Author Topic: 2021 NEW Carbon frame 29er suspension mountain BSA XC MTB travel 100mm FM027  (Read 5778 times)

mtbluvr68

So broke the chain stay on my 2014 Scott Spark 950, been a great Full squish aluminum XC bike.  The replacement part is about 120 days out so in the mean time I order this frame hopefully to come in sooner so I can ride XC around Houston and will also build a 130/140mm probably ICAN cycling P1 late spring. 

Order via ebay from Tan Tan sports,  like the geometry of this better than the Tideace 100mm bike  and I was able to get 12X142 rear end so that I don't have to screw with chainline or boostinating my Light bicycle carbon wheels.   
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 10:14:35 AM by mtbluvr68 »

2021 Tan Tan Seraph FM027  w/Light Bicycle wheels(XC)
2022 Marin Rift Zone 3 w/ elite wheels (trail)
2021 Tideace FMR185 w/Light Bicycle Wheels (road)
2023  Chasing Wind w/ elite wheels (Gravel)

ChinerDetroit

curious why you didn't buy direct vs ebay

mtbluvr68

I didn't see any relative savings buying direct.  I like the customer back up of buying through Ebay and/or Aliexpress and using paypal. 

mtbluvr68

Ordered on 11/17/2020 on Ebay  arrived today 01/19/21 , via UPS.  Packaged very well, including rear axle and headset.  Will unwrap tonight.  Frame came with bottom spacers to run old style shock so will see if that works rather than purchasing a 165X40mm trunnion shock. 

mtbluvr68

Here's the finished product.  They wanted a month to put the decals on it,  so I nixed that.  Took 60 days from order to arrival and another 2 weeks for me to get off my rear and put it together.  The rear suspension is nicer than my Scott Spark 950 was but otherwise it rides fairly similar and is fun and playful. Look forward to racing it.  All of the components except the stem came from my Scott.   

Frame is 100 mil front and rear, it came with the spacers to run a 165X38 shock.  I can't tell you how much I love the BSA BB.  Thread in beats the hell out of press fit..

21" BSA Seraph/Tan Tan Frame 12X142 rear end
Race Face Next carbon rise bar 720 mm
FSA 80 mm riser stem
Mind the ESI Chunky grips they'll be replaced by ODI rogue with orange clamps
Carbon spacers
Fox 32 Fit Terralogic 100 mm Fork
Fox Performance  DPS EVOL 165 X38 rear shock
Shimano XT groupset 1X 11  with 11-46 Cassette
Shimano BSA Hollowtech 2 BB
RaceFace 32T nw Chainring
WTB Pure Race  saddle
Brand X Ascend 125 mm dropper
Gub Seat post Double Clamp
Garmin over/under mount
Blackburn carbon bottle cage
Original Free Range Tube Gaiter Tube Holder
Light Bicycle Carbon Wheels  w/RM29C19 Rims in 12K Matte  32 holes with Hope Pro 2 Evo Hubs
Front Tire:  Vittoria Mezcal 29X2.35   Tubeless
Rear Tire:   Maxxis Ardent Race 29X2.35  Tubeless

« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 04:36:58 PM by mtbluvr68 »

RobertRinAustin

Looks like a fast fun ride.

dan_cx

What size Scott were you on before this? I'm trying to decide on a 19" or 21" frame. I'm 5'11"/180cm, with a 32"/81cm inseam. I'm kind of right on the line between the tow sizes.
SRAM Neutral Race Support Mechanic

mtbluvr68

I'm 6'4.  I rode a XL  on the scott and this bike fits perfect.  I have an 80mm stem and just changed fork to 120mm ST Suntour Axon that is 46 mm offset and its pretty plus.  With the FOX DPS evol shock its hard to tell its only 100mm at rear end.  All my bikes are XL 

tonybonekhang

I just ordered this same frame.  I was wondering if anyone help me out with some questions.  I bought a Rockshox Monarch XX 165x38 standard mount rear shock and wanted to make sure I have all the right parts for when the frame arrives. 

You mentioned the frame came with spacers and you had no problems installing the shock.  Can you elaborate on this?  Did the bike come with the right sized bolts that can be used?  Also my shock did not come with bushings so will I be ok if I install 1/2" bushings on the shock?  I'd be interested if you had any more pictures of the shock mount. 

Thanks in advance and sorry for the questions - this is my first build.

mtbluvr68

This is a picture sent to me by TanTan.  I emailed them asking if I could buy a spare set of the shock mount hardware.  It costs $60.00 + $10.00 shipping for these 2 barrel bolts.  In the picture top bolt is roughly 70mm length with and 8mm diameter with an m6 screw, this bolt is actually the bottom bolt in the shock mount and the shock mounts upside down.  There are 2 14 mm spacers that go on either side of the 22X8mm shock hardware.  The bottom bolt in the picture is roughly 28mm X 8 mm with an m6 screw, and its the top mount hardware.  Top is 22 mm inside width, bottom is 50 mm inside width.  The linkage is metal, i believe aluminum. 

tonybonekhang

Thank you mrbluvr68 - that is very helpful and the exact response I was looking for. 

Tantan actually got back to me and provided this photo as well.  It looks like your suggestion is correct.  For my rockshox fork I will need the 22mm x 8mm mounting hardware for the top and bottom mounts.

RobertRinAustin

This is a picture sent to me by TanTan.  I emailed them asking if I could buy a spare set of the shock mount hardware.  It costs $60.00 + $10.00 shipping for these 2 barrel bolts.  In the picture top bolt is roughly 70mm length with and 8mm diameter with an m6 screw, this bolt is actually the bottom bolt in the shock mount and the shock mounts upside down.  There are 2 14 mm spacers that go on either side of the 22X8mm shock hardware.  The bottom bolt in the picture is roughly 28mm X 8 mm with an m6 screw, and its the top mount hardware.  Top is 22 mm inside width, bottom is 50 mm inside width.  The linkage is metal, i believe aluminum.
Those are called sex bolts and are usually less than $10 for high quality options.

mtbluvr68

Yes, the manufacturer called Barrel bolt ,  aka sex bolts.  Mcmaster-Carr sells 70mm high tensile strength version that I'll probably buy. 

mtbluvr68

So the frame suffered a catastrophic failure today.  On easy Houston single track called the possum,  the possum bit , and the seat tube cracked then completely broke at the point that it makes a bend right at the shock hardware mid mount.  Hopefully TanTan doesn't take forever with the warranty stuff. 

scourge

I think you could keep riding it until the replacement arrives.