Author Topic: IP-036 Fully MTB beeing made in Germany  (Read 7876 times)

pre10dr

IP-036 Fully MTB beeing made in Germany
« on: September 29, 2014, 03:11:07 PM »
Hi this is Thomas reporting live from Germany on how my MTB build is evolving.

Currently at the planning stage i settled upon an IP-036 frame for my upcoming bike build. I´m aiming for a light bike but wont count grams, especially since most of the super high end items are fairly expensive here in Germany. So probably XT will have to cut it.

Colors you ask? Well there is is a vision (colorwise) attached here.
(Sorry carbondude for using your image, if thats a problem ill remove it asap)

Stuff to figure out
What wheels do i want?
- 2014 N-SS IP-HR930C
- 2014 high-end DSS IP-HR930C
Both sound fine. Hookeless is supposed to be a bit more rugged. For Everything else all the items from iplay sound alike to me. Any advice?

Missing something ?
Iam going to order frame, wheelset, seatpost and handlebar from china. Any extra nitty gritty i should get with my order? Like essential replacement parts hard to get here in Germany?

Whats next?
German customs are a bit bureaucratic.. have to talk to an army friend of mine and see if i can get the order through to an army PO. Don´t mean to do tax evasion but  bureaucratic evasion.

MTB2223

Re: IP-036 Fully MTB beeing made in Germany
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 03:42:53 PM »
It's funny you said that most of the parts are expensive in Germany. I ordered my XT group and Rockshox fork by actionsports.de, because it was much cheaper than in The Netherlands.

The wheelset N-SS IP-HR930C with Novatec D771/D772 is great. I can recommend it.

When I ordered my frame by XmiPlay, I ordered the headset (with extra shims), a spare 142x12 part, a chainsuck/stay protector and also some spacers for the fork/handlebar.

For the handlebar, stem and seatpost I looked at AliExpress and found a nice Ritchey replica handlebar kit for a very cheap price. I found there also a nice saddle (spider). Didn't expect much of this saddle, but it sits very well and it's nice looking.

About your design (colors) that's personal. If you like it, do it. Don't care what others think.
I choose UD matte black. Because I couldn't choose. And I was/am afraid for cracks in the painting, because a carbon frame have some flex. So, I choose UD matte black and some red accents ( like red seatclamp, red hubs, red spoke nipples, red cable stops).

Please take a look at my building list and you won't miss anything (I hope).
http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,184.msg1473.html#msg1473
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 03:44:57 PM by MTB2223 »

Sussed.

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 04:22:43 PM »
Welcome to the world of Chiners pre10dr

Great to see another IP-036 in the pipeline !

MTB223 has pretty much covered it.  I am in the UK and ordered my XX1 drivetrain and tyres from Germany as they were around 15-20% cheaper from there ( www.bike-discount.de). 

I would order everything carbon you can from your Chindor, frame, wheels, post, bars, spacers etc as it will save on shipping costs !  Everything else just google hard for the best prices. 

Keep your thread active as we all like to see progress and of course pics !!

brmeyer135

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 04:44:22 PM »
Others, suggest an extra derailleur hanger also.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 05:06:55 PM »
I don't mind you using my picture, I like the color scheme and it's not the first "Gulf Livery" paint scheme I've seen on a Chiner frame.  If you can get a black fork (instead of the white) it might look really good.

Usually Peter with throw in the seat post clamp for free.

Other than that, I think you are off to a very good start.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 05:10:47 PM by Carbon_Dude »
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Ken4

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 06:19:14 PM »
One thing holding me back from a full suss chiner is the shock. What size fits? And is there any special hardware to buy to make the shock ends (bushings) fit onto the frame? And why does the travel say 100-110mm, does it mean u can fit longer shocks for more travel? Hope my queries do not put a dent in yr project, but will help the rest of us understand the full suss chiners better.

carbonazza

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 07:03:45 PM »
A note about painted frame arriving in Europe.

A painted frame from China, falls under the TARIC  code 8714 91 10 39 - 8900.
Which gets a 48.5% anti dumping fee. The VAT comes on top of the sum.

However if you keep it raw carbon.
It falls under the TARIC code 8714 91 10 89.
There is no anti dumping. Just the VAT.

The same applies for wheels coming from China.
If they are laced, you get the same anti-dumping tax.
While raw carbon rims, do not get it.

You may be lucky, and pass through the net. Or use your military trick to avoid all this.
For now some countries like Spain, the UK and the Netherlands do not apply it systematically.
But I heard from the customs here, they will enforce this law in all EU countries.

Vipassana

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 07:05:25 PM »
I would agree with what was said earlier about ordering EVERYTHING Chinese carbon that you can.  Except for the stem.  I have iPlay handle bars, seatpost, bottle cages, wheels, frame, and fork and so far, all have been exceptional.  A friend ordered the stem and it was kind of crappy and he ended up not using it.

But the money saved on the other components, coupled with how well they've worked for me, I'm sold.  They are not that expensive.  I found the axles, FSA headset, and extra dropouts to be good as well.  Especially considering the price and the free shipping.

