together bb's the face the crank arm sits against is level with or slightly lower than the outside face of the aluminium body.  When my new cranks and bb arrive i think I'll bite the bullet and pull the ZTTO apart to see why the bearing covers sit so high. If they sat lower I'm sure the spindle on the cranks I have would be long enough.

Bikeoiv

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2021, 04:56:29 PM »
Hi!
I'm planning to order my first total bike build, and want to use this bb.

When installing did you use a bb-press first, then screw in the other side (seen this on an MFG installation tutorial), or only the wrench?
I've read the posts above, but being a noob I just want to be sure that I order the right tools.

carbonazza

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2021, 05:39:59 PM »
You can only use the wrench.

But a press will allow you to replace the bearings.
Look for Muzqi on aliexpress.

emu26

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2021, 03:13:19 AM »
I just greased mine up, pushed one side in then pushed the other side in until it "engaged" the first side. Turned them by hand until they got too tight then used a bb wrench to tighten.  Pretty easy installation.

Confused

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2021, 07:16:18 AM »
I installed one with the ceramic bearings.  No issues but next time I might get the standard bearing version and swap the bearings out for enduro ones. 

beercity

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2021, 11:20:28 AM »
Is anyone else concerned about the notches and how it might grind away at the bottom bracket shell? Mine is pretty rough on the inside surface where it should mate against the BB shell. I might at least take some high-grit sandpaper and smooth it out. It would be nice if they left enough clearance there for a .5mm washer on each side.

Funks

« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2021, 08:35:07 PM »
Trying out the ZTTO Thread Together Press Fit bottom bracket.   Proactively replaced the bearings with some Japanese ones - we’ll see how long it lasts.

Aluminum shell machining looks great, the bearing has an ID of 25mm (instead of 24mm) so a plastic shim / spacer is used (similar to what Shimano does with their press-fit BB's).  Looks like it's made out of ABS plastic, probably gonna disintegrate over time.   Would have been nice if they made it out of Delrin instead (as that would have been tough, and will pretty much last a lifetime).  Bearings used are 6805-2RS (25mm bore, 37mm OD, 7mm width).

The others i've tried (Wheels Mfg BB86-OUT, and the Origin 8 Revolvr ) uses a bearing with a 24mm ID so no shim required (crank spindle contacts the Id of the bearing).  Bearing used are MR2437 ( 24mm bore, 37mm OD, 7mm width).   That direct contact though, causes the spindle to wear (as you can see from my crank, the shiny part).

Pretty easy to replace the bearings on these things as long as you got the proper tools.   If one wanted to get rid of the plastic shim/spacer and make it direct contact, just replace the bearings on the ZTTO with MR2437 bearings, then buy the Wheels MFG Shim Spacer Pack (SHIM-SPACER-PK)

« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 02:06:06 AM by Funks »

Aesch

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2021, 02:14:45 PM »
Nice! What bearing press/kit do you use?

Funks

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2021, 02:07:16 AM »
Nice! What bearing press/kit do you use?

RRP (RapidRacerProducts) Bearing Press, and the Proper Drifts (sold separately).

curvenut

kenji

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2023, 02:55:59 AM »
Hi,
I have installed a ztto BB86 threaded BB on my new frame (Speeder Cycling SC 52D), but after a few rides the bb is creaking  :(
Any of you experienced this and found a solution ?

I have the ceramic version, and the crankset is a Red AXS GXP. I just threaded the cups and installed the GXP adapter for the non-drive side.
On the Token Ninja I think a wavy washer is required on the drive side, but ztto dot not provide this washer so I thought it was not necessary ?

carbonazza

« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2023, 09:08:54 PM »
First you have to be sure the noise is coming from the BB.
As a creak can come from many places and resonate through the frame like a drum: pedals, screws of the ring(s) or the rear hanger not properly tightened, seatpost, stem/bar, loose wheel axles, cassette, rear hub bearings or free wheel parts,...

Ideally check out all this on a home trainer with someone else listening where the noise originate. And try to replace the easy part you think could creak, eg: pedals, rear wheel

Then, or if you are certain it is the BB.
Check the smoothness of the non drive side bearings, it is the one that generally dies first with gxp.
If not smooth, replace bearings. Either with a good brand SKF, NTM,... that will last a little longer, or buy them by the dozen on aliexpress and consider it as a disposable part.

The  wavy washer is there to take any slack and preload the non drive side bearings that takes all lateral load.