Author Topic: TanTan TT-X21 frame  (Read 25090 times)

FHS

Re: TanTan TT-X21 frame
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2021, 03:13:01 PM »
Hi All,

My X21 build is almost done. It's mostly new components but I'm waiting on things like correct sized bolts for brakes. I have used shifters with an overtightened bleed port cover that I had to pretty much destroy to remove. Its holding the brake fluid, but ordered a replacement. I also have a loose headset that I can't seem to tighten down with the supplied compressor assembly.  Might have to go to the LBS for that.

imperyal

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2021, 04:44:45 AM »
My TT-X21 frame should arrive tomorrow (according to UPS tracking info)...

imperyal

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2021, 07:59:09 AM »
Here is my TT-X21 frame, it is bare carbon, no primer or paint, I will do it myself.

carbonazza

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2021, 09:15:46 AM »
I look forward to your painting !
Something I'd definitely like to try in a next build.

I just saw today on MTBR a guy who had a neat trick to hang the frame while painting:
https://www.mtbr.com/threads/chinese-carbon-29er.640919/page-497

FHS

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2021, 09:39:15 AM »
Fantastic! Looks good.

Did they put the tubes through the frame for the internal cables, or did you do that? Mine came without them, but the cables through the frame were super easy to do even without the tubes or a Park Tools Kit. Looks like you got a different set of handlebars, which, for me, are different than the ones pictured on their site.

Just an fyi about my headset issues. Turns out, a lot of the front end play came from the front axle. The axle I bought from TanTan just didn't quite fit  the fork and will not tighten enough to take up play. I tried switching out the thru axles from my old bike first, but it does seem to be an issue with the T21 fork at least partly. I had to fit a small spacer for the front axle, but that that did care of the axle problem.

Most of the rest of the headset issue was with the compression plug. It kept slipping, even after a thorough inside cleaning of the steerer, so I replaced it with an FSA compression plug. That took care of most of the rest of the issues. Lastly, I don't really know if I have the headset bearings in as intended. I put the shorter height black bearing at the bottom and taller height red bearing at the top because they just seem to be a cleaner fit that way. At this point, my headset has no play at all and works nice and smooth, but I can't tighten the top cap enough to dampen the steering at all.

Anyway, looking forward to the build!

imperyal

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2021, 10:31:25 AM »
The cable guides came already installed. I think they have two handlebar models.

http://www.tantancycling.com/index.php?_m=mod_product&_a=view&p_id=843

Thank you for your fyi FHS :D

I will post my progress. Unfortunately, here in Portugal the pandemic is out of control, I don't know if I can get the things I need to paint the bike.  :-\
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 10:37:33 AM by imperyal »

Nicoloc

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2021, 12:05:12 PM »
hi all
Speaking about internal routing , does the hose going internal too (like on mtb) ? or does the hose stops at the frame's hole and then jonly able is routed internally ?
i'm about to build my roadie bike, and that would be my first one ...
thanks 
Nicoloc

FHS

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2021, 02:18:18 PM »
Hi Nicoloc,

On the TT-X21, and other internal frames/handlebars I guess, the cables/hoses go straight through the bars, stem, head tube, and into the rest of the frame without ever exiting the bike. This is my first bike build, as well, and on the TT-X21 as far as I know, you have to run the cable housing all the way through, one piece. There are no guides inside the frame for cables or the housing. I added some housing dampener and everything seems to be working fine.

Clarification, the rear derailleur cable housing runs all the way from the shifter, into the handlebars, stem, and frame, then exits the bike at the rear, running all the way to the derailleur in one piece. I didn't see another way to run cables to the RD by using the short piece of housing that comes with the rear derailleur.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 02:25:51 PM by FHS »

BrianO

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2021, 08:50:37 AM »
HI All
I ordered a TT-X21 on the 18th November. It was shipped on the 15th December.
I just got a notice that it it is at custom clearance having traveled via train from China.
Nearly there

imperyal

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2021, 09:27:57 AM »
God luck for you too, we already have a little family of TT-X21 owners here  ;D

carbonazza

« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2021, 03:09:23 PM »
HI All
I ordered a TT-X21 on the 18th November. It was shipped on the 15th December.
I just got a notice that it it is at custom clearance having traveled via train from China.
Nearly there

Do you see where that train started and where does it stops?
And how many days is the trip?
Are you in Europe?

BrianO

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2021, 05:10:10 PM »
The train goes through China, Kazastan, Russia and finished in Berlin.
Locations are  Dostyq, Kurgan, Minsk and Berlin,
It’s a continental container trainline
I’m in Europe

Here is a UPS story about this line. Tan tan use DPD
https://www.pressroom.ups.com/pressroom/ContentDetailsViewer.page?ConceptType=PressReleases&id=1490641127583-655
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 02:48:11 AM by BrianO »

BrianO

« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2021, 05:34:49 PM »
I decided to be true to the chinese concept and sourced everything from there. The Groupset is Sensah Empire Pro, with the Ztrace 140mm disk brakes. I made a mistake with the Bottom Bracket, I ordered a ZTTO BB86 25mmm and not a 30mm. So I need to get another one. One came with the groupset but it doesnt look great. The wheelset is carbon Elite with 50mm depth rims. Sorry i got the white decals. I forgot to order the Thru axles, so I am scrambling to get them online. There seems to be a global shortage as many people have bought them for indoor trainers.

Looking forward to the build!!

BrianO

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2021, 06:54:55 PM »
The frame finally arrived. It was well packed and the quality looks excellent. The lower fork bearing fits.
I ordered an extra derailleur hanger and handle bar spacers, but these were not included.

I have a dilemma. I got a Ztrace press fit Bottom Bracket with the groupset, I ordered a ZTTO BB86 threaded press fit bottom bracket, but ordered the 24mm instead of the 30mm. I am waiting on the replacement. Do I build the bike with what I have or wait for the better Bottom Bracket? I am concerned about removing the pressfit bottom bracket.

The frame is 1160grams.

FHS

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2021, 10:36:58 PM »
Nice, looks good.

How long would you have to wait for the bottom bracket?