As far as the rims, what type of riding will you be doing?  I have the hookless and they have been flawless so far though I don't really thrash my wheels.  They've had a number of rock strikes and chips and are still great.  I would go with a hookless rim in the 30mm outer/26mm inner width.  The wider rims come at a bit of a weight penalty compared to the traditional XC width rims, but I think they make for a better platform for tubeless tires.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 07:08:39 PM by Vipassana »

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 07:36:45 PM »
One thing holding me back from a full suss chiner is the shock. What size fits? And is there any special hardware to buy to make the shock ends (bushings) fit onto the frame? And why does the travel say 100-110mm, does it mean u can fit longer shocks for more travel? Hope my queries do not put a dent in yr project, but will help the rest of us understand the full suss chiners better.

Shock size for the IP-036 is 6.5x1.5, I needed to purchase a bushing for one end of the shock, the bushing that came with the shock was too large for my frame.  I would suggest ordering the shock and the frame, fitting the shock to the frame and determining if you need a different bushing.  Bushings for the Fox CTD shock that I bought are available from Pricepoint in all the sizes you may need.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Ken4

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 10:10:41 PM »
Carbon Dude, are you referring to fox bushings like these:

http://www.jensonusa.com/Rear-Shock-Parts/Fox-Shox-Polymer-Du-Bushing-Reducer-Kit

Where the dia is most likely 6mm, and we just need to determine the correct length of the bushing?

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 10:32:04 PM »
Welcome pre10dr! Hope you find the forum helpful in building your bike, I agree with others have said.. get all chiner components except the stem, and maybe even the stem and just replace it if you feel it's not up to par.

A note about painted frame arriving in Europe.

A painted frame from China, falls under the TARIC  code 8714 91 10 39 - 8900.
Which gets a 48.5% anti dumping fee. The VAT comes on top of the sum.

However if you keep it raw carbon.
It falls under the TARIC code 8714 91 10 89.
There is no anti dumping. Just the VAT.

The same applies for wheels coming from China.
If they are laced, you get the same anti-dumping tax.
While raw carbon rims, do not get it.

You may be lucky, and pass through the net. Or use your military trick to avoid all this.
For now some countries like Spain, the UK and the Netherlands do not apply it systematically.
But I heard from the customs here, they will enforce this law in all EU countries.

Wait, what?

So... depending on your finish (or lack thereof) it will be taxed differently? Man, that kinda sucks that they hit some of you guys up so hard to get it shipped into the country!

Does it not make going the way of the chiner less beneficial? I mean.. if you just bought a name brand frame you could avoid all these extra charges, I assume? But they are also more expensive, or what? Sorry, I'm sure I'm sounding pretty ignorant, just trying to understand how it all works.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 10:33:49 PM by Sitar_Ned »

MTB2223

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 12:45:04 AM »
Why not a Chinese stem?

Vipassana

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 02:21:14 AM »
My coworker bought the Iplay one and it wasn't great.  First problem is that it was heavier than Taiwanese alloy ones that can be found all over eBay.  Then, it had a strange lump on it where the steerer tube clamp bolts screwed into it.  It looked like the bolts were to long and they had started to break through the other side when tightened.  It was super hard to tighten the stem down to get it to stop rotating in the steerer tube as well. Lastly, both clamping areas were covered in black paint and contributed to the difficulty installing the stem on the fork and the bars in the stem.  All around it was a pretty lousy part for the price.  As I said, the cheap alloy Taiwanese stems are half the cost, come in more sizes and colors with better graphics and a lighter weight. They also look slimmer and lighter as silly as that sounds.

Gliderboy

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 03:34:43 AM »
Pre10dr

I build a IP-036 in August. My build was pretty easy, and the bike is great. Two things caused some trouble, so my advice is:

1. Purchase a neco headset from Peter/xmiplay - I tried 2-3 bearings from Chainreaction, none of them fit 100%. It´s the top bearing that's tricky and the neco is 100%.

2. Bottom bracket - after 2 x shimano pressfit I purchased a https://praxiscycles.com/product/shimano-conversion-bb/
You have to go with the 68mm road one, because the width of the IP-036 is only 68mm and not 73mm like "normal" mtb´s.

Happy building
Jan / Denmark

Fully MTB IP-036 in 2016 - Gravel GR-002 in 2021

carbonazza

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 04:28:55 AM »
Sitar_Ned, there is no logic there.

I tried to understand the law, which seems to originate from the european commission finding that China is sponsoring unfairly its steel industry.

Bike are made of steel, right? So let's put the anti dumping taxes on bikes coming from China too. Oh yeah, good idea!
But wait... most bikes are made of Aluminium these days. Ah ok, so let's put them too in the anti dumping bag.
But wait...wait... what is this? A bike frame, made in... carbon... hum... is it painted or lacquered? Yes. Ah ok, put it in the bag too.

I tried to talk to these guys to show them the absurdity of the situation.
It is hopeless.

And best of all, the post office applied the lacquered TARIC code on my raw carbon frame, by mistake.
So I got the anti dumping.
The customs recognised the mistake, but the postman didn't reimburse me yet after 2 months.